Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

Well that's just a whole heap of untruths I smell an alternative agenda 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

This a thousand times. its the biggest problem going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Exactly!

You can put the best beef genetics into an AI straw, but if its going into a 450kg JEX.... it won't matter.

DBI is unfortunately, like you say, just lip-service. Cow-type is by far in a way the biggest factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Surely genotyping will be a major help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

"Coincidences are planned"...?

A reminder a report on the just transition is completed on agriculture and land use in Ireland and is about to be made public.

The list of people involved in this is in a tweet below.

Nothing at all authoritarian or creepy about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

You're at risk of using the exceptions to prove the rule... Reality on a lot of farms is that's not the case but it could be. Just isn't very likely to happen as most don't care irrespective of farming sector

You still have to show blanket comments on an entire sector are false. If I'm a thorn in someone's side and argument. Then I'm a good thorn.

It's the way all sectors should be going.

100% recognise I've large gaps to make it perfect. But I know what'll do it or help at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The thing to remember is that a farm like yours is disregarded as not representative when policy decisions are made and will be unless it is similar to the average dairy farm.

A farm like Moore park at the other end of the scale which has so much wrong with it, is more likely to be the one chosen as representative of everyone.

I've entered into the catchment program this year.

Last year I approached a teagasc advisor about all things foliar and sprayer biology related.

Yesterday at an event he approached me to know about the foliar and was delighted I was in the program. He said his knowledge is non existent and needs to learn.

It's changing big time.

*I know he accessed my latest grass wedge on pasturebase so knows I'm not completely full of it. I've a student from them doing the grass measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Looking back at the coverage yesterday, we can thank Ryan and Noel immensely. They stole the media lime light in a massive way and completely took all the heat away from the the farm orgs and the industry. The issue now seems to be in the ether of the ag industry.

The ball is now in the court firmly of the dairy and beef industry aswell as DAFM to work on a plan to deal with the calf issue. Time to act quick now and get on the front foot. We have dodged the media bullet. Solutions that can work on farms, not just policy. Every dairy farm has to up its game on calf quality, but some more than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

not everyone needs to up their game. we are being tainted by the few. most of my neighbours are using sexed and then ai beef with Angus or hereford bulls to mop up. the motivation behind rte are their vegan and green influences.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The last calf of the season was born here about 6 weeks ago. A nice whitehead bull. His front legs are wonky. Perfectly healthy otherwise. Vet was out to something yesterday and had a look at him. She said do you know most farmers would have had that calf shot weeks ago. I was saying it's Perfectly healthy otherwise, why shoot it. I'm giving him a chance, it's the way I was brought up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Factory kill sheets across the country over the past 10 years would say different. There has been a massive drop in weight and grading. Even accommodating the drop in sucklers the drop has been greater than this.

Its purely down to a reduction in dairy cow weight and poor choice of beef bulls, simples. It's accros the whole industry. Look at the reduction of the beef sub index value within the EBI over the past 10 years, it has fallen greatly. This is not down to a small cohort of dairy farmers, this is the direction that over 90% have taken under the guidance of Teagasc and ICBF.

I'm not expecting dairy farmers to put their cows in calf to a load of Blues, but what I, like a lot of other calf to beef farmers would like to see is

1.A touch more weight and confirmation on cows. Even 20kg LW would be a massive help. Better confirmation ( pelvic width) leads to easier calving and this cows going back in calf quicker

2. Careful selection of Beef straws and stock bull. They have to show a minimum of +10kg Carcase weight.There are a lot to stock mop up bulls showing in the negative territory out there.

Putting those 2 together leads to and animal that has the potential to carry 20kg more carcase weight. And in today's beef price that is approx an extra €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Nonsense, it will matter. Smashing beef calves are possible from smaller cows with the right beef bull. Calves off big whitey Holstein dams are hard to finish without a pile of meal!

The obsession with 'large framed cows' has ruined many dairy and suckler farms. Bigger is better is a myth born around the show ring. Switching to smaller framed cows has saved many farms from going broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Jack98

You can have what you’d call Irish freisans too that are you’re middle of the road Friesan not overly holestein and plenty power to them that will deliver a decent calf and solids without being pumped with feed and being minded like babies.

