Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As long as we acknowledge that building the M20, M11, M28 and Foynes motorway means that we'll have to seek efficiencies elsewhere like taxing work place parking and cars will likely be banned or heavily restricted from city centres in any case.

I think it'll become clear that unless this bullshit is overturned the people will elect someone who will. Westerners have demonstrated in recent years that politicians trying to reduce their quality of life and telling them to put up and shut up results in increasingly polarized societies, reduction in political discourse, a move towards extremism and people losing their faith in the system (see: Brexit referendum, election of Donald Trump and what's happened in US politics in recent years).

Telling people in Cork and Limerick that they'll have to put up with the N20 because of the ill thought out system of national emissions targets with no regard to the rest of society isn't going to be successful I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It was a terrible time, and I'm glad I wasn't the one making decisions. But I think it's important to say too that decisions were made and I remember specifically being told in 2019 by people high up in the NTA that there was no money available even for road crossings or footpaths in one large employment hub. Money was not made available to transport infrastructure.

This thing where we're suddenly all discussing which projects SHOULD have been moving forward sooner is very recent in my opinion. We're in a much better place now and just need to get transport infrastructure out of the election cycle if possible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. It would appear that there's now a realization (going by the discourse regarding the budget surpluses) that gutting the capital budget everytime there's a downturn is a large reason why we have such an infrastructure deficit in Ireland. Hopefully the next time around it can be avoided because the gutting of the capital budget in 2010-2016 is a large reason why we have such infrastructure bottlenecks now.

I should also point out that it's Government policy to ban petrol and diesel cars, and have a 100% electric fleet. It's also Government policy to completely decarbonise electricity generation. Ergo, in the 2040s we should have zero emission cars powered by zero emission electricity. This is actual Government policy.

Based on that, there should be no issue with road development. When you take this into account, it becomes more clear that it's more about the Green's hatred of cars than anything to do with decarbonisation.

I think it'll become clear that unless this bullshit is overturned the people will elect someone who will. Westerners have demonstrated in recent years that politicians trying to reduce their quality of life and telling them to put up and shut up results in increasingly polarized societies, reduction in political discourse, a move towards extremism and people losing their faith in the system (see: Brexit referendum, election of Donald Trump and what's happened in US politics in recent years).

I'm sorry, but that is a load of nonsense.

"Give us our roads and free parking or we'll elect far-right populist numpty's"

Give me a break 🙄

You're going to be at it a while if you try to convince anyone that cleaner air, reliable public transport, safer infrastructure, etc is in some way reducing the quality of life of people.

Just to note, I support the building of the M20 and think the sooner its built the better

• Advertisement

You're going to be at it a while if you try to convince anyone that cleaner air, reliable public transport, safer infrastructure, etc is in some way reducing the quality of life of people.

I support all of these things. Safer infrastructure is a key benefit of motorways, the road itself is safer than the road it replaces, and it removes traffic from towns which makes them more pedestrian friendly. Cleaner air will be a wonderful positive with the electrification of the car fleet due to no tailpipe emissions. Reliable public transport is also something we need but it has its places. Reliable public transport will be possible and should be expedited in the 5 cities. It's not feasible to cater for everyone's needs in Kilmallock for example.

"Give us our roads and free parking or we'll elect far-right populist numpty's"

That type of language doesn't really help your case here, especially when used by politicians opposing such politicians (see: basket of deplorables).

Just to note, I support the building of the M20 and think the sooner its built the better

Great. I am delighted you support very welcome bus services between Cork and Limerick, and all the active travel and mobility components of this project, in addition to the safe passage of goods and people between Cork and Limerick and giving the streets of Charleville and Buttevant back to their denizens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Leo was MforT at the time and is very pragmatic but I do think the decision to cancel the CPOs was the single worst political decision he has ever made.

Especially given that the M20 was part of the tranche of PPPs that included the two M11 projects, the New Ross bypass, Newlands Cross and the M17/M18 projects and these have all opened to traffic with several years now. (The Galway bypass not delivered but nothing to do with Ministers or funding).

Yeah look hindsight is 20/20 but I suspect everyone on this board thought that particular decision was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

A very very important point. Ireland since independence has had a poor track record where capital expenditure and infrastructure generally, and transport infrastructure in particular, are concerned. There were a a few notable exceptions (Shannon and Dublin runways/airports, ESB generation and distribution capacity, the motorway building program in the noughties, and some other headline projects). There are a few other stand out projects, but their success was driven by how far behind we had fallen and the opportunity this presented for us to avail of new/emerging technologies and leapfrog others. Most of the rest has been patchy and piecemeal at best. And for a period of the 70s and 80s, the capital budget was used as little more than a slush fund to finance some very dubious projects. Part of it is a lack of understanding about the nature and impact and real benefit of capital expenditure and an inability to properly comprehend the payback paradigm. Spending your way out of a recession isn't always the best way to go, but there are very good reasons why capital expenditure should be maintained through good times and bad. I'd agree that shelving the M20 in 2011 was far from a good decision, but its also far from being the worst ever decision made. Sadly, despite all "long term" and strategic decision making structure together with all the checks and balances that were put in place post 2011, nothing we are seeing at present suggests that it will be much better in the future.

It should also be said that we haven't seen many ministers who have been capable or willing to take the kind of long term or strategic view that is so important where infrastructure is concerned. Patrick McGilligan was one who did, but you'd struggle a bit after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not sure what bullshit you're referring to? As I said there is no opposition to the M20 in the green party, and savings in emissions from transport will certainly have to be found and they will have to be drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I know it OT but would a new road from the bend by Fermoy Community Hospital over to near the Sanmina factory be an option? It wouldn't have the same gradient limitations as the motorway so could slope down for 180m or so south of the river and more north of it, reducing the size of the bridge.

The old bridge in the town should have a lane given over to pedestrians/cyclists but I guess that wont be considered until through traffic is reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

See post above. I think @Cookiemunster has the evidence you seem to have missed.

N20 closed tomorrow through Buttevent. For the annual horse fair.

That won’t bother Minister Ryan or his constituents in leafy South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Generally in Ireland populist candidates elected ten to be on the slightly left of centre spectrum rather than even mildly on the right of the political spectrum

Michael Fitzmaurice, Michael McNamara, Richard O Donoghue, the Healy Rae's. Michael Collins,Arian Harkin etc

The only right of spectrum Independent TD is Verona Murphy.

Slava Ukrainii

Yep exactly where my head is, on all points. Obviously it would be expensive as all bridges are, but it would make sense.

That wasn't how I'd read the post you were responding to. Now we're obviously waaay off topic, but while the M20 must go ahead DESPITE the fact that it's not a sustainable project (or even neutral) we still have a wider problem that few in government seems to properly articulate.

There is currently no REALISTIC plan to get rural Ireland onto fully sustainable transport. And the urban areas need to be strongly skewed towards sustainable modes to make up for this. Congestion charges, high city centre parking charges, way more mass transit and prioritisation of same, vehicle size/weight restrictions etc. People should be able to get their personal car to the city but the majority should not be bringing their car through the city centre. With obvious exceptions!

That's my understanding of the current situation anyway. Because even outside of any environmental consideration, it's just hugely wasteful (energy, space, quality of life, etc) to be bringing private cars into the city. It has been literally killing the cities. I think I've recently seen a change where Cork City are starting to embrace this, and I think I've seen that point years ago in some parts of Dublin.

But my overall point was that we need to accept that as a society: the idea that the critical infrastructure projects should be blocked is very unhelpful, and so is the idea that I should be able to drive my private car into the centre of the city for my own convenience.

Anyway, that's why M20 (etc) should go ahead and also why there needs to be way more measures in the urban areas. People are going to keep trying to block both, but those people need to be the extreme minority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The Green position on the new N20 is that it must be built for safety reasons (and this implies that it must be a dual carriageway road, but you can understand why they don't shout about that), but that bringing a Motorway all the way into Cork City is not on the table. What they oppose is the concept of turning the southern section of this road into a corridor for increasing private-car commuting from areas far from the city, or adding junctions "for development" in order to facilitate more car-dependent exurban housing beyond Blarney. I agree with that - we need a safe and efficient link between Cork and Limerick; we do not need more housing miles from anywhere, accessible only by car, that forces people to waste their lives sitting in traffic.

It's important to remember that Motorway is a legal restriction, not a road cross-section. Non-motorway roads are general-purpose, which means that they must include facilities for pedestrians, horse-riders or cyclists, and now, when a road type without hard shoulders is built, these are accommodated on a segregated lane. But a motorway is a road made solely for the use of motor traffic: there's no requirement to add active transport along its route (but there is supposed to be an "alternative" route for such traffic, but it doesn't have to be near). It's the privileging of cars that the rational wing of the Green Party opposes. The GP is not, in principle, against the construction and improvement of roads, because you need roads for all that cycling and public transport, and Ireland has many unsafe roads that need to be replaced.

On the type of road, there is very little room for argument. Current traffic volumes between Cork and Charleville point to the road type being Type 1 DC - the same cross-section as a motorway. Between Charleville and Rourke's Cross, a 2+2 would be more than enough, but north of there, Type 1 DC will be needed again. Having a small run of 2+2 within a much larger scheme doesn't save much money, so it's very likely that the whole scheme will be done as Type 1. That's would mean an over-provision for the middle section, but we have done this before for safety reasons (see M18, M9, M8).

Your post sets out the reasons for replacing the N20 in a way that’s likely to meet widespread agreement on this forum. Nothing new there. 

It also sets out the Green Party Position in a manner far more coherent than the Green’s appear capable of. If indeed it is the Green Party position, which I’m not at all sure that it is. That party appears incapable of arriving at an agreed position on anything other than soundbites and aspirations. And even less capable of communicating it in a clear and coherent manner that gets people on-board. 

• Advertisement

To be clear, I'm not claiming that's official policy. I don't even know if that is the Green Party position, but what I wrote there is a position that's consistent with the actions of the Green Party TD who is in charge of Transport, and the stated goals of the Green Party itself.

If I'm being charitable to Eamon Ryan, I could say that his statements are deliberately empty so as to not stoke dissent among the hard-Green base that he considers to be his party's core support. Many of those people thought that once Ryan got the Transport seat, it would mean the end of private cars, or new roads carving through the countryside. That's an unrealistic expectation - anyone who lives here knows well that there's a hell of a lot of new roads that need to be built so that people can safely travel across this country - but there would be members of the Green Party who thought that it should have happened.

I think he does need to explain things better, or get someone in who can do some decent spin-doctoring, because right now, he's annoying everyone by not giving a straight answer to a simple question. We all understand that things are complicated: it's the job of his communications staff to find a way of presenting that complicated reality in an understandable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Fantastically sensible post.

To me, the Green Party position is to deal with Ireland as they would wish it to be - everyone living in cities, towns and villages, and only farmers living on the land. It's a philosophy I 100% agree with. However, Ireland as it is, is vastly different to this aspiration. Decades of disgraceful and corrupt "planning" have left us with housing scattered all over the country in a completely unsustainable way. And the people who live in the countryside cannot be wished or forced back into urban environments. These people will always be dependent on cars.

So any sensible approach should be exactly as you've outlined. You want to drive your (electric) car? OK, you can drive it to the multiple Park n Rides we're going to build outside all major cities and towns. From there you can get a train, bus or bike for the rest of your journey. And if you're getting a bus or bike, we're going to have excellent Bus and bike lanes, combined with frequent and cheap/free buses.

In short Green Party, less motorway blocking (not that we have many left to build now anyway), and more - MUCH more - Park n' Rides, and the lanes and services that they need.

