Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It will be far more accurate than some of the shite being peddled now by the media in order to save Tubridy. Unreal the hold the guy has over them.

Anyone i have met through work or leisure is of the same opinion about the guy. Insincere and sorry because he was caught. They also think he is bang avergae at his job and 100k per annum is too much for him.

I'm literally yet to meet anyone who thinks he is worth anywhere near the coin he was getting. Yes some think he was an ok broadcaster but certainly replaceable. RTE need to make a statement here and get rid of the guy. Show the rest of them that they are not untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was out last night at a function (not and RTE one) so didn't get to se the Virgin Media report until very late last night.

Fionnán Sheahan and Terri prone were very good in their analysis.

Sheahan mentioned the obvious PR-coaching and the list of stock phrases that Kelly and Tubs rattled off at every opportunity, whether relevant to the question that was asked of them or not.

Prone (who anyone that's familiar with my posting over the years knows I'm no fan of for a number of reasons) was and has been very good in her analysis and commentary on this while affair - and trust me, it pains me to say that. Prone's damning analysis were that:

"his (Ryan's) opening script was fine, but ths issue is that he performed it. He should have just read it"

"Ryan lost the room"

"There was a sense all of the time that he was almost preaching like an archbishop"

Prone also stated that for a certain cohort ("older women" - her words), Ryan probably did well and would have their sympathy. However for anyone younger, she felt they would be a lot less sympathetic.

She's right about the performance of the opening statement - had he just read it calmly, it would have had far more impact than the amateur dramatics we were presented with - which had the affect of doubting the sincerity of the person delivering it as it was so OTT>

Paul McAuliffe and Paul Colgan were both also good to be fair, McAuliffe was also good at the Committee Meeting earlier in the day. I don't think the lady from The Goss or the lady from Ocean FM however will be back on that show.

I'm a Virgin Media customer, I have a Virgin Media box and Virgin Broadband - for some reason though only approx. 40minutes of the show were recorded so I didn't see the full show. I will try and find the rest later, but I still have 90mins+ of yesterday's Oireachtas appearance to view as well.

You think it's easy to watch and listen to all this stuff whilst going to functions at night and sipping lattes....I tell ya, you'd want to try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Anyone else get an invoice from Noel Kelly this morning?

Must be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

think RT will indeed make a radio comeback and the way to make this happen is to have him on a show where he has the chance to interface directly with the public.

in fact, I think Liveline would be the perfect vehicle for RT to make that comeback 

he is a naturally gifted broadcaster - probably one of the best this country of Wogan, Byrne, Norton,…. has ever produced

he dearly loves the people of Ireland, with whom he has raised millions for charity and the people of Ireland - especially those whose lives he saved during the pandemic clearly love RT

yesterday - his humility and remorse shone through - he had asked us for forgiveness - I forgive him with all my heart and soul as do millions of others like me.

Would you drink a latte at night? I wouldn't get a wink of sleep with that carry on.

• Advertisement

I've no doubt that RTE's governance and practices were deplorable.

But fook me. For a contractor to come out with that performance yesterday and literally **** all over you. How the hell could they take him back now. It's impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

An important detail you're missing, the 40% pay cut NK described was over the last 10/11 years when Tubridy was being paid €723,500

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Clare Ronan works for Ocean FM.

If you think Tubridy is a waste of space, you should listen to the breakfast show on OceanFM.

Worst presenter on Irish radio. But you can't criticise her(Mags) on the Sligo forum or you get a warning for a personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Not sure a poll would give you an accurate picture. At the moment this thread is full of rt diehards who agree that the money "didn't affect his soul" and we must think of the poor childer who would be devastated to lose the toyman.

The level of delusions and narcissism from Tubridy are truly shocking.

• Advertisement

A latte would be the least of my worries sleep wise. I have severe sleep apnea, I don't sleep anyway at the best of times. I had a latte at the function I was out last night as I never drink at those type of events, and had to drive home afterwards so justified the coffee consumption on that front. That said, my Consultant says not to drink coffee after 12pm so I do know what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

From my recollection it was always 23% after the jump from 21%, which I think was 2012.

Maybe the expert who posted above can confirm as "Vat is complex"

@[Deleted User] maybe you could provide some valuable knowledge on the subject as an expert?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

VAT on services was NEVER 23%.

VAT on GOODS is 23%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I said prior to yesterday, both Kelly and Tubs would of spent thousands getting coaching and it showed. Rehearsed a few answers and kept repeating it. The couple of lines about the Irish people dropped in with nearly zero relevance to try "connect with the people". Answering questions not asked, like they had a batch of answers so just use them.

Dropping in "highlights" of tubs career to try remind the public what a great person he is. Going on about the books??? when it was not called for. Talking about the money donated to Late Late show as if it was Tubs himself giving the money to the poor from his bank balance. Mentioning about all the good the money did

Talking about the money but it hasn't chnaged him, he is still one of the people

Blah blah blah. I am sure they paid ALOT of money for it and it blew up in their faces

RTE's response to having being shat on from a height yesterday will be interesting. They originally threw out Dee Forbes as the one and only scapegoat and I assume they assumed Kelly would do the same. Now that Kelly has implicated many others I'd imagine the gloves are off and we're in for a very interesting reply tomorrow and over the next few days. I'd expect a strong rebuttal and retaliation - expect lots of not-exactly-flattering stories about NKM "talent" and RTE into and over the weekend.

