Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Can anybody advise of servicing costs for ID3?

Just out of interest I'd assume ID4 service costs are sane as ID3

Also what would real range be for ID3 if mostly motorway at decent speed?

At the moment I head into the office twice a week from Balbriggan to Kilmainham. So thats 176km along so I'll probably do about 200km a week with driving at weekend included.

I've a 1.5 diesel nissan xtrail for sale at the moment and thinking of getting an ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just paid 200 euro for a new pollen filter, wipers and a video of underneath the car 🙄. First ‘service’ at almost 2 yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭joe1303l

i don’t think that’s too bad for 2 years motoring and you’ve a stamp in the book. When you come to sell, a full VW service history will be useful to have and could pay dividends in the future with a goodwill/warranty claim. Obviously if you wanted to attempt to save money you could have done the wiper blades and pollen filter yourself in advance with motor factor parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Anyone else had this message ? Couldn’t start the charge using the app last night. Plugged it back out and in manually and after a minute it stated charging.

On 2.4 with new 12v.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Do you need this 'service' to keep the battery warranty? The Cupra care pack I have covers pollen filter, front pads, wipers and brake fluid so I don't really need anything for probably 4-5 years. I'm guessing a battery coolant flush is needed after a few years.

I don't care for the video health check, the last one done on my Golf was rushed so I couldn't see anything. I'll take my chances with the tyre centre pointing out any visual issues on the suspension...

I'm not one to cheap out on servicing but the EV service isn't really a service. I'd rather pay something like €100-120 if it's just a health check to maintain warranty.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I had mine done a few weeks ago, needed 4 new tires, all in was about 1K.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Yes mine was the same this morning when I went to turn on the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

A three year old small battery ID.3 in my experience would have 220kms (rain, cold weather, wind) to 290kms (optimal conditions) range on motorway. I think you might be getting better results as M50 and M1 do not allow being constantly at 120kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I wouldn’t think it’s “needed” for the battery warranty but if you end up in a few years with an unexpected expensive repair like a module/ecu/etc. it really helps to have a service history. VW often help out with out of warranty stuff with a goodwill arrangement but it’s very dependent on having the book stamped.

To be fair they did pick up on the tyre recall and swapped the two remaining Goodyears. I hadn’t been aware of the tyre recall at all. It probably is no harm to bring it in for a check every now and then. But 200 is excessive for what was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

First Service cost me 149.00. Depending on the battery in the car my ID3 is the 77kwh usable and based in Kilkenny work out of Dublin Airport so travel up there each week 135km each way 270km total and motorway majority of the way with 80% battery charge which I would normally do I arrive back in Kilkenny with between 90-110Km.

Correct 3 year standard VW warranty and then the battery warranty is separate on ID cars.

What does the 90,000km apply to ?

If you hit over 90,000 within the 3 years you’re out of warranty? (I will hit 90,000km’s in less than 2.5 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Basically 1st 24 months will be unlimited mileage.

If you are at less then 90 k kms at 24 months then your warranty will either end at 90 k kms or month 36 - whichever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Fella on twitter was saying Uk owners having issues.

To the point of circuit breakers on the car clicking apparently.

https://twitter.com/Yorkie71/status/1679122943865962496?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Is there a way to get the car's own navigation system to display place names in English rather than Irish?

Yes, I know Google Maps and other CarPlay alternatives are superior. But can the language be changed? And, if not, who thought that was a good idea?

Thanks Old Diesel, there must be something up somewhere, that Twitter thread has too many coincidences and I got that burst of 6 messages to say the car was charging when it was in motion …

“To be fair they did pick up on the tyre recall and swapped the two remaining Goodyears. I hadn’t been aware of the tyre recall at all. It probably is no harm to bring it in for a check every now and then. But 200 is excessive for what was done”.

We had looked at a Kia EV before settling on the id3, servicing was every 15,000km’s at €200 a go, that would be €600 a year for us plus the hassle ..if you want to keep the 3 year or 90,000km warranty (thanks Old Diesel) it needs the service, after that I wouldn’t be too pushed but it would cover you for any issues.

Huh? This doesn’t happen in our car. At least I haven’t noticed it and use cars own navigation a good bit. Chargepoint finder is useful in France.

Might have to make an appointment….comparing this **** show to the Tesla app and operating ux is like going back to the 1980’s ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I was having charging issues last week and found a solution which involved pulling a fuse to reset charging in the car. I posted details here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120825501#Comment_120825501

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Does it pull the info from Google Maps I wonder? My Tesla is similar - often prioritising Irish over English placenames, mangled spoken directions included. Apparently this is because this is the way the data comes from Google, presumably due to pressure from the Gaelgeoir Taliban who like to pretend that more than a handful of people speak Irish fluently. Don't get me wrong - I speak Irish better than the large majority of Irish adults I'd imagine, but this is a serious safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Would you have any concern regarding battery degradation?

I was watching a youtube video this morning and it was concerning to see one german guy was experiencing 10% decline after 2 years and I think it was little over 40,000km . I think he had used DC fast charger 35% of all charging up to that point.

I'm in two minds between sticking to my 06 diesel golf I have after selling the nissan xtrail and buying id3.

Can anybody confirm if I see 2020 ID3 model first edition at low mileage is there anything I should be weary about?

I'd like the ID3 to be reliable for next 8 to 10 years. My 06 diesel has given me that, cani expect the same from ID3?

Aye, thanks electricus, i might just try that tomorrow if it goes strange again- it’s in for the update next month and will flag it there- it’s a great machine but this software stuff is a pain- would I swap it for anything ? …the answer is still no which says a lot, but going from the id3 to the MY makes the Tesla look like a very slick machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Can anybody confirm if I see 2020 ID3 model first edition at low mileage is there anything I should be weary about?

There isn't much really other than ensuring that they have got it upgraded to v3.2 of the software which requires a dealer visit to complete and will ensure you have none of the software issues that you will see mentioned on the internet. Its a free update, but its one less thing for you to have to deal with.

There are some one-off things that various people have had issues with, but by and large the car has been rock solid for owners. No major issues.

The one off's are things like the rear seat latch rattling, charge port door getting stuck, some sensor gremlins (they'd show up on the dash) but I think other than driving the car and ensuring it drives alright not much for you to actually check... tyres, buttons etc!

Would you have any concern regarding battery degradation?

I was watching a youtube video this morning and it was concerning to see one german guy was experiencing 10% decline after 2 years and I think it was little over 40,000km . I think he had used DC fast charger 35% of all charging up to that point.

Battery degradation is relatively high in the first year and then it slows down after that. 5-10% wouldn't be anything to worry about in the ID.3. Mine is coming up on 3yrs and its been hovering at 53-54kWh's (58kWh new) for the last 2yrs now. Its very stable and still getting the same range from it.

I'd like the ID3 to be reliable for next 8 to 10 years. My 06 diesel has given me that, can i expect the same from ID3?

The EV drivetrain (battery, motor, inverter etc) are covered under warranty for 8yrs/160k km's so that's all the reliability you need to know. Everything else is under a 3yr/90k km warranty and after that you're on your own, like an ICE, just that there is very little else to go wrong in an EV so you should be fine.

The ID.3 is a very good car and is VW's Golf so reliability should be very good but it is still a new platform (<3yrs) so there is some element of risk but that goes with any car (ICE or EV).

Yes it does have the travel assist as part of the assistance plus pack . More advanced version of ACC. It does not do auto lane change.

That worked electricus 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Great that it worked, it’s (another) strange one! I thought it was related to the 3.2 update but you’re on 2.4 so not that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I generally always use either Google Maps or Waze (sometimes Apple Maps) but was using the internal Navigation because I've got a loaner car with the heads-up display and wanted to see the pretty augmented reality arrows (!).

The heads-up display is cool but loses a lot of its potential value by only working fully with the VW navigation system, which is awkward to use, not well laid-out, and requires client-side updates (rather than the server-side ones all the other navigation apps use).

Incidentally, the loaner also has travel assist, lane assist, park assist, and the panoramic roof, none of which my car has. Of those, the only one I really wish I had are the little lane assist lights on the wing mirrors. That's handy enough. Is there anything else that travel assist adds to ACC other than: 1) car taking control of the steering; 2) car setting off from a stop automatically even if more than 10 seconds have elapsed? The steering thing is a bit of a swizz. If my hands are on the wheel, it's not like it requires great effort or thought to move them the tiny amounts generally required to stay in the lane on a motorway.

Panoramic roof seems to only really have a function for people sitting in the rear seat. I'd only notice it from the driver's seat when the sun is burning my bald head!

Advertisement