Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I got the lawn cut just before the rain.

I'll tell you what, the growth since last Thursday's heavy rain has been off the charts.

I also see we will have a bumper crop of apples, blackberries, hazelnuts etc.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

All the leaves are falling off the trees from the wind and now the cold...we usually have to wait until august for it to feel like autumn now it happens in july

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

It's pretty amazing how in such a short time the grass and fields around here have recovered from the dry spell. My front lawn was just a pile of thatching quite literally. The back garden was a mix of ok grass, balding, and thatching. The sides of the roads around here were like piles of hay back in June.

Unbelievably, my front lawn is pretty much back to full green grass. Yeah, it's got a bunch of thatching underneath still, but it always has every year as it's south facing and beside the road. Back garden is looking good, and the greens across the street are lush green grass.

Just goes to show what it would actually take to make a permanent change to something like what they have in parts of France and Spain. Very sustained heat and sun for months on end, year after year, to truely make a change to how the ground looks on a more permanent basis.

I think one thing that adds to that autumnal perception in July is the slight drop in evening daylight. It's definitely noticeable now when the sky is not clear. For me that is the one thing I start to dislike from mid July onwards. Granted it's been windy and plenty of rain about too, but some good sunny spells here in the north from time to time.

I'm also one of those people that really hopes for 20c+ daytime maxes throughout July. For me, it's the peak of the summer and when I don't get low twenties at least, then I feel a little cheated out of a summer. I appreciated the June weather which I also consider summer, but I don't like it to be followed by an unsettled July and August. Especially August when it can actually become quite dark on a bad day. Feels like a long time since August was a good summer month. 2003 stays in my mind even though it was only truely good for us in the first week or so of the month.

For the last few years now, we have booked our summer holiday in August as a result. Something to look forward to if it doesn't deliver at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Jesus u've a short memory 😂 last August was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

"I think one thing that adds to that autumnal perception in July is the slight drop in evening daylight. It's definitely noticeable now when the sky is not clear." 

We've lost a grand total of 6 minutes of light in the evening since the solstice. 6 minutes.

Some of the comments on this forum just get crazier and crazier. And gloomier and gloomier.

So we've had 'a bad June' and now we have 'dark evenings' in July. And seemingly the record breaking temps last August didn't happen.

Some of us have very different outlooks on things I guess...

Anyway today was quite nice in SCD. Got up to 20º. Bit of sun. Bit of rain. Felt mild enough at times. Typical Irish summer's day really. Could be better. Could be worse.

Tentative signs of slightly warmer and more settled conditions in around a week's time on tonight's ECM run. So fingers crossed. We're not even half way through summer anyway. Lots of time for a bit more nice weather.

Post edited by compsys on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Turned out quite a pleasant evening with nice sunshine and a high of 20.1c today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Was a beautiful day in Dublin today after an awful one yesterday. The weekend was lovely in Dublin to be fair too

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

I remember the same in the Summer of 2018, the grass looked beyond recovery, it was so brown, weather broke in the middle of July and within a short time it was back to normal green. Yeah I’ve often heard it said, there is nothing quicker to recover than grass even if it appears to be dead

Glightning you must have been gone away last August? It was the best August in years and the August temperature record was broken for 2 days running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

How are the comments getting "crazier and crazier"? As you say yourself, different outlooks. Some people have different perceptions of the weather. I just don't get how some people can't comprehend that basic fact about human nature! I hope you're right about tentative signs of improvement soon.

There is no sign of any improvement this month. The outlook for the remainder of July is diabolical in general apart from the odd pet day here and there.M.T. forecast this morning giving highs of roughly 13 to 16 towards the end of the month. It’s up to August to save the Summer and with only one good August in the last 20 years the odds are poor

Post edited by Banarol on

That's why it's never really worth watering grass, as some people do. It'll rise from the ashes as soon as the rain come again, which it inevitably always does. Some amazing growth in the garden the last week with plenty of rain and some warm sunny spells. You can nearly see the grass growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

OVERVIEW: Very unsettled for Friday and Saturday, with heavy rain or showers and strong winds at times. Showery on Sunday and into early next week.

Jeez, you're right! I just took a look back at GFS charts on wetterzentrale as there was quite a bit of HP plus 850's above 10c.

I must be thinking of 2021 which definitely had tonnes of heavy rain up here in the north!

Yeah, I got last August wrong lol! I can't even understand why I don't remember it so well! :-)

I definitely don't view the weather from a pessimistic point of view. I've never said June was bad, it was fab. July has been mixed, but we've still had some warm enough sunshine through the month with temps still reaching 18c to 22c. Hadn't seen any thunder until June, but since then have had 3 or 4 storms from late June and through this month, plus one down in Kildare. So doing pretty decent thunder wise this summer too.

If August delivers something more settled then it will have been a decent summer overall. Would probably balance out to average with slightly above average temps due to a week of mid twenties in June (Here in the north east that is. I appreciate the west and south west will have had more mid twenties days).

As you said here "Anyway today was quite nice in SCD. Got up to 20º. Bit of sun. Bit of rain. Felt mild enough at times. Typical Irish summer's day really. Could be better. Could be worse."

About average then.

Fingers crossed for HP re-establishing itself by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Haha. Most of us realise it was just an honest mistake. Most. I can't even remember what I did last week never mind the weather a year ago.

Overcast morning. Showery. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is going to come as a shock (not), I tend to bring up past events in conversation to people. The amount of them that don't remember something as historic as 2010 mind blows me but I need to remember (ha) I'm a freak when it comes to this stuff! Here's a summary of recent Augusts to refresh the memory banks.

2022: Very warm, sunny and dry. Record-breaking heatwave in second week sets a new national August temperature record.

2021: Mostly dry away from the northwest and midlands, cloudy and mild. Some very wet days at times with a fine spell of sunny days after foggy mornings from 22nd-28th before a cloudy, cool and dry end.

2020: Very wet, stormy and cloudy. Changeable, fairly mild first half with a notably cool, wet and windy second half including two named storms and wind/low pressure national records set for August during Storm Ellen.

2019: Exceptionally wet in places but mild and sunny.

2018: Unsettled, wet in the north and dry in the south/east. Cloudy and mild, becoming cooler.

2017: Changeable, devoid of warmth and unsettled. Deluge in the north on the 22nd.

2016: Mostly dry and warm but rather cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We've escaped most of the shower activity over the last three days, aside from some nightime and late morning rain

It was the comment around dark July evenings and the nights closing in already...

Anyway, the tentative signs of improvement seem to have gone from this morning's charts unfortunately.

One thing I am a big believer in is weather patterns. The longer the wet and unsettled July goes on the better some chances of some fine weather in August I feel. Even though August doesn't usually deliver our best summer weather. As eventually the pattern will change.

We got 6 weeks of great weather in late May and June. Which is almost unheard of for Ireland. Places went weeks without a drop of rain. So in some ways it's no surprise that it's been followed up with several weeks of unsettled weather.

But to me this pattern will also break eventually. It has to, like all wether patterns. So I'm definitely not writing off August for now. As I really can't see us having 8 weeks of bad weather in summer (as that too is almost unheard of, even for Ireland).

• Advertisement

Ever have a conversation with a non weather anorak and they casually mention something like 'God, it's been very wet/dry recently' and you reply with something like , 'actually we're trending 42% up/down against the LTA for the last two months' and they look at you like you are stone mad. And you realise that you should keep that kind of stuff to yourself!

That's when I realise that not everyone pays as much attention to the weather as I do. My father in law is a farmer and could tell you every day it's rained in the last year without blinking. We get along very well!

It doesn't help that the media is so bad at reporting things nowadays.

I don't know how many stories I read about a 'cold' spring this year when in reality temps were well above normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Banarol you say its up to August to save the summer. May and June were brilliant months of warm dry weather. One poor month hardly makes a shocker of a summer. Also while July has been cloudy with some wet days, it's nice today, was lovely yesterday and the weekend just gone was lovely and warm. I can only speak for Dublin but its by no means been an awful July, certainly not a good one either. However after a lovely May and June, 3 months in a row was a tall order in these parts!!

Just look at Wimbledon this year, only 1 day has escaped rain out of 9!! Its been awful over there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

So we seem to have had Summer in late May and June. Isn't that normal so the lowest mark Summer 2023 can get is about 40 percent. Some Summers here we struggle to get 2 sunny days. This year we got over 20. So it's 10 times better than most Summers in the Northwest and its probably going to trend hotter as the decades progress so enjoy the fresh air.

Though this outlook is a bit too fresh. I like 18c n partly cloudy but not this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

If we only had one good august out of nearly the last 20 years then we must be well over due another one...we got one last year and many times you can get the same weather the following year...as happens when we get a big freeze similiar weather repeats sometimes the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

For once I agree with almost everything you say 😀 But only almost!

Now you can throw stats at me all you like but I saw no six weeks of "great" weather. Not in Tralee. We had two absolutely glorious weeks the first two weeks of June. For personal reasons I remember clearly when it started, the last weekend of May. Now you might think I'm a right aul moaner but I'd say I verged on annoying east coasters with my daily rave reviews of how fabulous it was. The Med style gin blue skies ended the weekend of the 10th. While it stayed warm and quite pleasant for the following two weeks, we might even say two and a half weeks, it was mostly cloudy and very thundery with the odd pet day. On Saturday 17th Tralee was flooded. So that's 4 and a half weeks tops of good weather, wonderful weather for half that period but floods also. Since the 27th June it's been crap. I'm in Spain now, so back in my comfort zone, but that has been my experience of June/early July weather in Tralee. But I agree that the current unsettled spell can't go on forever so I'm hopeful. Yes I do optimism too.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'm going by the river for my forecast now. The Garavogue. Once it fills up completely we will get a settled spell. That's what my optimism figures. With 40mm and strong winds this weekend it should be well over the current 50 percent capacity approx. At most I'd envisage another 2 weeks of rain after that but that's going by a river and not scientifically using weather charts.

Only the second half of May was good and doesn’t count anyway as it’s in Spring. 3 weeks of June were good and it’s been mediocre to bad since, with a poor weekend coming up and the rest of the July a write off. June good, July mediocre to bad, and August?

Post edited by Banarol on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Some heavy showers today. Raphoe recorded 20mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We had a rain rate of 20mm/hr here in Cork for a few minutes, but only a total of 4mm rain. Got outside and did some pruning after.

Advertisement