Finally for now - and apologies I don't have a link to this as I didn't copy it - but there's a clip of Richard Collins appearing before a committee from 2021 doing the rounds at the moment and let's just say it's as "inspiring" as his recent appearances. It's absolutely worth checking pout. I will try and find it again later, but if anyone thinks he as just having bad days at the office when he appeared twice recently, he wasn't.

• Gaybo’s show was the flagship morning entertainment & feature show with an element of listener interaction back in the day, then Pat Kenny would come on with an emphasis on current affairs. They were RTE’s heavyweight glory years on radio. There was a real sense of impact from the moment the opening tune blasted over the radio.

It was the borderline shouting over the questioner in both committees that I thought was up with the worst of it - and when eventually they, ie the questioner, conceded (although it ate into their 10 minute allotted time), it was emotional, self-aggrandising grandstanding that had NOTHING to do with what he was being questioned about (no conicidence there!) Marie Sherlock in her excellent segment was a particular victim of this. She should be given half an hour minimum next time.

Should not have been allowed by the chair - let it run once, and then stamp down on it hard every time it's tried again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A reminder that yesterday, two men sat in front of a government committee and lied through their teeth.

It used to be that integrity and credibility meant something, yet even now there are people who don't seem to care that they just got lied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

In fairness, it didn't help that the morons the other side of the desk kept asking the same questions over and over again - more concerned about the sound byte for their Twitter feed than they were about examining the witnesses.

• Advertisement

Is that because she's a woman?

You weren't allowed criticize a certain NKM personality a few years ago on the radio forum because all criticism was labelled as "sexist". Her sex was never mentioned by any poster, all the comments were based on her performance btw. It became a "catch all" to stop any discussion.

Curiously, she did have a group of posters who defended her no matter how bad her performance was. It was almost as if they were organized......

Have to dash for a few hours, but will be back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Invoicing a UK company for work that was carried out in this country

is that illegal tax wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Can we go back to the soap opera aspect of it all. I only say some of the hightlights, I'd say NK staff adore him and he is probley a nice guy.. Stick with me, watch and learn, as for RT a little bit delusional but he didn't bring about his own downfall.

In fact, further to my post above - In a high profile, complex case like this, I wonder could they not agree to reduce the number of questioners so that each one could have longer to drill into their particular issue?

I felt often in yesterdays PAC (I've only seen snippets of the Media Comm, but as I said particularly in the case of Marie Sherlock) they were just about getting NK/RT on the ropes with their evasive answers and ducking and diving - and then their time was up and all momentum was lost.

I'm sure they love the profile of doing the grilling - but for the greater good, if anyone of you is reading this - please consider this for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Doesn't matter. RTE told him to do it, so it's fine.

I mean, it's not like it's the responsibility of Noel Kelly and his company to ensure that invoices they send are correct, and his company isn't a big company like RTE. So that absolves him of any responsibility for his own actions because a big boy told him to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There may be procedural rules against it, but say if there's two from same party, then they could take it in turns one week versus next to be the sole questioner. That way they both get coverage.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Prone (who anyone that's familiar with my posting over the years knows I'm no fan of for a number of reasons) was and has been very good in her analysis and commentary on this while affair - and trust me, it pains me to say that.

Prone's damning analysis were that:

"his (Ryan's) opening script was fine, but ths issue is that he performed it. He should have just read it"

Exact same here, and not a Prone fan either but I nodded my head hard, in agreement with what she said, especially the part about him performing the opening script. It straightaway came across as so phoney and overacting rather than something sincere and spoken from the heart.

I had mentioned in a previous post here the 'fifteen times, fifteen times my name was mentioned, and I was not consulted... DRAMATIC PAUSE...ONCE...' Quavery voice at this point, and a look around at the audience awaiting the applause. You actually couldn't make it up.

If he is at a loose end any time soon, he should audition for an amateur drama production. He wouldn't get the part based on that performance overall, yesterday, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Gardai, judge and revenue are the only ones to sort this. Do they even swear an oath for these oireachtas committees? There is no penalty for perjury.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is one thing I expect RTE to do.

Everybody so far has been extremely evasive about clarifying exactly who requested/prompted/suggested the top up payments. Where did the very idea come from, nobody seems to know. Noel Kelly want us to believe it was all RTE, that they woke up one morning and decided for no reason at all to create extra money for Ryan Tubridy purely out of the goodness of their heart.

After being hung to dry by Kelly yesterday I suspect RTE will suddenly remember who's idea it all was. And since common sense dictates that it must have originated with Tubridy/Kelly, they could end up looking very, very badly indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A big problem with these committees is that there's no divisioning or planning of questions. They're not saying "You ask questions on this topic, I'll ask questions about this other thing, you're going after me so I'll ask these questions and then you can follow up with this". It's because they're all from different parties, with different agendas. So they all want to be the one to ask the main questions and go for the gotchca and/or grandstanding, even above others from the same party as themselves.

So in fairness to Noel Kelly, as stupid and ridiculous as it was that he just kept repeating that RTE told him to raise the invoice that way and he was doing what RTE told him, the reason he gave that answer so many times is because he was asked the same question so many times.

Plus the fact that NK/RT only gave them all the documents/info 2 hours before the first hearing and nobody had enough time to properly go through it, a move I can only consider to be entirely intentional. While Tubridy repeatedly threw out the line about how hard the last three weeks have been and how long they spent getting all the documents together, Monday morning at the latest is when those documents should have been handed over for review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement