Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

yep..remove him..let this die down..slowly reintroduce, he might start covering for a few shows when People on leave, test the water and gradually feed back in. it will happen, unfortunately.

• Noel Kelly knows where Ryan Tubridy’s bodies are buried, the latter is under the influence of Stockholm Syndrome in having convinced himself Kelly is his best pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

He will be back on the radio , anybody with half a brain could tell it was a self serving dramatic act yesterday. Sadly most of the country don't possess half a brain. Evidenced by a few of our very own TDs and Senators. I find it extremely naive of the posters on here who think everyone in the country think RT is a fake , smarmy parasite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But that's from RTEs perspective. I think the deal agreed was stupid and way to big. But its that's not RT and NKs fault. It's RTEs managments. The idea that only one person in RTE is fantasy or if its true its a huge failing on anyone involved in senior management that only one person could know of two 75k payments.

If we were use your criteria the government would be ripping up every public sector contract in the civil service and bringing all the union heads and employees before PAC. The public sector have defined benefit pensions. The fact is these are completely unsustainable. In the private sector they are all but gone.

The pension time bomb is not a new problem.

There are plenty of threads on this forum that highlights plenty of unsustainable things about payments to employees in the public sector.

Are you honestly saying the government should rip up all employment agreements with anyone with a defined benefit pension etc? If you truly believe what you say that's the stuff you are talking about doing? Or does your outrage/standards only apply to highly paid public figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Well NK did say yesterday that if someone on air in a slot started dropping listenership over the course of a few JNLRs, they’d have to realise their job was in danger. Take him at his word. Put Tubs back on air. See the drop in JNLR performance and the loss of advertising revenue as he has to be advertiser toxic at this point. Then invite him to jog on at the end of his contract or before if there’s a performance clause. Also let him back to work with all the ‘good friends’ he has in RTE. As a published political author he should be more than aware of the mantra that applies to polical careers all ending in failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

They did renegotiate, the older staff kept theirs and let the younger public and civil servants take the brunt so a very similar situation really.....for over a decade people have been on the single payer system based on overall life earnings rather than end of career earnings. Anyone on this pension will be lucky to see what they put in but also isn't free to use that money elsewhere.

It's very hard to know the truth of why this arrangement came into existence snd thsta the crux.......hopefully the emails will elucidate this. I'm not a fan of RT, never have been but I don't see him as the real problem, just a symptom. There are contractors in many walks of life who negotiate huge deals compared to standard workers in the same job, but the added risk and market value is what's being negotiated. This is not the case in RTE, but that's an RTE problem, pillorying RT won't fix anything, it's putting someone in the stocks cos it makes us feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

There was something NK explained at one point yesterday that troubled me and warrants further investigation.

Noel gave the example of a chef he represents that he got a book deal for. He then mentioned that he wanted to get a TV series for this person. Knowing RTE would tell him they wouldn't have the money to pay for such a series, HE would go out and find a sponsor to finance the series. RTE then would basically have a paid for series to add to their schedule - Kelly would have himself a new, profiled star.

It seems to me that Noel Kelly (based on what he said) can sometimes act as a salesman and scheduler for RTE. How's that for oversized influence?

Also, it makes it not credible that he had nothing to do with Renault in the Ryan Tubridy case.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

A certain section of RTs radio and TV audience seem to be oblivious to what has gone on between NK,RT, and RTE. You have the devoted listener and viewer who will always believe that RT is the golden boy and can do no wrong. Particularly after entertaining the country durning the pamdemic.

Whether there are enough loyal listeners and TV viewers out there to justify RT returning to the airwaves remains to be seen. Also going by the reaction of the ground floor staff that keeping RTE a float durning this historic crisis it seems like the have lost total trust in him. a d who can blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Oh I didn't know that. But I can see what you mean in terms of their protests alright. Is anyone reporting that the staff want him gone altogether? I can see that they're obviously upset about it all but from a quick look now I didn't see anything around an internal request for him to go altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

For three professionals the way this was handled is out of this world - and these three professionals had well paid solicitors , acccountants, lawyers, , etc behind them. iMO they all had to collude For the payment to go through the way it did.

This was a contract for services for serious money and all contracts - no matter between who and no matter about what would have relevant basic information and as in this case such as:-

• the parties involved - Renault and RT or his company
    • the nature of the work giving details/ of the work to be carried out, location, work duration, props needed and other relevant details
    • who is going to carry out the work - in this case RT
    • agreed cost - vat being specified
    • how and when payment was to be made eg in instalments and before or after work was carried out
    • specific details as to who payment was to be made - companies have official names and trade names
    • the method of transfer - eg online bank transfer- and stating bank code

i am not a lawyer, accountant or anything of that nature. I was just involved in a very, very, very small company - probably one fifth the size of PK’s - that had access to some public funds and the above points would have been seriously considered for inclusion in such a contract. The above are not thoughts after the ‘horse has bolted’ . I would have come up withthe same points years ago. They would be standard points for anyone with a Primary Cert from national school and a few years experience ‘ in the trade’

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What does this irrelevent whataboutery have to do with the current topic?

