Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 6) Glasson (22th July @11:10am)

Options
  • 07-07-2023 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭

(Previous outing link: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058299504/boards-golf-society-2023-round-5-lucan-30th-june-2-30pm/p1 )

Congratulations to Slave1 on a stunning win at Lucan with clever use of his short game strengths, and also a shout-out to VW1, who must be disappointed not to pick up the victory with an incredible second place score of 41pts! (It may be worth noting that Tigerwood1, who finished almost DFL, defies the statistical anomaly that having the number 1 follow your boards handle assures good performance in parkland! Lets see for this next one though?)

Our next destination is Glasson Golf Club! While seascapes dominated the earlier part of our 2023 season, we're now transitioning to a stretch of freshwater lakes and rivers for the summer close out. Lough Ree/Killenure is a personal favorite area of the Island for me, filled with many fond memories. I'm particularly excited about the par 3 17th, which plays right over a corner of the lake and is one of my favorite par 3s in the country. The course has recently undergone significant changes and should be nicely settled in for our visit.

There are rumors that some people may be staying in the local area to enjoy the lakeside scenery. I haven't booked a place for myself yet, but I might consider coming up the night before (feel free to post your plans on this thread)

This year's captain choose to compress the final three rounds into a reduced period of time. So the rounds will come at us with a little more pace, each having only three weeks turnaround in between rounds.

Clubnet is open for bookings now. The pricing for this round is €45. If you're not in you can't win.

Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can't comment on the newer holes (only played them once) but do remember they shorten the course, previous holes were sacrificed to extend hotel views and accommodate expansion.

This is a Christy O Connor course so expect huge greens and breaks

1. Par 4, better RHS of fairway, be close to pin as otherwise could be long first putt, do not go long or left around the green
    2. Par 5, stick to fairway, you may not see the green with your approach, better slightly right than left when coming into the green
    3. Par 3, long, horrible bunkers in front of green, nice view behind the green
    4. Par 4, uphill, dog leg right to left, better off left if you can manage, you will see the flag but not the green with your second, don't be short
    5. Par 3, hit the green, two putt and walk off
    6. Par 5, long hitters can just about take trees on left on, mortals will avoid and play short of bunker on RHS, if you have a long draw you are made, green will be visible once you reach your drive
    7. Par 4, uphill, never understood the low index on this one, just distance and a hugely tilted green from front to back
    8. Par 4, blind tee shot, measure distance to first "hill" on fairway and aim slightly right and past it, if you want to risk then aim left of "hill" and be long, peninsular green
    9. Boring Par 4 uphill, hit it straight and you'll be grand
    10. Par 5, very open but tightens for approach, long hitters should be on in two no bother, relatively small green (for this course)
    11. Par 3, all in front of you, always thought closer than it measures
    12. Par 4 dog left, right to left, safe is towards the marker straight, is a corner to take on but why bother, well protected and fast green
    13. Is past the hotel so short walk left of the building, shorten than it looks, incredibly fast green if putting downhill, do not be right of the green with your approach
    14. Now a par 4, long hitters heaven off a highly elevated tee
    15. 15 to 18 I forget the three new holes apart from the (already there) Par 3 across the water, is a huge hit if off the back whites, likely NTP but be happy if ball dry

Enjoy everyone!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I've a stag on that day... so I've booked the first line, can't wait to get back out! To be honest, if I started drinking at the same time as everyone else I'd be home and in bed by 10, so it's probably no harm if I'm late for it.

I hear it's a great course. I used to play a few in the Midlands regularly but always missed this one so I can't wait to try it. What sort of golf it will be... It will be grateful golf? How ever many shots I take, I'll be glad to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm raging, looks like I'll be missing it. Moving house on the Monday and Tuesday, at the open Wednesday to Friday so I don't think I'll have a pass for going off golfing for the day on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

@RoadRunner

There are rumors that some people may be staying in the local area to enjoy the lakeside scenery. I haven't booked a place for myself yet, but I might consider coming up the night before (feel free to post your plans on this thread)

We will be staying up for a few days, but I am not allowed tell ye where we are staying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Come on up to Athlone and I’ll show ye all the good pubs, I’ll even drive ye !!!

need all the help I can get for some jug points!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Meant to have round 2 of our club's Captains Prize that day. Part of me is hoping I tank out in Round 1 so i can justify not playing Round 2 and make the trip down to Glasson instead. I have family who live in the area and was always aware of the golf course (few of them used to be members) but never got the chance to play there when i was younger. So really hoping to get out for this one, especially after missing Lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

I am booked in first slot on this 1 as I’m flying out for holidays early the next morning! I also have our Captains prize on Friday but I’ve never qualified for the final playoff on the Saturday because it’s a strokeplay comp it’s normally set up really tough…….

Ive played Glasson twice now , on the old layout and the new layout last year. You need to update your gps again as I got caught last year with mine and didn’t have a rangefinder as back up ….

It really is a great course with great holes and scenery especially on the lower side.

can’t wait !!

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

I won't make this one I'm afraid. Heading to Hoylake for a few days. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Away for this one.

Enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

Arriving back from work in Liverpool at stupid o clock that day so unfortunately will miss it.

Enjoy

• Advertisement

Thanks for that post punk.

Hadn't thought of checking the GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Back at the grind this morning and just took a few minutes out to check in on all things golf related and have just booked myself in for this one. Might have to dash off early after the round.

Looking forward to it, was only in Glasson the once when the sister got married and never got a game in that time so am looking forward to paying a new course. Have heard good things about the place.

Not a lot of names down for this one yet so potentially lots of jug points up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Early days yet Seve 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Glasson is a great course so anyone on the fence about coming or have never played it before - come on and play it. I have played it a good few times but have never played the new holes yet and won't get there before we play so will be new to me. Looking forward to them as I heard they really improve the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Snackbox20

Waiting to get paid on Friday and top up my clubnet, I'm deffo booking in for this one, I'm trying to hold my top 10 spot for the jug 🙏🙏. (Is praying allowed on the forum or should I have used the fingers crossed? )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The prayers better work, as they might disqualify you from the Captains pick based on the current Captains qualifying criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Early days...lots changes over last 2 ..as people clock up the 5 and others have the 5...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wasn't going to make this, but thinking i may be able to now. Would require an up and back trip on the same day, as its my wifes birthday the following day, but i think that's doable.

4 hour drive planning the perfect game, play shite for 4 hours, 4 hour dive picking apart everything i did wrong? Sounds great 🤣

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Glasson can be very unpredictable rounds, been there for 5hrs in the past

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

An extra hour watching my plans crumbling, awesome 🤣

Snackbox might get some help if he comes dressed as a pirate I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

If you want to drive to Cork. You can travel up with me if you don't fancy the drive.

PM me if you prefer this option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

You're on the team!

🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement