Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭creedp

I wonder would Prone have expressed a different view if RT had lavished €10k+ on her to ensure he performed to her high standards yesterday? Terry is as much of an influencer on how 'talent' have been represented in Irish society for a lot longer that NK has. Long past being tired of listening to her pontifications tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would add...

It would have been an obvious disaster limitation strategy for Tubridy to come out and disassociate himself from NK and blame it all on the agent. Instead he is still lockstep with NK.

This suggests to me that if he tried that, NK has enough dirt on him (whether this scandal or others) to bury him.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So in fairness to Noel Kelly, as stupid and ridiculous as it was that he just kept repeating that RTE told him to raise the invoice that way and he was doing what RTE told him, the reason he gave that answer so many times is because he was asked the same question so many times.

I'd say 50% that, and 50% because they'd been rehearsed to within an inch of their lives, and it was the only answer he had, so he was going to answer it to everything. The questioners did manage to come at the same question from different angles, in fairness to them - but the answer was always just the parrotted rehearsed one.

Monday morning at the latest is when those documents should have been handed over for review.

And when they weren't, they should have deferred the appearances until they had had time to properly prepare. It wasn't a total waste of time yesterday, but could have been a LOT more fruitful had they been properly on top of their briefs. The witnesses would be loath to try that trick again if it was stamped on once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was part of a long term plan to divide RTE Radio 1 programmes up into slots of 2 hours of serious programmes then followed by 1-1.5 hrs of lighter entertainment. Argue against it if you will but its not a bad idea to split the programming up like this, instead of a wall of death and mosery from dusk till dawn.

Gay Byrne was succeeded by Marian Finucane, (Joe Duffy moved into her Liveline slot) and she then moved to weekends around 2004 or so. Tubridy took over for a few years, initially for 2 hrs and this marked the start of 'light entertainment'. I think after Gerry Ryan dies and Tubs moved there, the programme moved to a 1 hr segment with John Murray and we got 2 hrs of Pat Kenny from 10.00-12.00.

And then Tubs moved back to R1 and we have the current format the past 7 or 8 years.

So we now have;

5.30 - 7 - Light - Rising Time

7-9 - Current Affairs - Morning ireland

9-10 - Light - Tubridy

10-12 - CA - Today

12-1 - Light - Louise Duffy (ex Ronan Collins)

1-3 - CA - News at One and Duffy (stretching it a bit to call him CA, but it's rarely all light stuff)

3-4.30 - Light - D'Arcy

4.30 - 7 - CA - Drivetime

7-10 - Light - Arena followed by John Creedon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Which has been an issue form day 1, why they went back over and over the same questions instead of taking over from last person I will never know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

What really grates is the fact that Tubridy's presence at the committee yesterday basically begging to get his old job back, even at a much reduced rate, makes a total mockery of the delusion many have been labouring under for a decade plus...... That RT is such an accomplished and sought after talent, that RTE needed to pay him these extortionate salaries to begin with.

If he had one iota of a scruple and genuinely believed his employer destroyed his reputation to save itself, then he would walk away now and go to a conpetitor. But of course, the reality is there never were any other competitors seeking his services, not before this debacle and certainly not now. To think that this cretin was earning 3/4 of a million quid in 2011 from a public sector broadcaster in a tiny market, from which he was never going to be poached...... it's egregious waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Knowing no one else was out there offering big bucks, it should have made him cautious not to do anything to jeopardise this golden goose...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Endless, stupid waffle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The VAT evasion is the big no no from a revenue perspective and no amount of “I was following instructions” will cut it when the VAT man comes a knocking.

If I set up a business, in Ireland, and register for VAT and then provide a service within Ireland to another Irish registered company (Renault) I am compelled by law to charge VAT at the relevant rate. That rate is NOT zero!

Garlic man, anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I agree - too many posters totally biased against RT

Oh yeah Terry, showed her true colours re The Tuam babies scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It does help though. Repetition of questions gives Tubs and NK ample opportunity to slip up in their answers.

Good to see that you're not one to jump to conclusions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Just completely see through

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Personally, I try hard to stay as objective as I can. I think they are liars on both sides but on balance, especially the RTE side.

But there's not a whiff of a doubt in my mind that Tubs stepped down from The Late late Show because he knew this was coming. There's not a whiff of doubt in my mind that Tubs and Kelly were both fully in the know about what was going on and that these payments were intended to be hidden from the start.

I'd be very interested in hearing something from somebody at Renault Ireland about it all - But I'm sure they just want it all to go away and they'll break their association with RTE at the earliest opportunity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And when they weren't, they should have deferred the appearances until they had had time to properly prepare. It wasn't a total waste of time yesterday, but could have been a LOT more fruitful had they been properly on top of their briefs. The witnesses would be loath to try that trick again if it was stamped on once.

I had the same thought re deferring it. It was totally unacceptable to only provide a 39 page document a couple of hours beforehand. It was a definite stroke, and should not have been permitted. It would have been no harm to let Tubridy and Kelly sweat for another few days.

They were seething there yesterday, from any bits I saw. Tubridy forgot himself completely at one point, when being questioned about what researchers were being paid. He started to shout down the woman questioning him, thinking he was back on the LLS where he got to do that with impunity, I'd say. Albeit with a grin pasted on his face for the purpose - there wasn't much grinning yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

RT "I say to Noel, you do your job, i do mine". By saying this RT is now pushing the blame onto NK for the mess he finds himself in, yet he arrives at the hearing sharing the same legal team and sits with him in defence blaming RTE for damaging his career. Stinks.... dont it? You employ someone to represent you and they ruin your career by issuing fake invoices and is involved in underhanded dealings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I never liked Tubs but he is no villain and no hero.

Gay Byrne was born to be the LLS presenter, RT is reminds me of a competent person who becomes a GP to run his practice for profits first and people second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CuruiosGeorge

The comments here seem to be in general lacking in balance and happy to continue in the current social media fashion of being "outraged". I see little mention of the amount of Revenue Ryan Tubridy brings into RTE in advertising and how that compares to what he was paid, and while I don't condone the false accounting in RTE I see little recognition of the conflicts in the general model of being a public/private organisation jointly funded from public and commercial funds (roughly 50/50 I think) or what the net commercial consequence would have been of playing hardball with Noel Kelly on fees and potentially losing Tubridy ( which could equally require a further increase in licence fees to cover the gap) . I have no vested interests in any of the parties but do appreciate logical and objective assessment of events which seems to be sadly lacking here. I did find one useful balanced article on IrishCentral - well worth a read (but can't post link because of my novice status)

I also note that Tubridy is the second most listened to radio show in Ireland. There are clearly a number of governance and competence issues to be addressed in RTE - it would be nice if these could be taken care of in a calm and objective manner without the "outrage" that people seem to deem essential for clicks / airtime in the modern age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Agreed. If you hire an agent or accountant or other professional you do expect them to do their job looking after your interests while you do yours. If however they, in the course of their work, subject you to being on the hook for fraudulent activity or otherwise do something to harm your professional and/or personal reputation, then you have recourse but standing side by side with that person at a hearing isn’t really the first course of action you’d think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Gusser09

This.

This shite that he was spewing and hammering us with needs to keep being highlighted. All the while he was accepting underhanded assurance and payments regarding his salary. He stuck the two fingers us at us for years and he has been called out for it now and exposed.

As I've said multiple times before. I have no huge issue with the fact that someone was getting extra money, getting what they could get. The reason my bollix is sickened is because throughout Covid the utter two faced miserable hypocrite pummeled us all with this "together" bs. He ran down people who wouldn't get vaccinated.

He expected people to survive on 300 poxy euro a week and frowned on them for maybe doing a nixer and not social distancing. All the while he was willing to negate his salary cut by topping up his salary via public funds.

This is what he will perish on. His stick to beat us with was always his humanity and man of the people act. He portrayed himself as one of us. One of the masses who were suffering greatly. Again all the while he had his hands in our pockets.

His reflections yesterday that he was burnt out after covid and that's why he stepped away from the late late is another kick in the face for us. As if we are supposed to believe that it's not related to being caught in cahoots with RTE and NKM. It's also a kick in the face for the thousands of frontline workers and people who lost so much during the pandemic.

This guy, while we were all taking the pain was laughing behind our backs sticking the knife in. He can't be let back from this. This video is the main reason i think he is finished. He can't ever lecture from the parapet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

His business manager and “good friend” didn’t even prepare him for the bombshell that RTÉ dropped on June 26th even though said business manager had known about it for over a month.

Firstly, isn’t this what RT was paying NK to do for him? Protect his image?

Secondly, what sort of “good friend” would throw you into the lions den without at least a few pep talks beforehand?

Im not buying the sh1te RT was spewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Hah ha. Opened an account to post this. Pathetically transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I would generally be neutral enough about Tubridy, found him fairly likeable.

But his performance yesterday was awful, I thought. Partly because it was so clearly a performance, talking about his relationship with the children of Ireland, the money not affecting his soul, ffs.

He tried to talk down to the elected representatives at times. And neither himself nor Noel Kelly would accept that there was anything wrong with putting information that was known to be untrue on invoices. Kelly kept saying RTE told him to do it, as if that absolved him of responsibility.

Look we'll have none of these common sense posts round here thank you very much! I'm outraged !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hello Noel. Great performance yesterday by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Once in a generation golden radio talent.

I find it really upsetting that the most untalented people now fill their slots and are getting paid enormous sums of money for being remarkably mediocre.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement