Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I generally don’t deal in "what ifs" and this is in no way a criticism of Lyng and team (maybe they had a chat with him and he said no), but jeez, Colin Fennelly would be a serious asset to have along with the reinvigorated older lads mentioned above, and especially with his Ballyhale team mates all flying. Getting his body in way of Morrissey and flicking the ball through for Cody or TJ.Can’t have everything I suppose.

On Sunday week, I see Brian Gavin in Examiner yesterday correctly again pointing out that refs penalising steps and throwing dries up almost completely the more advanced the championship is.O' Donnell took at least 10 steps before forcing a fine save out of Murphy and (for my eyes at least), clearly threw the ball to Rogers for the great block by Fogarty.

Our chances Sunday week will improve hugely if the ref has balls and penalises steps and throwing. We are not faultless in either department, but Lim are the high priests of throwing. It looks to me that they are coached to fling it off the fingertips (or more likely it looks like its coming off fingetips because they are fully extended). A bit like the action tennis players uses for the service toss. So, a ref gets conned because he sees the fingers extended and engaged and generally lets it go, but the split second extra it derives is vital in many instances.

Kinnerk is a genius, but many of the things he coaches, are hugely cynical.

I am very confident that whoever is in charge will not indulge the Quaid "time out" and I also predict Quaid will get done at least once for taking too long on puck outs. There is a lot of dissatisfaction with this since last weekend and I suspect Croke Park will specifically advise ref to insist on play continuing if it appears. Maybe insist outfield player pucks the ball out and Quaid leaves field for treatment

I’ve seen criticism since Sat about henry and Richie getting too wound up, but Limerick have such an incredible back room set up, they were right to draw the refs attention to the BS of allowing that hugely professional team, stop the match and get the information their data has spat out, to the payers on the field (more important than the break in momentum).

They are bloody hard enough to beat given the talent they have on the field, without conferring other on field priveleges on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yes. I would agree .. Hopeful more than confident.

The underage 'structure' mirrors the hurling in ways. As has been said on here lots of times, coaches bring their own players along and get them on county teams.

The Minor grade is struggling big time outside of the city teams. Having 35 girls on a Minor panel (no B team in the all irl series) is no real benefit to the players .

Under age development is similar - 30-35 on panels - Black team and Amber team = + 60-70 players hurling 'for the county' ..

Senior level is going to struggle in the next few years as the older players ( Gaule, Walsh etc) retire , the same quality players wont be there for a while to replace them. Too many girls members of that panel for as long as they want, not for as long as the manager wants.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

I`m failing to see where the progress is. We had our arse handed to us on a plate in the league final, we needed a last minute Hail Mary to win the Leinster final against opposition we defeated comfortably enough last year and we struggled over the line on Sunday against a team we had disposed of by half time in the same fixture last year. Defensively we look much more vulnerable than at this point last year so I wouldn`t be that confident that we are going to shut out the Limerick inside forwards like we did 12 months ago. The whole Lawlor to centre back proved to be a sideline error that we haven`t really recovered from.

On a positive note the players appear to be fully behind the manager and I think Sundays game should bring on Adrian Mullen and Ritchie Reid a tonne and Mossy Keoghan to a lesser extent. The big issue now is where are Limerick? Are they 10 points+ better than Galway or are they much of a muchness with the rest of Munster. The former and we are in trouble. On balance I think it`s the latter, which gives us a realistic chance of beating them but we need to win before you can say we`ve made progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

One thing is for certain, Limerick wont panic, merit in a lot of the rest of your post, but if you are waiting for Limerick to panic, tis curtains. Hegarty was the stand out player last year, but that's the problem with Limerick, you nullify him then it's Gillane, Flanagan or Morrissey that will do the damage, its their sheer spread of danger men and its nearly always a different man turns up. the match ups will be intriguing and to beat them I think you have to be flexible and move, basically the opposite to what Lohan did in the Munster Final, if a lad is getting beat simply move him or whip him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I see John Fogarty in Examiner has picked his All Stars as of now.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41180659.html

No TJ. All you can do is laugh.

Also in Examiner, Kiely getting very prickly abdout the criticism of the Quaid stoppages, but for me, maybe inadvertently, raises a more serious issue, is Nicky Quaid ok?

If John Kiely is telling the truth here, then it is astonishing Quaid isn't undergoing a battery of tests. Quaid also had stopped play a few times in Munster on concerns he was unwell. I am being serious here, Limerick have a huge back up team including medics, it shouldn't have to fall on refs and umpires to point out to them, their keeper is clearly unwell.

It's either BS gamesmanship or Quaid isn't right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hurlaway

No show Tony Kelly ahead of the who always show up ,what planet is fogarty living on

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

It's a suprise he didn't have a couple from Tipp in it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I thought TJ was done after his first couple of displays this year the legs looked completely shot but in fairness to him he knows his body and how to get the best out of himself. He's only getting better as each game goes on, now he's not as fast as he was but he was never a fast Eddie anyway. I think he'll improve again for the final and all our players will need too. I think the Leinster final win and the dramatic manner of it gave all the players a great shot of confidence and a win like that and the elation that follows really helps bring a team together even more. I think the victory and the hard fought nature of it compared to last years semi will also benefit us in a different way. Mossy will hopefully get better and even though Adrian and Richie Reid had good games there was still a small bit of rustiness and perhaps tiredness in the second half which that match will help to sharpen up. We'll need to improve for the final no two ways about it but I'd give us a much better shot than last year.

There's still the possibility that Limerick get a run on us and take us apart but I just don't think it'll happen against us if we're focused. Cody deserved great credit for getting us there last year and the manner of the display but I think there were things that could have been improved on last year that might have given us the chance to get over the line. I think most of those things have been addressed this year and I think if we can bring a similar display to last year but improve on our few weaknesses from last year which will hopefully put is in a position to bring Liam home.

Our own puckouts killed us last year and our defence of their puckout also hurt us massively. Some of that was down to selection and our midfield and most of our half back line got cleaned for large portions last year. I think the lads are playing with more confidence and self belief than last year they seem more comfortable in the system which we were trying large elements of last year but it's more bedded in and their getting more composed when on the ball and the long ball in is a choice now not a reaction to pressure.

It's a massive test and I'm sure I'll change my mind many times before Sunday week but for the minute I think we can do it but by the closest of margins. As has been pointed out above Limerick won't panic and even if they find themselves behind they'll make changes and rejigs we have to be ready for but I think Cody last year and Joe Canning this year are right you have to push up on them and do it for the whole game be relentless and if we know one thing about these lads and all Kilkenny players, is they'll empty themselves for the stripey jersey and go until the final whistle. We can ask no more. Hon da Cats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

Brian Dowling stepping down as camoige manager. He did a great job and alway came across well in interviews, all the best to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fair play to him for stepping down in fairness. Nothing further to achieve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Season tickets released for AI - Row 302, bloody hell...definitely my last year doing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Kiely hasn't come out of that well I think, alright it's a tricky topic to answer questions on but claiming that you don't know if your goalkeeper (of all positions) wears contact lenses and that same keeper having stopped play many times in the past by appearing to have a problem with his contact lenses doesn't really stand up to scrutiny

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

He did the same in 19 when we had them on the ropes.never happens when their going well.its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 18 longcovid

Your eyes are fine, O’Donnell clearly threw the ball. You are exactly right about the Limerick throwing too. When it gets a bit tough for them they crowd the spaces and use the throw to work the ball. Flanagan went on an eighteen step run at one stage and then illegally threw the the ball to a teammate against Galway. None of the so called pundits ever call this out there seems to be some kind of omertà on it to keep their jobs.

As you say, Limerick are a very talented team and they are hard enough to beat without all these shenanigans . So hopefully the ref pulls a few early on and then we can go from there.

Finally, great win on Sunday and a great match. Impressed on how Kilkenny saw out the match and turned the tide when a very good Clare team had gained the upper hand. What a save from Murphy, he’s now assured of immortality , it’ll be talked about for as long as they play hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Many in the Park this evening? I fear a poor turnout due to the short notice and schools closed. I was going to drop in myself even though I'm blatantly not the target audience but was halfway home around 7 when I remembered it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

There was a good few there, a few thousand I'd say BUT the kids weren't allowed on the pitch at the end after training and the players signed hurls etc on the pitch side wire in Ardan de Gras when the kids were all getting squashed up against the wire on the stand side. It was all quite unsafe to be honest and my own kid left with nothing signed after 30 full minutes of waiting, while bigger kids left with 10 signatures on their hurls. Annoying.

Would it have been so bad to leave the kids on the pitch? Feel the Co Board should have thought this out a bit better, and hopefully won't do this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

Henry and Richie O’Neill have been moaning at refs all year not just last Saturday. Richie O’Neill has been yellow carded twice and it was sickening looking at his antics v his own county in the Leinster Final. The Galway county board really need to assess what they have brought to the Galway setup because last Saturdays second half was a complete capitulation. On the flip side of that Limerick played their best hurling of the year for last 10 mins of first half and entire second half and I am glad KK were not playing them last Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

I think KK have a chance in the final, but if KK fans are being extremely honest here.

in the Leinster championship league game in Nowlan Park they let Galway back into it in the second half having being 6? Points up.

and in the Leinster final kk did similar, also let them go two points up and were lucky to win.

Against Clare kk let them come back from 6 down to go ahead 2 points up and were lucky to force a mistake out of them for the goal.

If KK can’t play better in the second hand in the all Ireland final (the half that limerick always raise their game), kk could get a trimming like in the league final.

kk badly miss Carey at wing back and Conor Browne at midfield. How they could do with Mullen in the forwards. How they could do with wing backs of Blanchfield and Carey.

KK need everything to go well, limerick need to just play their usual game.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

• Advertisement

As a neutral what is the story with Mikey Carey? Is he ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Out for an early walk around the city this morning, not a flag in sight. We would certainly win the all Ireland for the worst supporters ever.what is everybody waiting for put out your flags today and maybe your neighbours would follow suit.

I would expect 3-4 players to also step down.

A great couple of years, but this year was very poor. Miriam Walsh gets injured and the team crumbles.

Very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

I don't watch a massive amount of Camogie but you are being very hard on them. They could have easily won that game Sunday, Cork did look that bit faster and fresher tbh. Power had a chance at the very end to win a free but just did not have it in the legs to beat her opponent. To call them very poor is harsh

They are were reigning all ireland champions.

They beat a poor Dublin side, threw away a 10 point lead against Tipp to draw, and 'robbed' a draw against Wex, then were beaten by Cork.

Cork should have been well ahead after missing 2 clear goal chances, and should have had a penalty.

That is a poor season. Whatever about taking the results in isolation, if people saw the performances in those game , they would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Some issue with his heart was detected apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rathmineslad

would have to agree with greenspurs on his assessment, stop/start season and i know lost by narrowest of margins but victory would covered a load of issues highlighted on performance levels by many over the season , brian and his team tried various subs/players during the league but did not improve the performances of the team and reverted back to existing band of first teamers / every team needs competition for first team places but recently this is not the case for the kilkenny camogie team

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

Loss of o connell and walsh was huge, morrisey looked to be back to her best but then done her ACL.lack of firepower cost them.gaule got 1-10 of the 2-12 showing the lack of firepower ftom the rest of the forwards.changes I agree during hames were to predictable. But there are good young girls to come through and getting a manager that can blend the new talent and the old will be the challenge for the county board.heard gaule maybe going to OZ with kinneally after club championship (hope thats not true)

Post edited by hogans heroes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Just watched some highlights from last years final. God we got off to an awful start. I'd imagine Limerick will try to blitz us from the off. If we are not prepared for it then it's curtains. You cannot play catch up with this Limerick team

Advertisement