Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plight of Bull Calves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

It's rare that every crop fails....but you could get a yield that's below what it takes to be profitable that year or prices that effectively mean that....there's a reason there aren't that many small tillage operators ...machinery alone costs hundreds of thousands, land rental etc etc.....

It's a risk like most forms of farming or production and the lower you are on the ladder the more of a potential screwing you can be on the end of in any given year..........the food producer is always at the bottom of the pile the way the system works (worldwide- I can't think of many if any examples where the retailer, processor, merchants, and assorted other parasites and middlemens profit margin isnt assured while the poor fucker at the bottom carries the greatest financial risk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm not asking farmers to grow crops at all, I'm just querying your responses. You're the one who brought up crop failures and said it caused the famine. Potato blight is not universal crop failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Farming is cruel.

Ive seen it in my youth.

Animals are disposable commodities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

You originally replied to my post to a poster who wants rid of dairy and beef farmers. Look back over your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

Theirs cooling fans and water drinkers on them export spec livestock trailers. But of course that wasnt mentioned as it didn't suit the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

This individual should be threadbanned, imagine if they said shoot all migrants.

Before the onslaught, I’ve reported the post.

Where did I say I wanted all farmers to grow crops? I simply argued a point in your post, who you were replying to is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Compensation is given in those cases as healthy animals are culled too in order to prevent potential spread of the disease. It can also happens that infected animals are still perfectly fine to eat for meat - again they are culled to prevent the potential spread. The compensation usually would not cover the full value of the animal. In addition, if you have zero compensation then you have incentive for unscrupulous operators to try to conceal incidents of the disease.

You cannot have a system where you kill uninfected animals on one holding purely to protect neighbours and give no compensation for that.

That makes sense.

Would tillage farmers not receive any compensation if an entire crop failed though? And do any of these farmers just grow one crop or would they diversify?

I'm genuinely curious, but none of this takes from the wilful cruelty experienced by farmed animals.

You keep querying my posts. If you look back over your posts I think it's pretty obvious your views. Over this complete thread you have been very subtle getting your point across that dairy and beef farmers should just vanish. You don't say it directly but I fully get that you are not a supporter of the beef and dairy farmer. You wouldn't have started this thread if you were. Anyway I don't want to get into an argument with you so thats the end from me

I'm not a supporter of animal cruelty, that doesn't equate to me wanting dairy and beef farmers to "vanish".

It is best you end it though when your responses are to claim I've said something I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭standardg60

Some interesting points there. Should it not be in the the interest of small farmers to advocate for a cull in the national herd so, given that the explosion in the dairy herd has benefitted only the unscrupulous few and is in fact destroying the livelihood of the small farmer who is only out to make a living?

Culling the herd should make it commercially unviable for said enterprises, and return the land to those who will look after their animals, make a decent living and solve the emission crisis that intensive farming has caused. This makes sense does it not?

I am also not a supporter of animal cruelty. The majority of farmers look after their animals really well for the duration of their life and want their animals killed humanely. However the nature of farming sadly is that the animal has a limited life cycle. I agree with you though that calves should not be taken from their mothers that early or treated badly by anyone in the process. There needs to be change on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

You are wishing for a utopia where operators at scale are forced out in favour of smaller less efficient operators which you hope will become profitable due to higher prices received for their produce. Beef processors don't care how many animals you have or how much land, they will screw everyone over the same. Bigger operators can take that screwing through efficiencies. Plus, bigger operators say decide to scale back and sell land. Smaller guys don't have the money to buy. Even this year you seen tillage farmers who depend on land rental being out competed for land by dairy farmers, purely to tick a box on a form to adhere to new nitrates banding. Now the tillage area, despite government supports is lower. Note too that the herd is the same size now as it was in the early 80s.

It's as if there's no easy solution to a problem created by government guidance and processor screwing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Did you report it to the Garda and the relevant authorities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

Gary Yourofsky: "The problem is that humans have victimized animals to such a degree that they are not even considered victims.

