Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All correct, except for the Nuremberg defence thing. Catherine Murphy was lazy and grubby making that parallel. She's better than that.

As I said to some colleagues yesterday. had this occurred in March, it wouldn't be half the story it is, its only because its filling 'silly season'.

And people like Catherine Murphy ought to be more careful with throw-away comparisons.

But overall, as PAC / public interest hearings go, it was very sedate and not hugely impactful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Well I think if they bring Tubs back in some form, they'll have him run out the last 2 years of his contract and get rid of him then. Tubridy has a contract of €250,000 a year and I just don't see how he RTE can get rid of him from a legal point of view. The payments will be an issue for Revenue, they'll decide if there's a case to be heard and it's very likely he's all above board there. (I personally think he's finished in RTE)

I think there's no public trust left in him, it will be a mark of Bakhurst's tenure and his intentions as to how he deals with Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

NK tells O’Connor he was notified of the audit queries re invoicing & payment irregularities in May 23. His prize client Mr Tubridy says he was not aware of them until the 26.6.23 & his departure from the Late Late was a coincidence.

absolutely laughable

the way RT was looking at NK at times like he was going to brain him - everything he does is shared.

there’s no credibility to just saying RTE over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What I really wanted was for somebody to ask the clear and obvious question:

"How can this be nothing to do with RTE or your wages, while at the same time everything you did was on "instruction from RTE"."

It can't be both **** things at the same time lads.

They had zero credibility, none whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

NK knows about everything going on in RTE more than DF did, that is how big he is there. This picture of been just an agent he has painted is BS. Forbes tipped off NK about the audit and Tubs knew there was no way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And Kelly is doing his best to destroy his name. Wonder what his clients really think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If they have to they'll just put him on gardening leave. Can't see them putting him back on air purely because he's under contract, even though they want shut of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have him come in every day as a researcher for whoever does the radio show. That would gall him.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

The Nuremberg comment was unfair. The nazis never squandered the tv licence money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes, and Tubridy was very believable on that. Why would he get involved in the contracting and invoicing given he had hired an agent to do exactly that?

Would have been easy for Tubs to blame his agent and RTE as he himself probably wasn't even involved in these discussions.. But the agent seems dodgy and Tubs is very supportive of him. And NK clearly is working on Tubs' behalf...it's hard to square that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Your whole premise is mistaken.

Tubridy earns neither wages nor a salary from RTÉ.

He is an independent contractor, he receives his money by means of occasional invoicing, which like many contracting relationships in industry, can vary in its specifics due to budgeting and management decisions.

In any case, the Forensic Accountant to be appointed by the Minister of Everything tonight, will clear up any uncertainty about the invoicing practice and point the finger at who, if anyone, was in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Acting under instruction is not a defence in a potential crime or fraud, eg a hitman acting under instruction or the owner of a bank account acting under instruction when laundering money. You're part of the fraud and the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

RTE execs coming out of this looking terrible, as had been the case all along

Tubs probably back by September

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I know you are trolling but i'll bite.

RTE need the license fee more than they need Ryan Tubridy. If he's back a hell of a lot of people who might have continued paying it will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I have never thought Tubridy was a good radio presenter (always relived during the summer or on the odd day when someone else did the show) but only turned off when he boasted about his latest freebie. Admittedly that was at least once a week.

But if he comes back, I won't be listening.

I've been remembering the months when he pretended to believe that puffins didn't exist, while constantly saying how much he'd love to go to Iceland. And eventually he got a free trip to guess where and saw some guess whats. I don't think he ever mentioned his great love for Iceland again - maybe he didn't get enough deference there.

Someone really should advise them that the 'Toyman' name makes him sound like a repeat villain in a cop show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

That Tubridy is finished in media anywhere is a given. Rep is destroyed here and he doesn't have the chops to succeed abroad. His arrogance and greed has ultimately been his undoing. Optics dictated he had to appear before the committee. The problem for Tubridy is he lacks the humility to appear contrite or sorry. The fact that he hasn't offered to return the 345k to date is telling.

Tubridy up till recently was the luckiest person in the country. Getting a wage which vastly exceeded what he brought to the table. Dire interview skills. No charm or personality. No intellectual depth. The one attribute the public thought he had was honesty and sincerity. Even that turned out to be fake.

He might live out his life in great comfort but at the cost of his name being destroyed. It might prove to be the most expensive 345k ever trousered. He certainly didn't earn it.

In relation to any mental health stress Tubridy is saying he is suffering I have zero sympathy. He brought this on himself completely. I will save my empathy for those who genuinely struggle with their mental health.

A great example of my point, a load of waffle desperately trying to dodge the actual question.

He said he took a paycut. He said that these other payments were a totally separate arrangement with Renault so didn't count towards that paycut statement. Then they also say that everything they did regarding the invoices were as instructed by RTE.

Its completely contradictory and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Amazing really.

The two lads must have known their game was up and that RT was finished in RTE before todays session. Why in the hell would you put yourself through something like that knowing you could only come out worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I am convinced Tubs will be back on the radio. Plenty defending him.

I see Maia Dunphy tweeted Tubs told her last August he was leaving the late late.

Don’t forget they’ll be replying and will have their own evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

I've never read such BS. If it wasn't for RTE and his contractual arrangements with them he'd be unemployed. Have you no idead whats going on ??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not just an agent, but a little minor agent being bullied and hoodwinked by the big bad RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Tubridy toughed it out I thought, and even managed to get some sympathy from a good few on the committee. They seemed to believe him. Ok Tubridy seemed a bit over emotional/dramatic at times and overly confident about his prospects of a return to RTE. But he came across as honest/sincere IMO. The latter is a key point to any optics.

It was a complete contrast to the shambolic appearances of most of the RTE execs at the committee hearings. Where the committee were basically laughing for a lot of it, at the incredulousness of it all. The committee giving them daggers eyes/rolled eyes.

There definitely seems to be contempt for Noel Kelly from the committee, he is not being believed at all. There does not seem to be much sincerity in the man. I struggle to believe that a person as experienced Noel Kelly is in negotiation (and the number of clients that he represents) that he does not look more closely at contracts/who the people are he is dealing with. I think Noel Kelly knows exactly what was/is going on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It put in context how ridiculous the "following instructions" defence is.

He runs his own company who issued the invoice. RTE didn't issue the invoice. He wasn't pushed on the "didn't you consider it odd to send an invoice to a UK company for services rendered in Ireland?"

In my own employer, when we get invoices from providers to be paid, we send them to a division in the Finance Dept. If you don't have a signed contract with the provider, or the name on the invoice doesn't exactly match the contracted party, it'll be sent back to me.

Even if we appoint a new provider for the first time, they need to be set-up on the system and need to provide certain information, VAT number etc.

Never mind Tubridy, any other media person who wants to work with RTE will need to distance themselves from Noel Kelly pretty damn quickly.

He hung RTE even more than Tubridy did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The bit that annoyed me NK has said a few times 'we are just a small company of 8 people....'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement