Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

Really pissed off because I paid you €50 through your barter account and the intern and I have no proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm getting my assistant to check the records now. You put it down as consultancy, yeah?

How dare you. I donated my kidney to a stranger online on good faith. Shame on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't understand the barter account Ted.

Its a matrix of conceit and pure scutter in Donnybrook.

Wow Ted.

Yes. Lies Dougal.

People in power and lies?

On yes.

Jesus Christ Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

End of the day it was on RTE to do the deal, whoever came up with it.

Don't like Tubridy. Don't watch or listen to him,but think it would be a case of the boss blaming the worker for their own mistakes if they were to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think Tubridy tried to manipulate, and looking at the Tonight Show, it was interesting listening to how some clearly saw thru the manipulation, and some fell for the act. The Goss 'woman', I don't know her name, and I don't care, mentioning her instagram following account, and then 'we did a poll and it got a 67 percent vote in favour of Tubridy'... that had nothing to do with anything. Even mentioning her 150, 000 followers, but not mentioning the number of votes on that poll-pointless. There's 5 million people in this country, not all her followers are from Ireland, I imagine, and many are probably bots.

Claire Ronan, with her axe murderer defence, and then 'we don't a get a penny from the license fee'. They do, it's thru the Public Service Fund, I believe.

It's tragic, Terri Prone and Fionnan Sheahan made the most sense.

Interesting listening to the discussion on The Group Chat, the VM1 podcast. They noted that it's 50/50 with Tubridy. But Bakhurst said stuff that sort of implied that nobody's really surplus to requirement, and if he wants to cut costs, talent will go. That he could just cut people, no matter what. It's all down to managing finances now.

He's also discussing how he'll speak to the people within RTE, the staff, the runners, etc, about whether they feel comfortable with Tubridy returning. I feel like it could be a case of Tubridy going to Newstalk like Pat Kenny, or RTE put him on some late night, godforsaken slot on radio that nobody will listen to, on a major reduced wage. Finish out his time at RTE until retirement then get ditched. But I don't see the people of Ireland supporting him returning. Nor do I see the staff doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

There is zero chance Tubs keeps his job because not getting rid of him will push noncompliance of the license through the roof.

He really made things even worse today with the way he tried to inject all this talk of him being all about the children as if he was teaching orphans to read and not shilling for Smyth's once a year.

He has such a low opinion of the average person he really thought that whole shtick about his soul with the dramatic voice crack was going to be taken as genuine. It completely backfired. Crocodile tears coming soon I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

I would tend to disagree.. there is clearly no replacement (otherwise why pay him so much to hold on to him?) and most of the people who want him fired are people who never liked him to begin with and never watched him. I'd say most people who like him still do.

And we all know that the only thing that has to happen is some other event to take centre stage. An election, an end to the war, celebrity death.. Something like that will push all this to the background and I doubt it'd be brought up oin a big way again unless other publicly funded companies come under scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If he does return to RTE radio he should not get his time slot back.

Stick him the graveyard shift and let’s he how popular he there and what audiences and advertisers come on board then.

As Noel Kelly said to the Oireachtas Mr Tubridy is the most trusted man in Ireland then surely he can bring his listeners to the graveyard shift with him.

Lets once and for all see if it’s Mr Tubridy or the time slot that is the real draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

If I was nk or rt I’d be expecting a visit from revenue as they’ve no issue sending invoices for pure random stuff and information. They’ll wont accept the bully down the road in number 8 told me to

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Whatever about listeners and/or his colleagues wanting him back, his appeal for advertisers is hugely diminished, if not completely destroyed.

I can’t imagine any Brand wanting to sponsor any show he’s attached to now, or even advertise during his show. Why would they want to be associated with someone like Tubs (and by association Noel Kelly) after his performance yesterday? This I feel will - or should - be at the forefront of Bakhurst’s mind when it comes to making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

I presume RTE will push back on some of what Noel Kelly had to say (or not say)?

A rebuttal of some of it or a leak of correspondence showing what an agressive, greedy c**t he can be?

That sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Of course people support RT. He has nothing wrong legally anyway. The only mistake RT has made is to out and get a very good deal from his employer.

In this post your only complaint in this post is how dare people not be a jealous of RT as you.