They are not even considered at all. They are nothing. They don't count; they don't matter; they're commodities like TV sets and cell phones.

We have actually turned animals into inanimate objects - sandwiches and shoes."

https://youtu.be/LQRAfJyEsko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

we know they aren't in cahoots because the evidence shows it.

the investigation showed facts in relation to the exportation of the calves.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

From reading the comments people aren't agree g with you.I assure I am very capable of reading what is written .Unfortunately you don't seem tounderstand what you have written

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I would love nothing more than for the small family farm to return. My father had a 60-odd cow dairy farm up to recently and I often considered taking it on. But the market dictates everything and the day of the small-medium farmer is over, unless a niche market (such as organics or selling direct to local markets) can be found. The free market dictates, and the cheap food policy of the EU has resulted in a very tight margin (despite the outlier of the last 2 years) on the price of milk. Ultimately, this tight margin means that the only way to make a decent living is to scale/expand. Unless things change, the big boys are here to stay and will only get bigger imo.

Excellent post and speaking as someone who also grew up in a farming background, it’s a sad reality that the days of the small/medium farm are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

First up, the standards of animal husbandry on the great majority of farms in Ireland are excellent. The general public probably has no idea of the degree of regulation that occurs, and its a positive despite seeming overbearing at times to farmers. I understand how the link is made, and indeed how RTE attempted to copper fasten that link, but it really is misguided to believe that farm scale is the main reason for poor animal welfare standards like were shown last night. What was shown were examples of poor animal handling and transport. Many of the calves shown at the Kerry marts would have originated from 60-odd cow dairy herds for example. Of course, larger farms if they go wrong are misery but the unspoken reality is that animal welfare on smaller farms can be as just as bad or worse in the few cases where practices are poor. It comes down to the attitude of the person managing the farm ultimately. I gave up suckling farming a few years ago and now buy a few beef calves directly from two dairy farmers as a part time enterprise. Each of these chaps are milking probably 200 cows plus. Their attention to detail is spot on, calves get fed milk to exact amounts, are carefully managed onto solid feeds, they have dry sheltered housing with lots of straw bedding, and all details on health treatments are meticulously recorded. They even put warm jackets on the lightest calves in the coldest days of early spring. They wont be on RTE any time soon.

Taking the multiple trading/ traffic through marts out of the system would be a huge benefit to welfare and animal health however. The 'calf jobber' types have always been there and the worst of them need to be regulated out of the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Going by your previous response to my post I'm not assured at all.

Have a read of those comments again....I think you'll find there's at least some semblance of balance and not all posters are reading what they want to read.....while you are at it re-read my posts ...... they absolutely don't boil down to the meaning your reductive response tried to make out.

Now if its not a case that you couldnt grasp that I wasnt saying it hasnt anything to do with some or a small group of farmers (but I was saying it's not the majority of farmers) you either did that deliberately or subconsciously....nor did I say or does my post mean farmers hadn't a hand act or part in it....that would be quite an unusually inaccurate meaning to take from what I posted........just the very fact you appear to think that all or a majority of farmers might be responsible is eye opening to say the least....nevermind the fact that you appear to think what I posted absolves every farmer of blame....to me its at best a real childish petulant response because someone is posting something that doesn't fit your worldview..

If its a mistake fine but if you want to push an agenda and aren't willing to debate then choose another poster to try that shite with.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I’m a farmer and I was being sarcastic.unfortunately in today’s world sarcasm is lost on people.is farmers are terrible people in the eyes of everyone else so we might as well be culled

My bad, apologies for the overreaction.

I’m afraid my Sarcasm Detector is on the fritz at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You keep saying that RTE are in cahoots with the government where the government has editorial control on what RTE airs.

That is an extraordinary allegation, so where is the evidence for that?

Your opinion is not evidence.

You are coming across as one of those flat earther loons.

Advertisement