Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Shouldn't they be asking someone from Renault to appear? See if they could share some of their correspondences.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That could ask, but not in a million years would (or should!) Renault agree to go within an asses roar of any committee hearing.

I dont know the page I'm afraid but its in the afternoon session about half through. the subject came up 2 or 3 times.

RT said he didn't want money for nothing. RT said he would return it possibly. By that he meant the 6 roadshows could still be performed.

Asked how he would return it and to whom he said it would be to the barter account and then said RTE I think.

To me it came across that they had not practiced or anticipated this question which is odd as its so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

He said he would pay it back if the gigs didn’t happen. He’d been paid upfront for 2 years worth

So, he’s still expecting to do 6 more appearances for Renault even though Renault no longer wanted the freebie they were getting. That’s a question in itself - why did Renault turn down these all expenses paid free gigs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Ms O Keeffee and Doherty will not be attending tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It wasn't just paid up front - RT/NK went looking for it (with dodgy invoices), two years in a row, during Covid, when nothing was happening anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

Kelly will arrange 6 events to ensure Tubridy doesn’t pay the money back. Events will be held in an old phone box and will consist of Tubridy speaking for an hour about the horn he got each time he ran a misery slot on the LLS

• Registered Users Posts: 30,139 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can PAC 'contact' Renault for input? In the form of written questions... Renault don't have to reply but could reply with letter signed off by legal, etc etc

Probably a long shot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

This might sound conspirational, but I honestly think they are a select few like Tubs in on it at this stage and are just playing out a premediated script knowing full well that long term they will all be taken care of financially, it's just far too convenient now

New Director for RTE has now come in Kevin Bakhurst in the midst of this madness, does the reorganisation the government wanted done years ago, TV licence will go out, broader media licence brought in, salaries are gonna be capped/come way down now in RTE thanks to this scrutiny, Kevin's job will be to run it like a private company.

Tubs and co are made short term scapegoats to get the rejig done onto a new wider capturing media licence and overpaid RTE staff are now disliked by the public, long term the scapegoats get jobs back/get paid off, others not in on it are gonna be screwed big time going forward with regard salary and work conditions, the free ride is over. What we are seeing here is RTE being made to run like a private company instead of state run company and taking down the big dogs to do it is how it was done.

100% Tubs keeps his job in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

You are ranting and raving nothing Tubridy has done is legally wrong. I accept you don't like Tubridy and on a personal level I don't have much time for the guy but I don't go making up conspiracy theories about the guy.

Tubridy getting the payments guaranteed is not illegal it's his agent doing his job. Again it's RTE who stupidity agreed to it. Then again is easier to rant about a public figure than relatively unknown RTE staff.

I accept the moral argument about lying to other staff but that's not a crime and its unfortunately not altogether unusual in any organisation. Payroll is normally the most confidential information in any company for a reason and if a company was to publish all salaries of their employees it would cause problems about staff.

My point about the pension was pointing the complete and utter double standards. RT is not a god he is a normal person and is entitled to seek the best deal from his employer as possible, the same as every one else. As you can see it's very easy to take the arguments against Tubridy as use them against others on vastly lower salaries. People should be very careful what they wish for.

On the invoices is why did RTE pay out on them? I personally believe NT that it was RTE who asked for wrong description to be put on them. NK/any company/person can put anything they want on an invoice it doesn't mean it will get approved for payment. For 150k to be paid multiple people will have to have seen these invoices. 75k is not small change so you would hope at least 2 people would have to approved them(if not that's a red flag on its own). So these invoices were approved in RTE and person/people approving did not investigate the consultancy services provided/approved invoices they did not understand. These invoices should have been caught and rejected. It's the failure of basic financial controls which is frightening and something RTE have not being able to answer even to Grant Thornton.

NT and RT are not in charge of RTE finance team/reviewing supplier invoices. What ever the description on the invoices some how they were approved for payment and Rte have not being able to explain why.

A lot of people here are far far too emotional and are not looking at the facts of the situation.

Renault don't have to have anything to do with any of it, and would be well advised to stay a million miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yes indeed.

Problem. Reaction. Solution.

Even if this was not orchestrated the crisis will not go to waste. It will be maximised to bring about reform.

And yes I'm sorry to agree with you on your last point but the wheels are in motion to bring him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

That bit slipped my mind.

Q - Why did Renault not want to continue on with the cost neutral deal they had?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

RT - wow - he has such a HIGH opinion of himself...

I dunno if he's deluded or if he thinks that the public are stupid???!!

The way he goes on about "his love of the children" - its sooo sickening.. does he not realise that those kids that he loves sooo much - its their parent's who pay his wages (partly).. via the TV licence.. and ALLLLL the €€€ he has helped to raise for children's charities etc - who donated? Yes - the people who pay the TV licence also..

Yet.. he uses his agent to "get him the best deal"..

If he lovvvvvves the kids soo much - why would he be looking for an increase in TV licence???!!

He's a liar imo - but then again - I NEVER liked him - always felt he was soooo smug.... as my mother would say.. "too sweet to be pure"..

I hope his days at RTE are over...

OMG - how condescending was he to his colleagues.. he needs to be taken down another few pegs imo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,139 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rather telling, you can't actually point to what specifically in my posts was ranting and raving or any of these perjorative words you are flinging around like candy. They aren't meant to be be used as punctuation you know?

Apparently you consider this to be ranting \ raving \ emotional \ personal attack \ conspiracy theory on Tubridy. Your accusations are false, without merit or foundation. If you think this is a conspiracy theory, you simply haven't been paying attention the last couple of weeks. Your claims have no standing.

"Tubridy lied to his colleagues who did take a pay cut."

It has been pointed out you can do something 'wrong' even if legal. That legal and wrong \ right do not have the same meaning.

The agent didn't do his job very well or the agent and the client's reputation wouldn't be in the gutter right now.

If you can't see that, that's your problem. And comparisons to pensions are complete and utter whataboutery, and not worth engaging with on that basis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Moya Doherty the latest to duck out of the committee hearing tomorrow

True, they don’t,.

I wouldn’t advise staying a million miles away from it though.

If I were Renault I would be anxious for our side of the story to be heard, as their brand name is now associated with numerous “dodgy” deals (from Tubs roadshows to Morrissey’s car) because in the absence of any reply from Renault other actors will paint the story for them. They would be advised to take control of the narrative in some way at least.

I can assure you Renault HQ in France will be fuming over this. All brands at global level do “media monitoring” for mentions of their brand across all media. Renault Ireland have had lots of negative publicity recently, and are intrinsically linked to this scandal. They won’t be happy. That expression “there’s no such thing as bad publicity” is not true in situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well Renault's story is the missing link in the Tubridy payment chapter.

Surely Renault International (15% owned by the French government) wouldn't be impressed with Renault Ireland not being open in their commercial dealings.

Anyway, I think it's worth the committee's time (and credibility) to at least be shown to have requested info from them.

It was a private event in my private life and not relevant in any way to this thread or topic.

A Garda wouldn’t ask me that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There's little to no chance the NK didn't get wined and dined as he suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

None in ireland

especially when rte are spending millions with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I was surprised that NK never had a cup of tea at the national broadcaster.

Its bad form not to offer the man a cup of tea.

It was fairly sound of Mattie to join him and RT for a cup of tea at the interval yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement