Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Robert Nairac

The only selling point that Hearn can come up with for Joshua-Whyte 2 is that if Joshua wins he will fight Wilder later in the year. Pointless rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,395 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's exactly what's going on. There's no chance he puts AJ in with Wilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As cautious and gun-shy as AJ has been these past few years, he has to be able to dominate Whyte, surely. Whyte is deplorable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think 2-3 years ago Whyte would have given Joshua plenty to think about but hes had a couple of bad knockouts and I think hes shell shocked from it. I’d say Joshua with the KO similar enough to the previous pro fight. Joshua wont fear him so I expect him to be aggressive. If not then he could be in trouble himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i am still not sure on AJ, on one hand you would say he's clearly the fighter with boxing ability speed on his side and power so whyte will be an easy knock out for him, but then i keep watching his last 6 fights and he looks almost too nervous to get his he won't let his hands go, he thought changing trainers would solve that issue but he's not adapting any new skills which to be fair at his age is difficult to do, he strikes me as the sort of boxer that needs to be told what to do each round over and over again

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think it’s a very interesting fight. Whyte will be game and he’s a big strong guy. If Joshua brings his best version then same result but if he winds up overcautious or fragile then different story. Surely Whyte is good enough to tag him once, how will he react to that happening? Thinking of the Whyte fight against Fury he had his own mental issues there so thats a factor too.

It’s only interesting because offensively speaking, AJ is 60 percent of what he used to be.. hasn’t got that assured aggression anymore. Though maybe we’ll see it return for this fight

if AJ decides to be cautious I’d expect (barring a KO) that he boxes the ears off Whyte

• Advertisement

I would agree in part but I think if Joshua goes with caution then he will labour to a very dull points win with little or no credibility. Whyte will have to win by ko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Joshua is way behind where he was, there's no sign of the fighter he was prior to being knocked out by Ruiz, which is four years ago. It's not impossible he could have a renaissance late in his career, but it is very unlikely. He might still beat Whyte on points, but I don't expect any more big knockouts from Joshua, I think he's too reluctant to commit now. The Whyte of a couple of years ago would beat the present day Joshua, and it might still happen, but I'd predict a Joshua points victory after a poor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fury vs Ngannou October 28th in Saudi. Boxing. Exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

No interest. Fury will win on points to unofficially preserve undefeated status. Ngannou takes L in sport he doesn't care about and takes a big bag.

That's all these fights are, chances to give money to the fighters.

Boxing is a joke at the minute.

Indeed.

Meanwhile the UFC have announced the biggest HW fight in history. Jones vs Miocic. Should've been Jones vs Ngannou.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It really is sad to see where HW boxing is at the moment.

Jones never wanted Francis. Waited and waited..

Mioic is a has-been. If biggest UFC HW fight ever, it’s not much

i think the exhibition nonsense should be ignored and anyone discussing it gets shot or maybe just thread banned lol

it is just a cash grab for both companies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Absolutely zero interest in Fury as a boxer after today's announcement.

What a fackin fraud. Why won't he fight Usyk. Usyk was right, Greedy belly. That's all Fury is.

Hope the ufc guy floor's him.

I think he wanted him and would've subbed him in 2 rounds. He also wanted Brock Lesnar which would've been special. Jones is the goat.

Anyway, nice payday for Ngannou.

What does this mean for Fury though. WBC making some noises about it. And this was before todays announcement

• Advertisement

skills company in saudi said they won't be ready to host any fights of this magnitude until late this year and are thinking of pushing them out until early next yea, this goes for wilder and usyk

But if it's full on and both are allowed full on, it could be tasty.

Francis is a big unit with real power. Yes, he is not a seasoned pro boxer, but he is a combat athlete who can throw a very heavy punch. Would be delightful if he knocked Fury out.

Jones is the best and most skilled UFC fighter that I have ever seen, but Francis would have been very dangerous for him, and I think he knew this. I don't think Jon fancied the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I could get the McGregor Mayweather fight, they both had the star power in their respective sports and were universally known. I don't think anyone knows of Ngannou outside of MMA. Absolute rubbish, I see this bombing to be honest, not quite the payday he's expecting. Fair play to Francis though he's got an incredible deal with the PFL fighting nobodies for big money and can do his own thing on the side.

If they wanted to make this remotely interesting though they should of had it in a cage, with striking in the clinch. These novelty fights should be atleast a bit fun not watch a world champion have a glorified sparring match with a novice boxer.

You know, risk wise this Francis fight is a lot more dangerous than an Usyk fight in terms of Fury suffering a KO.

Francis has heavy power, is big, heavy and aggressive. It only takes ONE shot to KO a man. Just because Francis isn't a "pro" boxer doesn't mean he cannot get that shot on target.

Absolutely. Hes KO'd huge men, legends, with one punch.

lol there is no risk. We've been here before with McGregor, its mickey mouse stuff.

McGregor/Mayweather not at all comparable. Francis is huge, very heavy handed and can throw punches. Of course there is a risk

Yes, if he cannot knock Fury out, he is getting absolutely dominated.

Put it this way: Francis is far more a risk to Fury losing than was Chisora in Fury's last fight (and Chisora is a seasoned pro) boxer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I'd love Francis to KO him would be special, but don't see it happening.

I am a big Ngannou fan but Fury will puck the head off him and Francis will get his soul taken like Miocic 1 fight.. he was like a rabbit in headlights when he realised he could be touched, that then transpired over to the Lewis fight when he was afraid to pull the trigger and lost that one

This is a different ballgame altogether if it gets past 8 rounds, Francis will want out.

I see this going similar to Fury v Chisora

• Advertisement

This is a world champion HW boxer, in his prime. Boxing striking is totally different to MMA striking, he won't get near Fury, Fury will throw jabs all night.

McGregor is absolutely comparable, a known knockout artist at the time in MMA fighting a much smaller defensive boxer.

Fury is also taller, heavier, bigger reach. Its zero risk zilch.

Advertisement