Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Did game stop close permanently today as well as Argos? The town is going to be like a ghost town

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Yes along with their outlets in every other town in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭klose

Iceland (not that I ever went to it) and argos both closing is a big blow to showgrounds which was hardly flourishing before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

I found the centre busy enough any time I went there, m&s, tk maxx and dealz are significant enough footfall drivers, hopefully they find something to fill the space left by argos anyway, I think the Iceland situation might be up in the air for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

The problem is the Iceland and Argos units are too big for average shops and too small for chains that would draw footfall. The likes of a Currys or a Harvey Norman would need units twice or three times as big. While another clothes shop would never fill the space. I fear they will find it very difficult to fill those units.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,475 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always found The Showgrounds sort of an oddly designed shopping center.

You have to be realistic with what you expect to go into them.

I couldn't see places like Zara, Next(Don't think they open stores in Ireland anymore), H&M, Selected, etc.

Places who might open would be Carraig Donn, Kilkenny Shop, Probably to Small for HomeStore and More, EuroGiant, HomeSavers.

Sometimes these require retail park units.

It's also unlikely other cheaper UK chains will expand into the market.

Any word on the Heatons unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭bmc58

Ability to park in the Showgrounds puts many people off.

• Advertisement

How they got planning for that **** show of a parking lot is beyond me. Cant get in, cant get out, pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

I'm in clonmel regularly. Never saw anyone in Argos and Iceland was just as quiet. So their closing may actually help as there will be replacement stores.

But how that awfully drab Edinburgh woollen mills store survives is beyond comprehension. It really is dreadful and does nothing for the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dep91

Hey everyone, have a lot more free time available at the moment. Just wondering are there any interesting hobbies, clubs etc in Clonmel that people are involved in currently? Any and all suggestions welcome

Not sure what clubs are still operating over the summer but you could try

Peaks mountaineering club if you walk hills / there are two others as well Nire bogtrotters and Knockmealdowns grps

STAG in Nelson Street if you draw/like art

Tidy towns if you volunteer

Clonmel Athletic Club / Clonmel Triathalon Club / Clonmel cycling club if exercise is your thing

There is a Bridge Club if you like cards

There is a new ‘meet up club’ for new people in clonmel - its on a fb page

If you go into the library, on the huge notice boards there is loads of stuff - you are sure to find something you could do.

Enjoy yourself and let us know how you got on, that will help others in a similar position

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Darksoul

Is Knocklofty house sold ? it has been withdrawn from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Yes sold to some fella called Cash, for cash, knockdown price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭decies

Why Clinton’s shut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭decies

Oh there was some posters on the door when passing was wondering .

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JACK BE NIMBLE

Hobbies in Adulthood

Anyone got any suggestions for hobbies? Im based in Clonmel, Tipp, 47 year old man, and find once work is done and the usual housework is sorted plus the kids are looked after, etc that im pretty much doing mundane tasks out of boredom. I already go to the gym so would ideally like to take up a non-sport related hobby. Tl;dr what to people do for fun/new experiences in their free time? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JACK BE NIMBLE

Edit: just saw post above from itwasntme - timely. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tiegan

Any feedback on the musical event in the rugby club at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

What happened to the Apple green on the Dungarvan road. Been shut for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looked pretty quiet passing by tbh, don't know anyone personally that went.

Went to it on Saturday and honestly it was good craic everyone seemed in good spirits and no messing and it was a huge success I was very suprised, think another event will happen , when buying drinks you had to hand in 2 tokens worth 6 euros for pints there, sound at stage was good, they brought in extra chairs and picnic tables so there was plenty to sit around in fairness, the shuttle bus was very hand kept coming back every 20 mins to bring people back into the town as well.

Apple green Was open this morning anyway and very much busy and business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Despite my apprehension as local resident, it was actually grand. No messing up and down the road, you could hear the music but it wasn't obnoxiously loud. Were the crowds big at it?

It was busy Saturday definitely basically the bar area was full and the staduim seating area was full so they brought out extra chairs and picnic seats around, was not expecting such a big crowd so yeah I'd consider ita huge turnout , can't say anything about Friday or Sunday tho, really hope they do more concerts there if residents don't and they can bring big acts in future to Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

What's the story with all the water outages in town? I haven't been in town for a while but I saw on social media one place wasn't opening for Sunday lunch last week because of it, today I saw a water tanker coming out of the Talbot hotel and then Esquires was closed because of it but Costa appeared to be open. Last time I was in the cinema the toilets were out of order and they had no drinks because of water outages and that was to see the Banshees of Inisherin so a good while ago now, it put me off going back. Businesses must be going mad with all the interruptions.

Advertisement