Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭PreCocious

I had something ordered and noticed the fees were all wrong. Got onto chat and they gave a variety of reasons , eventual escalation to a manager who said everything was tickety-boo and to contact a vat advisor if I had a problem. He then ended the chat and the transcript wasn't available - something I hadn't seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭feelings

Price 339, no deal price 359, -38% discount. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

I've got a Kindle Paperwhite 6.8" last year and it's great. I'd recommend the Paperwhite 6.8" 16gb now on offer for about €122.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TMP5Y2S?ref=refrw_cc_kindle_mlb_rc_nd_ucc

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

better again, get it with the kindle unlimited option and its a little cheaper (~€5). Don't forget to cancel the Kindle unlimited before the 3month free offer though if you don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Can you elaborate on this? do they eventually make it "right"? Or is there something Im missing about why the prices are so out of whack?

I was expecting a few pounds difference for each item, but with everything Im planning to pick the difference is gonna be into the hundreds.

Edit, ah just saw this. Their reply seems odd to me haha. Surely they mean they will just correct it rather than refund the whole import duties!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think you have to pay duty if the item is over €150. However, they seem to be applying duty to items based on their regular price, not offer price. So they're adding it to a monitor I was looking at that's £110 but RRP £170

You can see from my post above that they say they'll refund it, bit you may want to get them to say it to you in chat so you can get screenshot proof. Basically, I think they'll make it right but I don't want to be the one saying it to you 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's a tonne of Bosch stuff on sale prices not great compared to what I've paid previously

Not a bad deal on this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was overcharged fees for a bike computer 10 months ago, and still haven't got it back. I argued with them at the time of the order and they gave me the 180 days guff. As mentioned above, their system can't deal with stuff that's over €150 normal price but under €150 in the sale (150 being the threshold for duty). Their customer service staff don't care and seem genuinely surprised to hear that Ireland is not in the UK and doesn't use the £.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

was looking to add another echo show. out of curiosity i went back over my old orders. the echo show i ordered in 2021 was cheaper then than now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

I just bought 3 pieces of 'junk' for €130. If they all work as advertised I think I've got a good deal in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Very little on sale unless it's something you've been watching. I've been looking for some cheap nvme drives and theres a reasonable discount on a handful of them.

Also looking for a laptop but nothing suitable on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I couldn't tell the difference on price on the Bosch stuff on sale

18v drill is on sale but is 25% dearer than I paid a few years ago, typical amazon sale

They've gone down a bit amazon but they're still deadly for free delivery on small orders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

spoke to Amazon Customer Service Chat about import fees, and after explaining to the rep the issue a few times and left waiting, I got the same sort of response.

"Sorry for the delay.Please don't worry Import fee will be refunded 180days from the date of delivery."

I asked for confirmation of this in writing on email or copy of chat transcript and got

"You will receive an email of confirmation once order placed. Please don't worry."

The fact this is going on so long, it doesnt look like it will ever be fixed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Has anyone seen a decent deal for a mobile with a good camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Really goes to show how little many of them know, how little training they have and how little they can actually do. Their only saving grace is for obvious stuff like damaged items, stuff not arrived and giving gift card amounts of a fiver or a tenner if you keep complaining and they can't do anything.

If you open up a new chat session the old one should still be there if you scroll up. Thats how mine works.

If any of the reps actually had time to read previous sessions they'd know I was complaining about the same stuff I've complained about over and over. Wrong prices at checkout or failure to deliver in a reasonable time frame. I've a tablet on order atm that will deliver next day to a UK address but my delivery date to Ireland is before 8th of August and I've already been waiting a week. So far I'm ten pounds up on the deal and haven't given up yet.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Saw this earlier £145.09 at checkout for me.

Have a previous version and can't fault it for the money. Wife bought that one a month ago at the higher price and loves the camera.

A bit more money but another that might be worth considering.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Pixel 6a in Vodafone is good deal for the camera. If you want a smaller phone. The other ones above a bit faster if you're a gamer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Been reading a few of the older posts (previous Black Friday and Prime) on the whole mess that is import duty fees on promo sales. Those seem to be going around in circles. And there was me thinking for ages Amazon had the whole thing sorted 😂

Is there any summary of what happens post delivery?

Admittedly I haven't trawled through all the pages to see if folk updated on what happened

My main questions

1. do they always refund the import fees after 180 days? (for promos type sales)
    2. if they refund the whole import fee surely we end up better off than those buying in the UK (the import fee is VAT plus any customs right)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

They never refund the full import fees, they make an estimate at time of purchase and then "True-up" to what actually was charged.

I've got a few refunds, but their estimate is pretty accurate, so refunds are usually only pocket change.

If you have multiple small value items then split the orders, if it's one high value item then most times buying in Germany/Spain/France can be cheaper (New account, Prime trial)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Most refunds for me have been under a euro bar one that was €45.

In the normal course of things sure the estimate is fairly accurate and as you say it's usually only pocket change you might get back.

But with the Prime Day deals (and I guess lightning deals etc) they appear to be way overestimating the VAT and duty on big items. They appear to calculate based on the pre-promo price.

I posted earlier today about this but since that realised it has been covered before, but couldn't see how folk got on once they'd placed orders.

Eg For me, I've had a Kindle Scribe coming in £292 instead of £260 odd. Ninja Air Fryer £201 instead of £170 odd. The only difference is ROI delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

I received a refund of €376 on the import fees yesterday, for something I purchased on the 26th of January. so 166 days from today. I gather this whole system is automated, would be nice if they could sort this out earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ive been refunded from amazon several times before about over estimated vat. Weeks later without asking they send you credit.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any difference between the Firestick UK version and the international other than the hugely inflated price?

I need another one for a different room but the prices are nuts - I can get the UK one delivered to a friend up North if I knew it would work ok.

Its not the best prime days Ive seen - much better offers last year and the year before. Looked back on some of my historical purchases and I was getting fire stick lites for £15 pounds delivered.

UK firestick 4k is £34 delivered the international version is £66.00

Ive a roku xpress in my basket for £19 pounds and I might just get that instead -Amazon arent doing themselves any favours trying to keep people in their ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Anyone interested in Audible (or audio books generally) might be a good time to sign up if you've signed up for prime (I got the 30 days free offer today so signed up again). So once your a prime member, Audible will give you two free credits on sign up (or rejoining in my case) and if you go through cancellation process, it will offer you another free credit. So 3 free audiobooks essentially, and you can still go on and cancel the audible membership.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It will work fine. In fact it is better than the international one as it has BBC iPlayer and ITV X preinstalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Get The Sandman on Audible it's amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Exact same tech wise just some of the UK only content is not installed. Bit of a joke to charge so much more.

They also have a pro fire stick remote that has remote finder (kids are always losing my remote) and the Kids echo dot is only €32 but they won't send any of them.

They have the Google Chromecast with Google TV for €29. And that's a decent replacement.

Advertisement