AFAIK, the only (vast majority of) Park n Rides that we do have in Ireland are train ones. It's almost as if Bus Park n' Rides are banned in Ireland. You only have to look up North at the Bus Park n Rides near dual-carriageway junctions to see how it could be done.

I'm not just having a shot at the Green Party here - I've come to the conclusion that our local authorities (made up mostly of non-Green councillors and officials) have been so bad in their provision of Park N Rides that the National Government should really step in and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭BagofWeed

Drove it yesterday. In all my years of driving I was actually shocked at how dangerous some of the driving was. Between the selfishness of crawlers and the dangerous overtakers putting themselves and other drivers at risk, it's a wonder there isn't daily deaths on that lethal road. I was glad I made it up and down in 1 piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I still avoid it anytime outside of a Sunday morning or evening drive. Its much more relaxing to take the M8 to Mitchelstown and across the Hospital route - partly because its 80kmh and there is only one overtaking point for 40km so no stress. Since its 80kmh you have no need to pass the lorries anyway because they can generally maintain it. There are one or two obnoxious bends but once you know it its fine.

Did the N20 south yesterday evening and it was fine but yes, one person in an 06 van pootling along at 65kmh between Croom and Charleville - got around him, then the farmer had all traffic stopped for a few minutes to bring cows across the road. To be fair to him - not a nice job and he was letting the cows through in groups so as not to hold traffic up too much. Seemed like a well rehearsed job.

There has been a serious amount of surveying going on over the last few weeks of the existing route between Blarney and Burnfort.

@BagofWeed 100% with you on this. It looks like there was a bunch of us on that road yesterday. I almost always take the M8, R513 and N24 when travelling between Limerick and Cork but on this occasion needed to turn off at West Mallow so took the N20 yesterday afternoon. Got stuck behind a blue hippy style transit van with a Volvo SUV clung to it’s backside and marking the white line just outside Croom and followed them all the way to Mallow at open road speeds varying from 65 to 75. The only time we reached 80 was on the straight near Ballyhea which, together with an oncoming truck, blocked what little chance there was of overtaking safely. We were overtaken on two occasions, both of which I would classify as utterly reckless driving (solid white line, oncoming traffic swerving, no hard shoulders, zero margin for error etc)

I know that road has an exceptionally high accident rate, but every time I am forced to drive it I come away amazed that the number of fatalities isn’t considerably higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The article should read "or Type 2 Dual carriageway, which has a speed limit of 100 km/h".

Personally, I think the route will be entirely Type1 DC under motorway restrictions for consistency; but on traffic volume, I can see how an argument could be made for building at 2+2 for about 25km around the county boundary.

"Motorway" doesn't determine speed limits: For example, exiting the tunnel at Dunkettle in Cork, if you take the M9 motorway, the speed limit (100) is lower than if you take N25 (120).

an argument could be made for building at 2+2 for about 25km around the county boundary.

Which would mean a section of type 2 dual carriageway operating at either 100kmh or 120kmh with no hard shoulder and those garbage STOP SiGNED T- junctions (similar to the N22 and sections of the M7) at any access points sandwiched between two sections of full spec type 1 dual carriageway. That should result in some interesting carnage.

• Advertisement

2+2 cannot be used with 120 km/h limits. Junction design on all dual carriageways is based on traffic volumes: 2+2 roads can have the same kind of junctions as motorways, with sliproads, but only if they have the same kind of traffic volumes using them, but of course it's hard to have that kind of volume using a junction if the mainline doesn't also carry volumes that would require it to be a Type 1 DC.

You see stop-sign joins on 2+2 for the same reason as you see them on type 1 single carriageways: low volumes of traffic joining.

N20 is a very, very quiet road in parts, and even though my own feeling is that ot should be built as type1 to provide a consistent cross-section up the west side of the country from Cork to Tuam, I also know that if 2+2 had been an option at the time, a lot of M18 and M17 would not be motorway...

Advertisement