The fact is that RTE agreed his salary and paid him in a less than clear manner. But that's none of RT or NT fault. They are not part of Rtes senior management team or finance department. It's not RT fault that he is paid a high salary. RTE could have offered him a far lower salary and if people here are to be believed he would no other options but to accept it. I'd actually agree with that point but that's the fault of RTE and not RT. Ryan Tubridy does not run RTE. He and his agent are on different sides of the negotiating table and in opposition when talking about pay.

Alot of the posts here are hypocritical. How dare an employee seek the best deal possible from their employer? Should we ban trade unions because that's what trade unions do? Or does outrage and hypocrisy only apply to people earning over X euro. Should people be expected to actively volunter to have pay cuts and not try and get the best deal from their employer? Or again this only apply to people earning above X euro (ie anyone who earns more than me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You’re forgetting about the staff, he is clearly detested in RTÉ by a large cohort. They won’t have him back and this is a big issue for whoever is making a decision on his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

RT wont be made redundant, Kevin Bakhurst knows thet RT is too well connected politically ....I reckon the most that will happen to him is he will be removed from the airwaves for 6 months so he can...reflect.....on a few things.

Minor slap on the wrist and it will appesr that Mr. Bakhurst has dished out punishment to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

To me it feels that the tail was wagging the dog, NK could sense weakness through his dealings with rte and the board and knew how to manipulate that, which meant he could get the best for his clients and in turn a sizeable fee for himself.

They are all complicit but for different reasons imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Tubridy needs to sever ties with NK management and plunge a knife into NKs back this week to save his career. My fear is that NK has compromising photos of RT, so may be reluctant to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

On the face of it that’s correct but there was always a smell of collusion and dodgy accounting about the whole thing on the part of RTE, RT and NK on RTs behalf. After yesterday it’s kind of clear that’s what happened but RT/NK still can’t own any of it. Kelly running away from Carigy’s question is the most egregious demo of that. RTE should dispense with both if they’re services ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

The focus yesterday was entirely on the Renault deal. Were there any questions about the other €2-300k that his salary was topped up by from the barter account, over a 5 year period?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Severance won't happen mate. Tubbs too beholden to NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

ffs..he's unreal..he does actually believe his own crap, which is scarey tbh.

With such a surge against him from the nation,his view is everyone else is wrong and no way its something to do with me...I'm the great Toyman 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Best pals for over twenty years. Can't see RT jumping ship and leaving NK to steer the sinking ship. Titanic comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

As long as RT has a significant public following- and right now he still has a significant following- I don’t think the Director General can easily let him go.

RT had carefully crafted statements that went way beyond the audience in those rooms yesterday - I don’t believe the double act did themselves proud- had they addressed the fact that their statement around “salary” reduction percentage was not reflective or compatible to what an ordinary PAYE worker would consider a salary reduction, they might have won over a few deputies.

A lot of the discussion centered on points of accounting and processing- I think they went too far down into the weeds- the real truth was actually more simple- the extra 75k a year was essentially a spin off payment totally connected to Ryan’s role as LLS host - who paid the end bill doesn’t matter- the “right” thing to do would have been to acknowledge this and also, to say that while technically correct from an accounting perspective, his claimed salary reduction maybe wasn’t as significant as was claimed when looked at in a wider context

it was very rehearsed , included dramatic pause..that's not natural and is coached for effect.

there was way too much paper ruffling to make it seem any other way other than coached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Just one of the questions NK didn't answer

NK said that they had no relationship with Renault. But yet they sat that they thought that the payment from ASTOS was from Renault. Although the wording on the invoice they sent( 'consultancy fees') were under instruction from RTE.

Why would NK take instructions from RTE on how to word an invoice from Renault?

he'll be back in some form, he's going nowhere and it might take him time.

He'll believe it's his right, - remember,he has connections too and for sure will have supporters with vested interests, if there's a quid to be made...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It wasnt a good deal. It wasnt sustainable. It involved NK and RT lying by commission and omission to conceal the payments from scrutiny.

Everyone else in RTE was going through paycuts and Tubridy lied about taking one.

RTE should have told Tubridy where to go for sure but RT and NK are to blame here also.

Its not a good deal if when it comes to light it leaves the clients reputation in tatters and other stars deserting NK.

A good deal would have been one that could be publicly justified and sustained.

These things are rather important if you want to keep working in a high profile public facing job for the same employer for a long time.

So not a good deal at all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement