Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Well, yes it is. He was trying to establish what influence NK has over RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Stanley built him up - distracted him. And then destroyed him with the nature of the contract and how unbelievable he is in terms of running his business. Killed him.

"There was nothing to stop it coming in an envelope and signing it… but you didn't… that deal is not credible, the way it's framed."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Tubs actually seems like a useful idiot to Kelly and his demeanor casts him as not the sharpest at all.

How did this talentless individual make it. His interviewing style has always been rigid and he struggles with anything off the cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Room 4 at 3PM (on the Oireachtas TV site) for the next session folks

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

What time are we back at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Should have gone through the list of Top 10 and ask him whether they were current or previous clients he had.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Diamond Joe Quimby

Stanley should be removed as chair.

"The chairperson is responsible for chairing committee meetings and making decisions (rulings) on procedural issues. The chairperson must act in an impartial manner. For that reason, if a chairperson wishes to express a view favouring one side of a discussion, he/she should vacate the chair and become an ordinary member of the committee for the duration of that debate."

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NK should get Cadbury's to release a limited edition chocalate bar to commemorate today's meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeah I think Tubridy must have forgotten the camera was on him when they were grilling Kelly. It was comical looking at him squirming and knowing the game is up.

I'm sure himself and Noel Kelly feel that that they have enough of a hold on RTE to get him back on air but I'd bet the other presenters represented by Noel Kelly will leave him before they even think about leaving RTE.

That was a complete and utter cluster **** from Ryan Tubridy. A solidly insincere and untrustworthy person. A second hand car salesman has more charisma.

Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The the absolute self-importance entitlement oozing off Ryan Tubriby for that whole thing the facade really came off him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

I think Ryan just saved his career at RTE today

Ryan has cleaned himself of allot of the mud that RTE flung at him,through no fault of his own. RTE look worse now

Ryan will be back on a "new" RTE for the Autumn schedule. That is pretty much a guarantee

RTE will have a new DG, new CFO, new financial controls, new board, new cultural changes at RTE. They will want to keep their most well known stars

RTE needs Ryan more than Ryan needs RTe

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . It boils down to his later statements that it was " unbelievable " and " who runs RTE . "

NK could have asked for double that, is the implication, and a cheque would have been written .

The invoices and contracts were just window dressing and an afterthought , is what I got from that.

Stanley speaks like an ordinary person and thinks like an ordinary person but nothing wrong with that whole exchange imo , as an ordinary person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

From the oscar bait opening statement to the "Just taking orders" defence, that was a shitshow for the two stooges.

One thing I can't understand is how Tubridy thinks he is ever going to work for RTE again? He has thrown them right under the bus and sat there as his agent reversed it back for another go, he can't possibly believe that he can just swan back in there and pretend none of this ever happened?

Is he really that deluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

When NK was talking about the team I was half expecting him to say that RT took one for the team 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Saying that you were just following RTE instructions, that's "the Nuremberg defence" - that was a great line.

The only things that really stuck on NK were sending invoices to (foreign) companies he'd never heard of, without questioning them. And not signing such an important document.

Not a whole lot stuck on Tubs, I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Did Boards ever figure out a way to show the Most Thanked posts of the day?

That was a handy feature on the old site and would have been great on a day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would someone ask "Mr Turbidy if you agreed to take a paycut why did you sign a contract with RTE that contractually guaranteed you the additional €75k even if the commercial sponsor pulled out?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Of course he doesn't think he'll work for RTE again.

But admitting that implies - rightly or wrongly - that he acknowledges he shouldn't be allowed to.

Him implying that he believes he'll work for RTE again is just another "I've done nothing wrong" attestation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He has thrown them right under the bus and sat there as his agent reversed it back for another go

A great description.

I didn't get to watch very much but from what I saw, they were well rattled, visibly so.

And yes, I think Tubridy is that deluded. He has lived all his working life in the parallel universe that is RTE. He thinks he can swan back in there one of the days ho ho ho-ing with his (most likely underpaid) colleagues - the researchers and other people who do the real work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

And yet we have political correspondents telling us that Stanley and his crew are a shoe in to form the next government! Not a chance. We have a SF TD in tipp who's only claim to fame before, or since, the last election was organising darts tournaments. Another beauty got elected even though she reckoned her chances were so slim that she went off on holiday instead of canvassing. On top of that Mary Lou is Mia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not with fraud no, in fact that's how many frauds are carried out, one party instructing a colluding partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And yet they started later that RT still owes Renault six appearances. Nobody picked up on that contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Yes and this default position of theirs will harm them and their earning potential into the future.

Serious enough blow, that they probably never saw coming. Blinded by thier own own reflectons

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That line is the similar line of thinking to Pat Kenny mentioning the waste of money on the 150m hospital trying to frame it beside the RTE fiasco.

The problem when it comes down to it is the culture of RTE, all these little reputational cuts build up.

None of which could be likely said to be proven 'beyond a reasonable doubt' in court to prove illegality. But taken cumulatively they will leave a massive scar on RTE. Tubridy seems more keen to rebuild his image/trust and obviously feels he has been made 'the face' of the fiasco through no fault of his own,

Noel Kelly and Tubridy both know if they navigate themselves through the committees from here on after, they can refer that they made their statements in the committee, read the documents etc.

Nothing will likely happen them in a legal sense as nothing illegal has been uncovered. Just bad practice/lack of oversight from both RTE and Noel Kelly.

When Tubridy was pressed he said he probably should have kept 'a closer eye on things'. But it is clear that he feels the contractual domain/business domain is Noel Kelly's. As Tubridy put it his job is to 'sit in front of a mic' everything else is Noel Kelly - his good friend and agent.

There has been no questioning of Noel Kelly and Tubridy's apparent close relationship? I thought that would have been a better line of questioning instead of going the Noel Kelly/DG/RTE line of things. Does Noel Kelly and Tubridy socailise together? As that could imply they discuss deals 'off the record' etc at least in passing....

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Ryan will be back in RTE for the Autumn schedule.

RTE were at fault , not Ryan. Because RTE were at fault, all the top people at RTE will be changed including Director General, CFO, Director of Commercial, and many of the Board

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement