Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Look over there at themuns', isn't going to cut it downcow.

I am trying to imagine 'working class kids' out and about 'gathering up' 17/18,000 pallets that are exactly the same, while their boss is scooting around in a McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So much fake news in this I don’t know where to start. Kilcooley estate has a number of fires and all but one of them had no flags, so let’s stop this silly stuff suggesting drunk lads at midnight are aware enough to dodge the cameras with flags.

and the bonfire builders are now being supplied with sports cars. You are reading too many papers. And of course, how dare working class people by a second hand sports car. Maybe Renault were sponsoring the fire.

The tradition always was that a union flag was on top of the bonfires until it was time to light it and then it was swapped with this flag - hardly a great surprise from communities under attack. Chill out. To suggest it is changed late to avoid the cameras is ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drifter100

I`m looking forward to spending an hour this evening tuned to BBC 1 NI when they do their roundup of all the Orange Parades. It is always footage of earlier in the day and it makes genuinely interesting viewing as the report makes its way around the province

And now francie you are flipping to the 200 foot fire built by a team of engineers, to try a get your story to stick. Look again at black paddy. What is happening at that fire? The kids have their own fire that they are collecting for and have their den and all - just as with tradition. So wise up flipping about. I didn’t hear anyone claim that kids sourced the pallets and built the 200 footer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yet another year and yet more disappointing footage coming out of the North. This type of carry on needs to be called out for what it is and also needs to be dealt with. The war is over. Republicans have handed over their guns and are moving on. Yet we still have a minority of loyalists wanting to reignite the war. They seem totally blind to the inevitable reunification.

It was you who was trying to sanitise by claiming this 'is just working class kids gathering wood' for benign reasons. This is your stock answer to any criticism..to indulge your peculiar victimhood. It doesn't wash.

The questions being asked about regulation are entirely valid and will only get louder when you see these appalling incidents.

You guys need to chill out. The number of bonfires with flags etc are massively decreasing - it would be easier to take you seriously if you could just admit that.

as I said earlier, this is done the world over, but here’s an interesting wee article in todays paper about Paisley and Boris getting burned on a fire in England. I have absolutely no problem with that. If they want to burn Putin in a borat bikini or Michelle and Gerry in IRA berets then I think it’s hardly a great crime. Maybe it’s something not done culturally in you country and you are shocked by it - and I guess I understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Thanks for confirming they add a tricolour just before it's lit. Who is claiming photos are banned?

I was claiming the general. You are picking out the exceptional

• Advertisement

I did say traditionally. In this new pc world that tradition is massively decreasing

You are trying to sanitise. Let's call a spade a spade.

When Donnelly called for regulation he made sure to include regulation of republican bonfires in August too.

He was not shirking or trying to deflect from them. Proper, responsible leadership. Meanwhile Gregory was playing the victimhood card while rejecting any attempt to regulate. Same old story we get about regulation of parades.

Sorry don’t know why paisley ending up on an English bonfire for proselytising folk - and we’ll he deserved it.

Now you are contradicting yourself. You told us a few mins ago that Gregory was on your page. He must have said something in the last few minutes to get your goat up?

that’s the worst form of sectarianism from Chris - trying to camouflage it. That would be like me calling for banning people walking up mountains in their bare feet or gathering to hold religious services in graveyards. There are the occasional prod does it so I’m not being sectarian

I thought this was an interesting wee tweet to help you guys from a different culture understand why most unionists are not too excited about the odd flag burnt.

I said not even Gregory was trying to minimise the extent of this activity, like you are.

What Gregory went on to do was to reject the notion of regulation for ALL bonfire activity because Unionists might feel victimised. Unionists who want the hate and bile and downright dangerous and irresponsible behaviour to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

His effigy was burned on the Lewes bonfire in 1982 because he had turned up at the Lewes bonfire in 1981 to hand out anti-Catholic pamphlets. His timing was unfortunate since the Lewes Bonfire Council was actively trying to distance the festival from its own long tradition of explicit anti-Catholic bigotry. What better way to demonstrate this by burning an effigy of an explicit anti-Catholic bigot? So Paisley kind of put himself in the frame for that. The Lewes bonfire organisers have for a couple of decades now attempted to move away from anti-Catholic symbolism and instead to burn effigies of those who are unpopular for contemporary reasons.

(Which suggests a certain course of action that might be considered by bonfire organisers in NI who wish to distance themselves from the more unfortunate aspects of their own tradition. If they are steamed up about the NI Protocol and the damage it does to NI's place in the Union perhaps they could burn Boris Johnson, David Frost, Ben Habib and Kate Hoey in effigy?)

The confusion between 'tradition' and 'culture' should be highlighted here.

Lewes were able to end a 'tradition' but maintain the culture.

Unionism/Loyalism cannot end the tradition of anti Irish/Catholic hate.

We get rid of 'traditions' all the time that are no longer acceptable without diminishing our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The lady doth protest too much.

"Burning effigies is part of many rituals to mark the change of the seasons, performed all over Europe in locally distinct traditions."

"Hanging or burning the effigy of a political enemy to ridicule and dishonour them is a very old and very widespread practice. It is reported that in 1328, the troops of Holy Roman Emperor Louis IV, on their campaign in Italy to unseat Pope John XXII, burned a straw puppet of the pope."

I suppose some of you will want to ban Guy Fawkes Night in the UK as well.

Now we have somebody who votes for the Green Party defending this activity.

The rejection of simple regulation even on environmental grounds shows you how deeply entrenched the hate/supremacy is.

Not yet ready to be a part of a normal democratic society.

• Advertisement

Can’t disagree with much there. That’s the point I was making which you fire back at me “Paisley kind of put himself in the frame for that.” Do you not think that when Michelle says there was no alternative to murdering those 11 men that that lodge is remembering that ‘she kinda puts herself in the frame’

i am interested that you think it’s somehow more acceptable to burn Kate Hoey effigy that MoN effigy. Maybe you want to think about that one. You seem to have made idea what sf symbolise to the unionist community

Francie you really do need to stop this environmental line. Everyone can see right through it. On the scale of environmental issues in Ireland this one rates very very low. And I remind you again that these fires are in disadvantaged working class communities. I think you should take a placard and stand outside the door of the richest party in Ireland and ask them to stop using first class flights.

Again, all we get is 'look over there'.

Not remotely acceptable.

So is your rationale here that the conflict/war is still happening? That MoN or ordinary Taigs (KAT) should be targeted?

You are fully defending this behaviour now.

Time to move on mate. Plenty of Irish people killed by the occupation too. It's what happens in a war unfortunately.

It should be noted at this point that properly regulated parades are passing off right now and nobody has an issue with them.

The issues are non regulated parades where they are not wanted and hate displays at unregulated and toxic bonfires..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You up for banning Halloween as well? Your faux concern for the environment doesn't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Were you not whinging about people living in the past for making references to partition happening a hundred years ago and the GFA happening 25 years ago?

And now you're landing in with a 700 year old event to support something happening today?!

I'd differentiate quite heavily between burning the effigy of someone who is alive right now and someone who died over 400 years ago. Entirely facetious of you to compare the two, but unsurprising that once more the self-professed moderate lands down on the same side as the most hardline of Loyalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Most of them use stolen pallets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement