Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

I don't know why you are asking questions because you already seem to know all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Even if it's more expensive and it doesn't work as well as conventional semen, surely it's the only answer to this issue. The issue being that there seems to be nothing farmers can do with the male dairy calves. They're not worth any money. Transporting them (as seen on the programme last night) shouldn't be an option. It's incredibly cruel. Can anyone propose an answer to the issue of too many male dairy calves that doesn't involve live exporting?

That's really helpful, thanks. I'm asking questions because I want to understand. If you're a farmer, good luck with your livelihood if you're not willing to enter into conversation with those interested in coming up with solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Their is plenty of continental calves exported too, their not actually worthless, its the period from feb-april that they are, 40-70 euro is paid by shippers for later born calves, sexed semen won't solve any issues their is still going to be a million plus calves needing to find a home and circa 700k of these in the space of 6 weeks that's the issue, compact calving as advocated by teagasc has the whole system at breaking point in the spring period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Doesn't really help our case if we can't simply answer alright. There does be people posting questions here looking for an argument, but any sensible farmer would rise above it and answer your questions then move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

Calves being taken from their mother's is not actually a big issue at all. The calves are as calm as a breeze and actually thrive really well under these conditions with farmers caring for them extremelywellinthevast majority of cases. The problem I see is the length of time between feeds for these calves. A lairage at Rosslare might just help alleviate that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

First, welcome to the farming forum. I hope you read a lot and learn a lot on here about modern agriculture (which is really only a slice of the modern world you see around you).

Second, can I suggest you read the previous 10-15 pages of this 'Dairy Chitchat 4' thread. Spoiler: you will not find simple "solutions" to any issue. But you will get some small sense of what life as a dairy farmer is really like. Another spoiler: it's much more nuanced and in depth than anything you will ever see in a 1-hour TV show.

I'm a potential future dairy farmer and it's one of the reasons I read this thread.

Good luck.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Thanks. I'm not against farmers at all. I don't disagree with killing animals for food, but I disagree with the way they are often treated before dying. There's no need for cruelty. I always assumed there was very little, if any, cruelty involved in dairy farming but the programme last night was an eye opener. I think a lot of people will be shocked to learn how male dairy calves are discarded and treated so badly. It's certainly helpful for farmers to engage with concerned consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I think you need to understand that there are people who are unscrupulous in every walk of life. I rear my calves with the greatest of care and place a big priority on animal health and wellbeing .my neighbours do the same. it's not fair to tar us all as if we all do it. some perspectives please.plus we are subject to inspection at any time by dept of agriculture

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Only a select few bulls are available as sexed. Not all are sexed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

You are lucky you are not a farmer as you are not being blackened by the media and the fgff government every day.

If you were a farmer you would be upset as you have spent your hole life working to help and look after animals. Putting them before your own welfare and your families. Stupid hours for little money.

If you were a farmer today you would be very angry at the RTE for letting that program be aired. Showing clips of foreign mistreatment of animals in NZ and France. Mixing it in with Irish clips. Then get some Irish farmers to start crying looking at it. Did that lady farmer think here calf's were off to a holiday in Ibiza when she sold them at the mart.

I will never complain about being a farmer again. When I looked at the life of a lorry driver last night.

The only thing is the tide is turning. The leftie government will get awoken next year at the local elections. FFFG will be getting new leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I think what was meant by the footage not being so bad was because the worst of the footage was old stuff from NZ and France. As someone pointed out the must have had thousands of hours of footage and the worst seemed to be throwing and kicking calves on a couple of occasions, that's not to belittle that, it 100% shouldn't but its obvious the people doing that aren't suited to handling calves and shouldn't be at it. Those are individual mistakes rather than systemic issues.

On calves being removed from their mother, that is the nature of dairy farming. Some farmers will disagree but I find separating them at birth to be the least stressful option, the calf only knows the farmer as their provider and the cow moves on quickly. People try to transpose human emotions onto animals but that doesn't work.

I don't know the regulations but the impression I got from the show last night was that it was just a 1 hour stop, with the calves staying in the trailer, which seems pointless. IMO the issue is with the age of the calves, a four week old calf would be much better able for a long journey, could already be moved to once a day feeding and could probably be fed some ration easier than milk.

I'd agree with you on sexed semen, the talk that the conception rate is worse is a red herring, its 60% v 50%, that dip isn't going to kill any farmer., or throw out their calving pattern significantly. We do all our cows that we plan to breed off with sexed semen, one round and then everything else gets a beef bull. It means we're fairly confident of how many dairy replacements we'll have and we don't have much of an issue with dairy bull calves, although the sexed straws are only 90% accurate. Anecdotally it is being more widely used but there are still plenty who will make excuses not to use it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But maybe it's time to have a discussion about compact calving.its definitely contributing to increased pressure on the system in relation to calves.

Yes when there's lads complaining of crap calf prices in march delaying calving a few weeks will give a better price. Too much relies on boats going. Even calving a few weeks earlier, possibly in January would make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Jack98

At the end of the day sexed semen won’t be the silver bullet either. Any AA or hex coming out of cross bred cows are still going to be of no value definitely sub €50 anyway we saw that this year and increase supply these values will fall further next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

using a stick on calves has been illegal for the past 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Don't worry about my livelihood. Most farming is just a passion or hobby in fact. The calves last night described as male calves were actually mostly beef breed and of both sexes. You can listen to all the BS you like but the simple fact is that there is too many cows calving in a short couple of weeks and the calf market gets saturated. They are not worthless byproducts. Documentaries like last night use all that inflammatory language and such just to get a bit of notoriety for themselves and to upset as many people as possible in the mean time.

What do you do for a living yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I refused point blank to watch that program last nite cause of the media outlet it was coming from.not justifying any cruelty but I worked for over 15 yrs in a mart from 2000 to 2015 and never saw any over the top stuff going on.yes I used the stick when I needed to in the bullock sorting pen especially at the weanling sales time of the yr.

last night’s hit job by the truth matters station that is rte is part of the woke leftie/green agenda to destroy an industry and the vast majority of people who do their **** best everyday looking after their livestock.

I do things fairly ok but this yr I ran into utter catastrophe.an outbreak of rotavirus that ran tru about 25 calves from mid March to end of April.I’ll admit I lost a fair shot of them calves but not for the want of trying my best to keep them alive and hydrated.fran mcnulty won’t show that side of what farmers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

These are a ll good valid points but this program was made two years ago mostly if not all the footage was old stuff. The quality and age of calves being exported I'm the last 18 months had increased dramatically

I appreciate all of the replies and information. It certainly sounds like its more complicated than simply using sexed semen but I do think it should be a bigger part of the solution. I think those upset about last night's programme should realise that people just want information and truth. I'm not out to demonize farmers at all. It's just obvious that the way the industry is operating isn't acceptable as far as animal welfare is concerned. That doesn't mean that farmers don't look after their cows. It just means that we should find a better way, as a society. I got the answers I needed and thank you to those who answered my questions. I hope sexed semen is used more widely and that live exporting is banned in the future. Its far too inhumane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I think the whole lairage thing is a farce, it's just a box ticking exercise that sooner or later is going to be shown as such. There's no way in hell all those calves are being fed there. Anyone with any experience rearing dairy calves knows the ordeal it is to get some of those calves to latch onto a teat feeder. For a start half of them are bucket fed, the other half are on whole milk, then there's those that have a share of a nurse mother cow. Anyone who believes that the lairage with hundreds of calves coming off those lorries at a time is gonna spend 15 minutes with those type calves trying to get feed into them is deluded. It's a cruel system, the dairy farms are going to have to rear those calves to at least 3 months before they are allowed to be sold. Its the only answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There wasn't a full picture shown last night in order to build a truth. Pictures from New Zealand and Europe used to paint Irish farmers badly. All the footage from Ireland was outside the farm gate, yet it's farmers who are taking the flack today. It was the government or advisory bodies who pushed all and sundry into dairy and forgot about the calves. It was the same who promoted a NZ model for Ireland - a model where bull calves are killed once born on the spot and whose environmental impacts wouldn't get within an asses roar of being legal here. The programme last night was excellent to highlight some issues and I hope, as I think we all do, that a stop is put to it immediately. That inspectors inspect, and prosecutors prosecute. There needs to be conversations around a joined up dairy and beef programme for agriculture, that value is put by processors on dairy beef, that compact calving plan is not sustainable and relying on export for surplus calves has to end.

Could you not get enough replacements from using fr ai for 3-4 weeks instead of 6-7 ? Perhaps use beef ai for the remaining time and then leave out stock bull. I didn’t sell any calves under 4 weeks of age this year but the longer they’re kept they cost more from a financial and labour side of things. Really I think calf’s need to be 8 weeks before they travel too far. I didn’t watch the programme but I know it’s not right what they go through.

The department should extend the tb rules for calves by a few weeks also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

As someone who didn't watch the programme- was the NZ / Europe footage stated as so, or was it done in an attempt to pretend this was Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

It mixed it all up. Then picked some shook aax looking out of the lorry. It was all done to make things as bad as could be. All was missing was the Nazis on Childers list putting them on to trains

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

That program last nite was due to be shown pre the whole covid hysteria that went on.amazing how it got an airing at this time with Renault telifis eireann in a spot of bother

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Ireland needs its own veal industry. I would be happy to invest in facilities to rear my beef calves to 16/18 weeks for veal. The okd story of too many spring calves can be answered by refridgeration.

One thing we are good at is exporting large quantities of beef and lamb etc, why could we not export veal too

• Advertisement

Exporters normally dont buy crap calves though. They're very picky here what they take. Have to be a specific weight etc

Advertisement