Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The only clear and honest truth to date has come from the Auditors. He was the net beneficiary of money gained by underhand accountancy

no fogs when it comes to spending tax payers money

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Tubs can't wipe his arse without getting advice from NK. One swipe up and one swipe down 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ryan "This is what grief looks like" Tubsidy.

I hope I never see or hear RT again on RTE or any other broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Guilty

He got paid for work he didn't carry out and didn't release any information on it

The fact he is now repaying that money shows he was aware he wasn't entitled to it

If he didn't get caught he had no problem keeping the money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Don’t know what you were looking at. At one stage before Imelda Munster from Sinn Fein was about to question him, Tubsidy starting blubbering and floundering in a panic. He was nearly crying on several occasions and the TD’s were disarmed and had to lay off him, poor Tubsidy. His performance today was poor.

He quit last March knowing this was coming. He’s a disgrace and has succumbed to delusions of grandeur after several years of being grossly overpaid for being a bang average (which is flattering him) Telly Eireann broadcaster.

He should be out on his ear as regards being a public performer/broadcaster but if you’re from certain families or move in certain circles in Ireland you’ll get away with it and be back on the gravy train after laying low for a spell. Look at your comments and some other comments even on here sympathetic to him after being caught out. Give it a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Tubridy's continued career in RTE is as sure as the sun rising tomorrow

You can see by the public comments of both RT and the new DG, that they have had discussions

It's obviously the end of the world tomorrow 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was watching it on VM then RTE News Channel. The thing about Tubridy is that he hates to think that there is anyone out there who does not think he is 'nice guy'. That is the impression I get, then he overcompensates.

The mention of charities etc was in response to people the questioner going on about the people of Ireland suffering during covid etc while he was still getting his good deal. It was the same when the children of Ireland was mentioned, he got overly emotional and had to check himself.

From Tubridy's perspective he did his job in front of the mic and Kelly handles the contracts. From what I saw Tubridy only admitted three things he handled badly -

1) That he did not publicly correct RTE's figures when published

2) In future and then that he did not publish his contract yearly

3) That he paid attention to things more attentively - meaning Noel Kelly's deals

--

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Would really look bad for RTE to dump him when RTE is mainly to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm a member of the electorate.

I don't think 400,000 is a big amount to pay a senior exec.

I think a person should be paid a fair salary based on experience etc.

I don't think some presenter 'talent' is worth anything over 100,000. And definitely not in this country.

Hand on heart I've never seen LLS with tubridy. Never heard him on radio .

Don't like the look of him.

I'd never seen this Kelly guy before but my goto is 'would I buy a used car from this fellow' and it would be a resounding No.

Rte execs have shamed themselves. Tubridy had his chance to be honest and show some morals when his salary was being publicly announced years ago and it didn't match what he was actually receiving.

Couldn't watch the tv today but from what I've read here our politicians didn't do too bad a job.

• Advertisement

Why was Noel Kelly pressing RTÉ in 2022 to make payments of €150k for 6 Renault roadshows that Tubridy had not yet done? 

answer because he’s 5ft 6 says he

a fog of confusion? Really

• Seems it's getting international coverage now.. albeit only from next-door:

It's amazing you can't get coverage in the UK of a modern Irish broadcasting scandal without throwing in a picture of the pope from over 4 decades ago...

Also can't have any coverage of an Irish election in UK without the obligatory photo of elderly nuns, which are a remarkably rare sight these days. You'd be struggling to find any!

Himself and his beloved agent are after putting all the blame on RTE, so that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

About sums up today alright!

He'll be off on Holidays anyway. Back in September when the dust has settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

RT is/was a brand to make profits.

Everything else is veneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Jaysis some peasants on this thread. I'm on 280k. Double one of these posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes, a pinch of salt needed with much of the utterances today .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Today was a failure for Tubridy, a complete failure.

He did not have to attend so why did he do it? We all know the answer to that, he went because he wanted to rehabilitate himself, to get people to stop blaming him and to tell his side of the story. He was going to bring new evidence that showed he did nothing wrong and that he was being wrongly accused. That the grubby little stroke was perfectly innocent.

Did he achieve that? Did he ****.

What new evidence did he bring? Not a damn thing. How credible did he look? Not credible in the least. Nobody believed for one second that he didn't know about the scam and the repeated use of the non-sequitur "We were instructed by RTE" just insulted the intelligence of everybody watching.

Worse than that, not only did he not clear his name, but they actually went and threw RTE completely and utterly under the bus. Both him and Kelly completely torched any chance of a business relationship there in the long term. Well done lads, well done indeed.

Tubridys problem is that he thought some emotive speeches would do the job, he never stopped to consider that a room full of politicians wouldn't give two **** about his soul and his heart, it was a huge miscalculation on his part.

• Advertisement

I can't believe we have people on under 150k pa on here. Charity cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

My take on todays events and the last few weeks is this. Tubridy is a bit of a fool and not as smart as he thinks. Unfortunately he's attracted one or two people to his side who have leeched off him. He's deluded. But I don't think he was fully aware of the whole scam going on around him.

I think the gardai should be called in and talk to Dee Forbes when she's revovered from her obviously fake illness, Noel Kelly, Geraldine O'Leary and Breeda O'Keefe as these four have most to answer regards the tripartite scam. This should be sorted out in garda stations and criminal courts not an Oirechtas show trial.

If Tubridy ditches NK and hands back at least 150k to RTE he might just about save his job. If not he deserves to be let go by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

His head is up his ass, you could see that today. He had no respect for the panel, laughing, yawning, talking over them

His comments about Irish people is just him thinking the people are stupid and he gives a few words and we will all think he is great again.

The guy should be fired now. End of story, pay back the money he owes for services not carried out, fired for invoices submitted incorrectly and payments made for work not carried out

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭troched

Missed the start so don't recall hearing underpaid or unfair. May have been part of the same deflection he made earlier when pressed on the "No further pay cuts" letter; he "countered" by saying his pay had decreased 40% since 2012, which seemed like moving the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How much abuse does Graham Norton get? How much abuse did Michael Parkinson get? None because they were good at their job and did not come across as smarmy and full of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,139 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Id rather see what this forensic accountant comes back with.

And Revenue should be all over RTE and NK.

I dont have much faith in Guards and financial shenanigans.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Jesus Channel 4 News has taken it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Probably.

Very unfair . He should have been banned after the last 2 outings and his place given to someone else .

• Advertisement

RT is completely responsible for who represents him and all his affairs. The way he kept passing the buck today was horrible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement