Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plight of Bull Calves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I think we can all accept that if society continues to develop that what is currently being done in regards food production will be looked at as barbaric, and in mean in a general sense. What the report revealed here is not surprising to me, albeit disappointing that even the most basic of humane treatment is not being provided. The idea that mistreatment is only a small minority does not wash with me and the issues need to be addressed. Until such time as we as a people wean ourselves off meat and dairy and move to a better alternative every effort should be made to make these animals lives as best as can be under the circumstances.

That really is not some wishy washy idea but is what is right at this time.

I highly doubt much will change and regardless much will continue albeit hidden from sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Ireland is way above the standard of most countries. Especially the ones the Green Party would like to have us getting our food from while we shut down local farmers here.

If the claims on this program are right then the people should be brought forward to the full force of the law but we should not be throwing everyone under the same bus.

At the end of the day animals are making money for farmers, why would the majority mistreat them? how would you be successful if you do? most farms the animals are respected and are looked after the best because that gets the best production rate.

Why would we need to wean ourselves off meat? have you seen how they produce vegetable/etc in some countries? 100 times worse than anything we do in Ireland. Killing every animal in sight and polluting the land/water with pesticides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ireland has very high food and animal standards, most of the world has no standards and no interest in standards. The rest of Europe is often lax enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

You farmers hadn't hand act of part in what's going on. Didn't they produce those extra calves without any thought about how the were going to get rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Well, if we want our cake and eat it ...

We need to pay more for humane meat and dairy production.

No live animal exports.

Eat less meat. We eat way more meat than we should.

The rich should subsidise the poor so they get their fair share of the produce.

Meat producers and slaughterers should get paid more than e.g. office workers who have useless high paid jobs that will soon be automated. It's very hard, physical, dangerous work that no one wants to do.

Alternatively, e.g. office works should spend a couple of years of their lives, at least, slaughtering animals. Kind of like mandatory military training and an awakening.

There should be no middle man horse trading, where people who do nothing productive or useful get highly rewarded. Minimal steps from produced to consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I dont think you realise how much Ireland is dependent on Beef and Dairy farming. It is very short sighted to want rid of dairy and beef farming and it could send us all back to living in a poor country.

What viable alternative do you think there is out there for farmers - there really is nothing else viable for alot of farmers. Growing crops really would require huge investment for most if their land is even suitable. Ireland isnt known for its reliable weather so what do you propose that farmers start growing that will yield a good income, easilly grown and viable on small farms.

Do you remember from history what happened when Irelands population was reliant on growing spuds - a bit of unsuitable conditions and look how that turned out.

Be very very careful what you are wishing. Ireland without beef and dairy farming would be a very different economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Two questions from a non-farmer here (probably asked and answered already)

(1) if the dairy bull calves are exported to be reared as veal abroad, why can't we do that here?

(2) I realise that dairy bull calves aren't bred for beef, but surely if the selling price by the dairy farmer is low enough, some sort of beef fattening enterprise is viable here for these calves?

Money is money.

Plus they are sold, the farmer can't be blamed if he/she sells in good faith and the person treats the animal incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm afraid a lot, no, all of that post is wishful thinking. We've seen the cries of horror earlier this year when food inflation started to get a little out of control and the happiness when shops started selling milk a few cent cheaper than it was. People don't value food and therefore a) won't pay what it's worth and b) waste far too much of what they do buy.

Wrong. The calves do make money for some farmers. Without the calf, the dairy farmer gets no milk to sell. The value of the calf may be zero to them when selling, but what that calf leaves behind on the farm in terms of the cow is worth something. The beef man buying the calf finds it very hard to make anything from it (hence why no sale value is put on them). note though that the calves are next to free only when there's a glut of calves in springtime. Holding calves longer on farm increases the sale value, but the cost to keep often times is higher than that. There's the reason why they are moved on so quick. It should also be noted that the calf, when mature and slaughtered leaves money for the haulier, processors and retailers. It's the primary producer that's left dick swinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There wasn't a shortage of food during the famine, the problem was the British took it all for themselves and let the native population struggle with small plots of land they had to pay rent on.

I didnt say there was a shortage of food. The point I was making was that the crop failed. Growing crops successfully depends on so many variables - not every year will be the same - output and revenue could vary greatly year on year which isnt great for farmer or economy.

In some footage mart workers could be seen repeatedly kicking young calves. Animals were also thrown from trailers on delivery into marts by both staff and farmers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2023/0711/1393922-political-outcry-about-treatment-of-calves-following-rte-report/

Potato blight, other crops weren't affected.

You could make the same argument about foot and mouth disease, avian flu etc. Why aren't all livestock farmers out of business after these outbreaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No.

You can question RTE.

You can question the Government.

You cannot however make up your own reality in that RTE are in cahoots with the Government where they have editorial control over an Investigative programme. So if you have evidence please present it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I mean this really does hammer home that our meat industry has to go, not only are the animals mistreated but the contribution to Climate Change is undeniable, and the idea that this could be somehow "policed" by the department of agriculture is ludicrous, sure how would that even work?

Ah your missing the point completely. Crops can and do fail.

Farmers receive some compensation if they lose stock because of foot and mouth, TB, Avian flu etc. This helps mitigate a bit but doesnt cover the total loss. Thankfully loss of animals doesnt happen too often for most farmers. The loss of a crop for a year would be devastating for a farmer and would be a different situation - I think you have the cop on to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

1 This was tried (rose veal) some years ago and was a total loss making enterprise as neither the demand nor market here.

2 Even if you got a Jex or Holstein for taking away the selling price at finished stage won't cover the cost of the inputs required let alone giving any return on labour or capital.

Could farmers not receive some compensation if crops fail? Whole herds were destroyed during foot and mouth but the farms survived.

Why couldn't the same happen if crops fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

I see you are incapable of reading/ comprehending what was written.

As you were, carry on!

• Advertisement

It hammers home that there are some bad apples working in the industry that need to be prosecuted for cruelty. The department have oversight on all links in the chain up to the border (not sure if they have a presence on the continent, but that should be covered by the same standards as described by the EU). The marts in question on last nights programme have department officials there. If an animal was brought to a mart missing an ear tag some official would tell you to go home. Yet they couldn't see this carry on by the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

What a moronic ill informed statement.

I'd imagine if we did an audit of a lot of the lives of many of the knee jerk loons with zero capacity for reasoning or nuance etc ...we would find out many areas of their lives that would have "to go" if we used the same standards.

You are making up your own reality that RTE are not in cahoots. So why do you think it is ok for you and not for me?

RTE have a terrible history to be honest and only getting worse by the minute. In these situations as people look back the story been told by RTE in most situations turns out to be lies which was pushed by the government. So sorry history is on my side

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We`re a very,very cruel country to animals. This just sickened me seeing this. Theres this cruelty, the greyhound industry , puppy breeders ,still hunting foxes with hounds , pounds are full of dogs bought during covid lockdowns.

Sickening and it disgusts me to the core.

Animal welfare laws need to be rewritten so these cruel people serve jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually, he is stating a fact that they aren't in cahoots.

even if they were which they aren't, it wouldn't work seeing as people already have formed their opinions on the meat and darey industry and most are not in favour of reducing the herds.

history is not on your side, i'm afraid.

it's very clear that the claims made in the investigates program are the truth, no amount of conspiricy theories will change that fact or the facts.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

No. We need to end this nonsense. We as a country are not very cruel to animals. A small minority, and I mean a very small minority are and they need to be sorted out. There is a multitude of rules and regulations. Lets enforce them before adding more to be ignored.

How can he or you state a fact they are not in cahoots?

As I said again the people involved if they committed crimes should be taken to court.

Reviewing everything that RTE produces with a question mark over it has to be done, especially based on history and current events

Another question - what happens tillage farmers when crops fail? Do they all just go bust?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe I'm wrong but that driver seemed to have gone from Ireland to Spain and the calves didn't even get water in that length of time.

• Advertisement

Tillage farmers dont go but because they are experienced in what they do - they know what works and what doesnt, They know what to do when the time is right etc. Its not easy to get crops right, believe me - it does take alot of knowledge.

If every beef or dairy farmer decided to grow spuds, corn, barley, rapeseed, avocados, grapes or whatever other mad thing someone thinks is viable do you think it would work well for them - it just wouldnt work straight away for them if ever even. It could take years to get right and to find a viable crop and find their market segment. I dont think the tax payer or the EU would be willing to pay them an income during this time or fund the new machinery and investment needed. Also do you compensate based on bad weather or lack of knowledge - how would the criteria be decided for every farmer.

Do you think if you decided tomorrow to grow a field of rapeseed with no knowledge whatsover do you think it would go well - Im sure it wouldnt. You are asking farmers to completely change their job and take them away from an industry that works well all because some scientist says cows and cattle are bad from the environment ( I think they will be proven wrong on this in the future). It really would have a huge impact on the Irish economy and that affects everybody negatively including you. Most people though are too uneducated to see this point though and think they are distanced from this( This is not meant as an insult towards you by way - Im talking about the public in general )

Advertisement