Did people on pensions get paid by submitting false invoices???

You obviously are unable to respond to the points put to you in good faith when this is your response. It was explained to you why it was not a 'good deal'. It was explained to you why people think Tubridy is a sleeveen. If you can't understand that or why so many people don't want to see Tubridy on RTE again, that's on you.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

They’re interesting alright. I had no idea sponsorship could mean picking up the tab for the entire show. My impression always was that if a show cost 100,000 to produce, a sponsor deal would pump 20,000-30,000 in to offset the initial cost with sales to tv then making a profit for the producers.

It does explain some of the awful dross on prime time RTE over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

First of all I didn't introduce his name into this discussion at all. I happen to think that referring to RT and Kelly as Rodney and Del boy (today's indo) sums up finnan ability as a journalist. A spoofer of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭McFly85

I may have missed it but did they have any other detail about what prompted those directions from RTE?

As in, was there an email from NK asking for direction on payments from Renault and RTE just gave him those instructions or was it something else showing that NK was aware that the payment would come through RTE. Or did RTE send those instructions without any prompting from NK?

The context would go a long way to determining how involved NK actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Pat Kenny fairly in the Tubs camp. shocker there.

The self entitled like to sick together.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,614 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How did Gay Byrne's sensible 2 hour slot each weekday morning get replaced with Tubridy's show just being 1 hour? I can't find any example on Irish or UK radio of a stations 'star' having a 1 hour show in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Bakhurst should put Tubridy on 3 nights a week on Late Date or night time on Lyric FM and see can he work his 'magic' from there.

Im pretty sure audience numbers would not change much. Then, out the door in 2025. No big pay off, just a slow deflation of his obviously massive ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

For what happened to happen there had to be collusion by them all including RT. Even when RT/PK ‘spotted’ the annual payment for service of employment it was raised by them internally With all those ‘in the know’ only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Time will tell.

Post edited by Sorolla on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Leo Varadkar

Michelle O'Neill

Irish Flag

GFA

Garvahy Road

David Trimble on a roll

We didn't start the bonfire...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sure find us the posts where you tell us what you think of Tubridy. You seem pretty free with your opinions on other targets.

Amazing how you will put the boot into anyone and everyone but not Tubridy or NK.

Pretty obvious agenda being played out here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I've said that from the start. The Oireachtas Committees will never get to the bottom of it, especially if Forbes can't be compelled to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Its not whataboutry. I am calling out hypocrisy. You just don't like the this being pointed and the implications if your point was applied to everyone.

We have one rule for RT and a completely different rule for everyone else. My point is that legally RT has done nothing wrong. Grant Thornton have also said that. From my point of view RT and NT when and did what every other employee/employee representative/union does. RTE agreed to a salary that RT is unlikely to gave got anywhere else. That was a bad decision but it was RTEs fault not RT or NTs.

You brought up that RT should not have agreed to deal because it was unsustainable ie employees/agents/unions/etc should not agree deals with employers that they know are unsustainable. With my example I have taken your point at face value assuming you actually meant it and teased out the implications of it.

Anyone in the public sector who agrees a deal with the government that includes a defined benefit pension should know its unsustainable. There had been enough news about it. If not the employee their union (ie the role of NK for RT) know its an unsustainable agreement at least long term. Again warning about the pension timebomb are nothing new. The pension situation is very clear cut most situations including RT are/were not as clear cut. Remember in RT case his employer was capable of paying him a higher salary before, and before you factor in the inflation on the real money value of his salary. So his salary in the 00s was even higher in today's money.

So from the sounds of it you apply one standard to RT and everyone else is subject to a lesser standard for some reason.

You mean the photo of him imitating JFK with the hand on the shoulder of the boy?

Its too late, we've seen it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Bakhurst indicated that consultation with staff would be part of the decision on RT's future in RTE.

• There is so much I find incredulous about the responses I heard yesterday:

1. A key one is NK hearing about the Grant Thornton findings and not tipping off his client and personal friend. We are asked to believe it totally slipped his mind.
    2. And needless to say NK raising no question about instructions from an organisation he rigorously negotiated with.

These are things that just did not happen as we were all told yesterday. I’d do time to rebuff their validity.

Byrne did LLS, 2 hour radio show, and numerous other programs. A true pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The squirming going on about Ryan Tubridy and whether he knew about this scandal when he stepped away from the LLS. Anyone who accepts that at face value needs their head checked.

That biggest untruth of all is to accept he stepped away from that gig and this is all a coincidence.

If he gets back on air with RTE that's me done with the license fee for good. **** them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement