Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor micro inverters

Options
  • 26-06-2023 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Recently got solar pv system. I have 6 panels on string inverter and two panels on micros. I can monitor those on the string inverter through an app but I haven't been provided a way to monitor the panels on micros.

I can see the aggregate production so I can do the maths too find out how much they make, I'd just like to have it all on an app if possible!

Is this normal, or should I be able to and is there anything I could do retroactively to enable monitoring of the panel's on micros?

Any help much appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

What's the make/model of the micro-inverters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 morrisja

They are enphase IQ7!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

@bullit_dodger Can you explain how this works please?

Is it plug and play or does it need more equipment?

Can it also identify what equipment exactly is connected to the system?

I Have some panels on my roof. Fairly sure they are Enphase with micro inverters. Not 100% what's going on with them. Looks like at least 1 isn't working properly. If this could help identify and troubleshoot it would be great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I don't have Enphase micro-inverters, but I do have Hoymiles ones and they operate the same way as far as I know.

Each Micro-inverter can be "paired" with the basestation and it's the basestation which connects to your wifi and uploads the telemetry from each micro-inverter to the cloud. You can then read the details in the app on your phone/tablet.

Again for that money.....probably not worth it. You could buy 2 new panels for less!

can you update software on the panels from such a device (or reset the inverters etc)?

possibly cheaper to buy one and fix a panel this way than pay for somebody to come out onto the roof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Can I ask why you think one isn't working correctly? Maybe it's all working normally. Apologies if you explained this earlier in thread.

They don't produce the max output bar once in a blue moon. As in 1kW of panels would only produce 1kW during midday on a blue sky day. And even then, heat reduces output. So a hot day would be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭idc

Panels don't run software. likewise not sure what you mean about fixing a panel? If a panel is broken/damaged the only fix is to replace it!

sorry -i'm dragging this a little off topic.

As far as I am aware i have 5*275w panels (~1.4). I have a Zappi which monitors the output. even on the sunniest of days i've never seen the output go above 0.9Kw. 4 panels working would be 1.1kw max. So as i mentioned, i suspect one panel is not doing anything.

All the houses in the estate I live in had issues with the solar panels installed. When I had the Zappi originally installed there was 0 output from the panels. Eventually after all the neighbours contacting the builder they contacted the installer who sent out people to fix the panels. The installer advised it was an issue with the software running on the microinverters and came into everybody's house to update the software. Now I don't know if thats BS or not, but after they came in solar panels started working for most people. Nobody got up on any roofs to fix panels, so I presumed they were telling the truth.

So my (maybe misguided) hope was that if i got one of these enphase communication devices I could connect to the panels and try to fix it myself. Maybe even be able to figure out the specs and complete the NC6 form and submit it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Well explained. Could you contact the builder again and let him know there is an issue and it appears that one panel is not working. As in play the fool, let them sort it out.

Any way to verify the size of the panels? Might not be 275w. Our installer put smaller ones on roof versus what they quoted.

BTW output wise on my East setup I really only get 80% of the max output of the panels. Will get the occasional spike that is higher. But on a blue sky day, 80% (give or take) is my output.

If your panels are South they should get higher % output.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 morrisja

For the 6x400w panels I have fully monitored (East facing) my monitoring suggests I'm getting 2.4kw at peak blue sky days, I.e. 100% of their potential.

My understanding of the orientation is it impacts aggregate average production rather than peak output. I.e. where sun is strong and hitting panels at optimum angle you'd still get max output it's just East and West panels don't spend as much time with optimal angle during the day so are overall less effective than south panels?

I may have it wrong though, just my observations seem to suggest that 6x400 are capable of making it to 2.4kw.

• Advertisement

yes a few of us have tried the builder, but they are ignoring us again unfortunately.

Panels are south facing. Also wouldn't be surprised if panels are not 275w.

Really i want to maximise what i have. I've already paid for it. Don't really want to be having to pay a lot of money to get it 'fixed'. Also would like to be able to claim FIT for excess generated.

i've had stupid quotes off installers to take a look (ie not interested quotes), so the cost/benefit is a struggle unless i can do it cheaply myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You could use a shelly https://www.shelly.cloud/en-ie/products/product-overview/shelly-em-120a/shelly-em-50a

Or I wonder if you micro inverters were backfed to a socket would a simple smart plug be able to monitor the power?

How would a Shelly work?

Or how would your idea of the smart plug work either? I'm not sure I understand that ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

Something to factor in is that the Zappi most likely measures at the meter. So what you see at the Zappi will be the PV power minus your baseload. Baseload varies per house and also varies throughout the day, it's basically all the stuff in your house that continuously consumes a little bit, think of the fridge and some lights, but also alarm system, phone chargers, TV, Sky box, laptop charger, router etc. Mine is approx 250W. If you want to measure your baseload, kill all electronics in the house using the circuit breakers but leave the Zappi powered so you can see what you're importing from the grid if you don't use anything. Leave it for 10 minutes or so to get a good average.

For your calculation that would make 5 x 275W = 1375W maximum. Take away 200W from that for a very reasonable baseload and that would give you approx 1175W at the Zappi. There are possibly some losses in the system in inverting your DC from the panels to AC at the inverters. You're not too far off. If you have a higher baseload it could be bang on.

Do you have any specs of the inverters?

+1 for the recommendation (see @Big Lar above) of a simple smart plug (or electricity meter plug) if the microverters use a standard plug.

You can YouTube the shelly CT clamp.

The smart plugs monitor the usage coming out from them but what some people do with micro inverters is put a 3 pin plug on the output and then plug that into an existing socket, I was thinking that as most smart plugs have power monitoring then perhaps would it read power usage going back to the grid as a negative value. It was just a thought, may or may not work but they are cheap and maybe worth a try.

See here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-SP9-Monitoring-Control-Required/dp/B09TW3T914

Edit for clarification:

So micro inverter to three pin plug to smart plug to socket.

ok thanks for that.

problem is the micro inverter is up on the roof. I won't be able to plug in anything into it! 🙄

I don't have the specs, thats part of the problem. Trying to find that out.

I understand on the base load. I've checked a few times with pretty much everything off to get the reading of ~900w Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Advertisement