Crossbred cows will always deliver smaller calves you can’t deny that, they may turn into nice calves but you will have to do them very well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I've a few 16-month heifers that are Belgian Blue, SIM, and Speckled Park crosses. Out of JEx and FRx cows according to their cards. They look nice but they're smaller than their Angus and whitehead comrades.

Given the suggestion from @Finty Lemon that smaller cows are needed, maybe these first-cross heifers would make good suckler cows. But I wouldn't fancy trying to tell a suckler farmer that 😀

As a calf buyer, I'd be slow to buy anything again out of a cross-bred cow - especially heifer calves.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

1/4 of our cows would be crossbred, we keep every calf every year. It is easy to pick out the calves out of the crossbred cows they are just that bit more slight but hardy out.

They only tend to even out with the rest after their first winter once they hit grass again. You’ll never get the value of them as calves.

Id agree, they are no picture as calves but they even out over time and and finish easy, IF (a big IF I know!) the bull used is a good one for carcass traits.

A calf from an XBred cow and a high beefmerit bull is the best value out there (Aubracs are a great cross). Better than paying €400 plus for a big soft Blue or Hereford stock bull sired calf out of a narrow Holstein who will take 3 years to finish.

The big issue is regardless if you put an aubrac or something similar is a jex or frx cow they will still come out black. As the vast majority of farmers won’t be holding onto calves these calves still at a month old when basically weaned will still make pittance once the board says Dam is frx or jex.

Its hard to know what the answer to this whole problem will be but more poor quality beef animals and increased number of heifers diluting the value of heifers will all be negative for Irish farming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

The much vaunted MACC curve has been "revised".

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/teagasc-unveils-roadmacc-to-reducing-emissions-774332

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Could also be said the introduction of jex and kiwi genetics had done huge damage to our traditional beef breeds in that the offspring from these genetics for most part are of poor quality

hardly as simple as saying the switch to smaller framed cows has stopped farms going broke …methods ,feeding and management could of played bigger role

we really need to listen to the farmers rearing cattle ,feeding and buying these dairy bred calves as to what they want ….rather than just expecting them to take what we give them

I agree 100% that dairy farmers should give farmers buying calves a better product- I see that even more since I've started dabbling in buying them. But that product can be much improved by using the right AI beef bulls on the herd, Fr or crossbreed alike.

A lot of crossbreed cows are still 530kg plus and will throw a good beef calf. It suits me that most buyers shy away from these calves, makes them super value to buy. Blues and black whiteheads are the worst value out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I remember dad got reamed by factory with a beast he brought in. Massive row with them and then there was an adjustment payment made.

Ever since we go to the mart. It's too late to argue when it is on the hook.

@SmallgirlBigcity - what was your take on the hauliers? Seems that haulage industry is not getting any flak but the farmers are getting it from all directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

You played right into the factory’s hands so and done exactly what they wanted you to do. They’ve probably bought 90%+ of your factory fit stock since that day at €100 per head less than they’d have had to give you in the factory.

Was listening to the dairy edge pod cast and was interested in hearing about the trials their doing in moorepark where you could leave 4 evening milking the second half of the year and potentially not have any reduction or negatives from doing so. They’re in their second year of studies, would be some help and free up time to get away.

I was at Pat Aherne's open event this evening.

Pat is practicing foliar feeding, using zeolite and using homeopathy on his dairy herd. Multispecies swards and whole crop silage.

Never mentioned it.

Doesn't seem to be using it anymore?

Big macra crowd in Cork there at the open evening. He's gone full into dissolving urea with carbon sources, then the multispecies, the zeolite used on farm and a bit of wholecrop undersown with a multispecies sward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Jasus Phil if your going to throw shade at Ray and Andrew you have to acknowledge your local dairy empire builder as the model of dirty dairy. Sher isn’t the joke locally the **** tanker stops long enough in winter to just about ate the Christmas dinner.

Advertisement