Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thanks .

Did it go down again in 2017 by 20% or is that where I lost it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Noel Kelly has had far more power than Tubs. Be under no illusion about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE Nine o clock news reporter thinks today’s show was a draw

hanging in the balance

Do your homework . Read the thread !

I said that hours ago !

....... 😘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

Tubs deference, although part of the defence, to NK was so bizarre to watch. Like a pre teenage child and their dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I have no idea who Amanda Brunker is heard the name before but that’s about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As RT reminded us a good few times today. Thought that a bit rich, excuse the pun.

I'll get my head shot off for this but to paraphrase Tubs, he's paid to present and Noel is paid to negotiate the business end of things. So it's understandable that Noel would know a lot more about the business side of things. I'm not saying Tubs was clueless by any means, just that the business end of things is more Noel's area of ..........ahem........expertise.

One massive failing today and other days is visual communication.

They have a massive screen in all those rooms.

Visually explain the story of movement of monies and invoices - its a thousand words.

Show the documents you talk about etc.

Massive piece of the communication missing visually thus causing this confusion and "Kents' Fog".

• Advertisement

One of those B list celebs / influencer people .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Amanda had 2 things goin for her.

Personality and determination

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ryan "15 times" Tubsidy is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Would they have put down anything not related to the services they provide though? And would they issue an invoice to an entirely different company that was UK based?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭deaglan1

1991 must have been a weak year for Miss Ireland entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I think Tubridy has an eye to either returning to RTE or bolstering the inevitable legal case against RTE if he doesn't. In that respect, I think today worked well for him. The entire shambles began and ended in RTE - yes he could have done more in between had he chosen too but he was under no obligation to do so. I think the email from the previous CFO stands to him and puts RTE on the defensive as well as the fact that he went in today for six hours while Dee Forbes has not.

I think he made a good point that will resonate as to how unprepared RTE was for this story breaking and the fact that he only got 30 minutes notice before the story broke. The Board - and presumably some of the Executive - knew this Grant Thornton review was going on and they must have known more or less what the report would indicate. I still don't understand why they had not prepared for this. The fact that basic information wasn't given on Day 1 is what caused a lot of the s**tstorm that followed.

Again with an eye to a potential court case, Ryan Tubridy can point to fact that RTE got its numbers wrong initially when his salary details were published and then went and got its restated numbers about the 150k wrong as well. The fact that this only seems to be being corrected after nearly three weeks is negligent on RTE's part and made worse by the damage done to his reputation as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ha, Ha touche. sorry haven't read all posts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I really don’t think the boys and girls there today were happy with the answers. And by default, if they aren’t happy, then the new director general of RTÉ won’t be happy. And for that reason, I don’t think Ryan will be back on in the short term (next few years).

Richard Boyd Barrett clearly outlined in fairness to him, where many of his colleagues didn’t elements of the negotiated contract that essentially negated the so called reductions in Ryan’s salary. It was a very good and clear question and the part of the answer before the recording cut out was quite evasive .

Out of all the politicians he was actually one of the clearest speakers- unfortunately the recording ended as he was asking follow up questions so don’t know how it ended.

I think it would be a shame if RT wasn’t allowed back- keeping him away from RTÉ won’t really solve the major issues there- I don’t think RT has deserved the much of the flak he’s got, but he does have to take responsibility that whether he believed it or not, his claim of a reduction in salary over the last number of years is very hard to take seriously.

So NK didn't handle Amanda's assets properly🤭

• Advertisement

He admitted that he would sometimes put down stuff not related to the services he provided if asked to do so by the client. He would be asked to do this by the client so that the client could dictate what pot of money the payment comes out of.

I didn't ask him about invoicing a different company in the UK but I'd assume he never did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You probably will get your head shot off.....by some frustrated nomark on social media who's angry with the world and particularly angry at anyone who's made good in life!

Be gas if Tubs had got a job with BBC Ulster covering 12th night and bonfires. His grandfather would turn in his grave!

Tubs will be back on the radio by September if he wants to. Will probably augment that with some TV work as well. He brings in multiples of his salary in advertising.

Irreplacable tbh. Anyone who has any idea at all of how media works knows this. Wanting it not to be the case doesn’t mean it will happen. And that’s riling up some of you more than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

A lot of grandstanding from the oireachtas, every one of them likely throwing stones from a glass house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Today was an incredible watch - outside of what the two meetings should have been about eg

(1) the 5 min introduction from both stretched away beyond that

(2) they were treated very, very differently - and in their favour - compared to others brought before these committees. Was it because RT is the darling of some of the nation or because of Our sense of who HE Is and his connections or maybe his personality demanded it.

(3) Kelly’s solicitor being constantly consulted - mainly by kelly

(4) the waffling / long winded answers by both and answers that at times had nothing to do withthe questions asked

(5) RT constantly referring to all the support he has got re letters of support he received, all the money he raised , Po and what was done with that money - if ever one was looking for a time wasting strategy one need to go no further

(6) trying to deflect/ set the agenda by encouraging the members to ask him questions on certain issues or would life to comment on certain issues / statements made

I COULD GO ON AND ON

i hope that the members were not hoodwinked by the above behaviour and saw through it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Some of the politicians you would have to wonder: Politician asks Noel Kelly What were you selling for Cadbury's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Wake me when Tubs is facing a firing squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The constant shuffling of paper documents was infantile. Organise yourself man.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement