Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was making the same point here last week, 50m for him is crazy if true. He's only 20 and is no where near ready to step into Fab's shoes. He is also only a few months older and made just 11 more first team appearances that Bajcetic. I don't see him as been any upgrade on what we already have in Bajcetic... In my opinion, we either write Fab off and spend the 50m looking for a more experience replacement or we give Fab another year and we trust what we have in Bajcetic to cover for him, then use that money elsewhere, a new young centre half would be my preference. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

But is Bajcetic a no 6. When he played there last season he struggled,albeit in a misfunctioning midfield. He played much better when he was in the no 8 role.

On Lavia,while 50 million is massive money to spend on someone so young what if he turns into a Caicedo and be worth 80-90 million next season? Will we regret not going for him. It's hard to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

The one thing that's clear is fab is on the down slope of his career so we need a replacement.

I'm not sure if Baj is the answer for 6 so if it were up to me I'd pick Lavia up for 50mil as fabs replacement and then Baj as a backup 8. Either way we'd have two excellent young players to build with. Add in Jones and Elliot and the squad is moving nicely.

Only issue left then is the defence 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Is Lavia really that good, I haven't really seen him play much, but, surely 50 million is way too many for a guy that isn't really proven? He was at City, if they felt he was going to be a top notch player, surely they would have held onto him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

So it’s probably a shrewd move on behalf of the club and player if it happens, but I think it would be a mistake to let Hendo go this season. With Milner already gone, there really aren’t that many leaders in the squad. I’d even have Robbo as my choice of captain over VVD or Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Where are you seeing anything reliable about Hendo leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Nothing concrete, just plenty of Twitter talk, I just hope it’s not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's got huge potential but that's all it is right now, Liverpool and others are right to balk at that fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Think Bajcetic is more of a natural No.8 than a No.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

City have a buyback option on Lavia for 40 million next summer - so I wonder if Southampton have some insight that City intend to activate that, so are just seeing if they can get a bit extra this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Southampton's £50M valuation of Lavia is equivalent to gold fever. Nobody is willing to pay that kind of fee for a player with a season's experience in the Premier League. He's a talented player with great potential but that's it. Southampton think they are on to a great thing acquiring young players from Man City with ridiculous buy back clauses, but those clauses are only worth something if Man City are willing to pay the fee.

He isn't going to be valued at £40M after playing a season in the Championship unless he drags the team back to the Premier League and he's not that type of player. He's a water carrier that allows the attacking players to run amok. Man City have enough players for that role so it's highly unlikely that they will be returning with an offer for Lavia anytime soon.

Man City are moving young players on for serious fees while their 'potential' stock is high. If they keep them, then their potential value will diminish because they are not going to get sufficient minutes in the first team. In reality Southampton are digging them out of a potential hole of having followed Chelsea's model for the club's academy. Man City can't stockpile young players because once they reach the age of 21 there is a restriction on the number than can be loaned out in a season. Phil Foden is the only product of the academy to make it at the first team level. They have big hopes for Rico Lewis to follow his path from the academy to the first team, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Cole Palmer is 21 and got some minutes last season, but nothing that would suggest that he has a future in the team. He played 358 minutes in the Premier League (numbers from Transfermarkt), more than half of those minutes were after the league title was decided and Guardiola was resting his players. In contrast, Curtis Jones, his midfield partner in the England U21 team played 1,039 minutes in the league.

If Southampton refuse to allow players to move on when they are ready to play at a higher level, then they may find that Man City's other young gems may not be excited at the prospect of joining the club in the future. Southampton paid £10.5M for Lavia a year ago and it may take the management some time to accept that Man City are not returning with a £40M cheque so he's only worth the price that other clubs are willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Just watched the latest inside Training. Very pleased (and surprised) to see Szobo do so well in the bleeb test. He was first in his group and looks like he came 2nd place overall, just behind Salah.

Looks like Szobo def has the legs for midfield.

So Salah wins the lactate test this year,no surprise there

Hope it happens, be a nice move for him. He deserves that. And with Farke in charge I think they’ll do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

£8.5m would be a nice fee to receive for him too, essentially an unwanted player but that will never be said.

Hope he can get a nice career going there for himself. He needs to be playing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

As a grown man it doesn't make much sense and I can't really explain it but, above all the signings (confirmed and rumoured) and general hype leading into 23/24, nothing has given me more optimism for the season ahead than Trent cutting his hair

Chris Bascombe is saying that Henderson is being tempted by Saudi.

I'm not sure whether to believe it or not. A few years ago when Henderson wanted his new contract, he used interest from other clubs to speed up his contract negotiations. As players do. I wonder is there some sort of game being played here, or is it genuine interest?

• Advertisement

I'd be sick to see lose Hendo he has so much to offer still and our captain.

He is here 12 years though so no one will begrudge him going for a final payday.

He has another two years to run on his contract, I don't think the club will be in any rush to extend it considering he'll be 35 then. The club is unlikely to stand in his way if he chooses to leave next summer or perhaps in January depending on the circumstances the team finds itself in, but I doubt it would be sanctioned now.

He's there 12 years I couldn't see even Klopp standing in his way if he wanted to go.

If there is some truth in him leaving, then signing another natural defensively minded midfielder is very important. a HG one would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What a day to hit 1690 pages 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Henderson is Milner 2.0, so into his fittness, he'll be around until he's 38 somewhere. He only turned 33 days ago, he has two seasons at least left with us.

• Advertisement

I don't think Klopp would allow him to leave this summer especially when he has lost the influence of Milner.

The Saudi League would be a retirement home and he hasn't declined that much to seriously consider it an option unless he's desperately short of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Trying to get into LFCgo and it tells me my email is already registered. It is since 2010 but I can't remember the password. Used account.liverpool.com to reset but no reset email coming. Anyone else have account password reset issues ? Not in spam etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hopefully Stevie puts in a reasonable offer for Jordan. £100M would just about be acceptable, all up front.

Dom King is saying Henderson has been offered 700k a week to go to Saudi.

But what are they offering the club to buy him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Only sell if someone is in the wings to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Ornstein now the first mainstream reporter that I've seen so far to report about Henderson heading off to link up with Gerrard in Saudi

EDIT: Just seen the Dom King one there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like Hendo could be off. I guess even getting his wages off the books and whatever transfer fee the club will receive will clear the way for someone like Lavia or maybe somebody else.

Hendo not the player he was obviously but still a big leadership figure at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

May have preferred Fabinho to leave before Henderson as he is more versatile and I think Fab's decline has been more pronounced. However can't complain if we get a decent fee for someone of his age if we reinvest it in the team. If Henderson leaves though, I would prefer a more mature player than Lavia as his replacement. I think we would need a first team replacement and not a project player. I am not sure who that is though.

Oof, whatever about losing his playing abilities (which are still significant when he's rested), he'd be a massive loss as a leader, and as someone the players can go to about things. The ultimate pro.

Would need to be a massive offer, like 60m+ for me to feel reasonably decent about him leaving. If its just some 30 or 40m offer I'd prefer to keep him.

Crazy wages being offered to him though - like, really, genuinely insane - so I can understand if he wanted to push for it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think it would make a turnaround season less likely. Losing a leader like that (and Milner) and the quality starts he still provides is a set back.

But look we only had two years left probably and the money being talked about is in the region of a 70 - 100m payday tax free before he retires. This is the consolidation of generational wealth. Best of luck to him if he takes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I do not want to see him leave, especially now that Milner is gone. Those two set the standards expected in the dressing room. He may not start many games this season but he'll still feature in most games especially later on to bring experience to the midfield.

If we'd to lose one I'd rather Thiago go but I feel he has plenty to offer as well if we can manage his game time.

Edit: fake Joyce on Twitter.

Joyce is saying it now as well so that's all the big Liverpool journos bar Pearce. Must have been a briefing this evening.

The money is mental but Henderson is already a wealthy man (and I doubt he's squandered any of his money) so he doesn't need it. Being such a vocal speaker for inclusion in the game I don't know how you can move to Saudi where being gay is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hendo's drive in getting the best out of the team was instrumental in our success over the last 7 years.

I'd be gutted if he left, genuinely gutted.

But for 700k a week i'd understand.

If they can pay him 700K per week then the transfer fee needs to be 40m+.

• Advertisement

That' salary is about 4 times his worth. The fee should be 4 times higher too to entertain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jack747

Liverpool should tell Stevie and whatever that club is called to go and do one.

He’s under contract so under no obligation to sell. It’s a no brainer in my opinion , we can’t afford to lose another vocal figure like him. If they are worried about cutting out wages , show Thiago the door. He’s turning into Keita 2.0.

If he actually goes , I think it’s a seismic moment for football. Liverpool losing club captain to an absolute joke of a league.

A seismic moment for football is a bit extreme. Fair enough he is captain of the club but he is well past his best. If Liverpool are serious about competing again then Henderson should only be a bit part player,coming on late in games to see them out. Is he happy with that?

If we got decent money for him and it was used to bring in another midfielder then long term it is the best thing to do. He has 2 years left on his contract so we don't want another player running down his contract and leaving for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't see Hendo getting ten minutes here or there.

We'll have 50+ games next season. He'll be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jack747

I can’t think of a more seismic move (perhaps if Bernardo silva went). I think if we are to be successful this year, Henderson would be an integral part of the team.

He’s obviously not going to play all games but you can bet your bottom dollar that he’ll be picked and will more than likely play well against the big teams. I think he was absolutely shafted last season with his game time as he played too many games , he had to pick up the flack from the constant no shows from Thiago and Keita. I think stripping Liverpool of their club captain is seismic. It’s a year too early for him to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I was a little sad to see Milner leaving but I fully understood it at the same time, and I wish him well at Brighton.

Losing Henderson in the same window, though, would be nothing short of a disaster for the club and if Stevie really is the one driving it, then he’s clearly got no love left for Liverpool anymore.

It’s been said many times over the past few years that Hendo would only be truly appreciated once he left the club and we could see exactly how pivotal he has been to our success. A very good player on the pitch, but more importantly the best leader the club has seen since the 80s and that’s absolutely no exaggeration.

If Milner hadn’t left, I’d feel slightly better about all of this, but there’s going to be a huge void of leadership in the squad if we lose our captain and I can’t name one player who looks like they have what it takes to fill his boots.

Really, really hope this news just goes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Two steps forward, one step back.

Not that it matters but I have been critical of Henderson in the past, I do think he is a massive influence in the club and sets a standard that others look to. He is a leader and someone who knows what is expected of him playing for Liverpool.

With two new midfielders coming in, I think it's a great loss as he would have had a good influence on them and would have been a good person to chat to.

Henderson is an absolute leader on the pitch. Probably the most vocal out on the pitch too.

Losing him and Miller in the same window would be seriously disappointing.

Plus it's the one area we are trying to fill out. Three midfielders already left, and two in.

I hope theres a decent replacement lined up. I was hoping for another midfielder before these Saudi links for Henderson anyway tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

If Henderson has decided it’s time to move on to something new, we should not begrudge him that after all he has given Liverpool over the last 10+ years. And if he is to leave, this in my opinion is the best move for the club. Considering these Saudi clubs seem to have bottomless pits of money, its not crazy to think Gerrard will put in an over inflated bid for Jordan. Stevie managing in Saudi could end up being the best thing to happen to Liverpool in the last few years. The club are rebuilding the squad. FSG aren’t going to reach into their own pockets to provide extra funds. But if Gerrard were to take a few more players for well above their actual market value, it could be help significantly with funding the rebuild.

• Advertisement

Henderson leaving would be awful for the club.

Advertisement