Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

They probably did but Covid meant even if they ran the event nobody would show up, I’m sure they had discussion about it again or maybe the contract they had with rte didn’t allow them to stop and start

also maybe it was a pile of shite and Tubs didn’t hit the heights they expected so they didn’t want to do it anymor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He can’t, the original events are eight Renault who no longer want them

RTe are paying and he hasn’t done them. So he has to pay back, Kelly can arrange whatever he wants but at the moment I’m sure revenue are all over him so that’s a small price to pay instead of his whole business getting ruined by dodgy invoices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Here's another. If Renault pulled out of the deal then there wasn't going to be any appearances, why would there be if they were no longer a sponsor?

So any underwriting of the payment by RTE would be null and void if no work was going to be done. This is probably why rt is intimidating that it might be repaid.

But it also says to me that the whole thing was just to mask the extra pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tellytubs_pub

I remember Tubs blabbing on about the Beeb on his radio show (Monday 27th 2010), shouting...

"Beeb good or Beeb gone".

When will Tupperware stop shouting about the "Beakers" if he wants a gimme slot in London? He's after Linekers job.

There could be a Water Fall on OUR cards.

A RT E could Keel on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Backhurst must know that he will not be able to find a team that will work with RT on the radio. Tubs knows that deep down too. I think RT will get a package to break the contract but so be it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Gotcha. But of course it's probably the first question a Garda would ask you if he wanted to know where you were last evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Well even if they did/do want the mock Late Late Shows, why would they want a former Late late Show host doing them?

That's one part that baffled me with their story yesterday - a contract with provisions for Renalut leaving The Late Late Show, but no provisions for Ryan Turbidly leaving The Late Late Show?

If they still wanted them, surely they'd want Patrick Kielty doing them?

The whole story is a clusterfuck of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Honestly feels like Tubridy is living on a different planet sometimes. He still thinks Renault are interested and he will pay them back if it doesn't go ahead. They aren't interested, no-one is and they never paid him in the first place.

Its the strangest thing I've ever come across. It would be like Arsenal supporters thinking they can win the 2022-23 Premier league even after the season has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

They only ever agreed to do it for one year. Geraldine O’Leary made that clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

That was a cute ploy by Mattie so they couldn't sort out the answers for certain questions bothering them earlier 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

What a load of codswallop.

RT has a lot of friends at the national broadcaster.

in any organisation - there are people who don’t get on and are not necessarily best buddies.

while at work - they are expected to work together in the interests of the organisation.

any employee who refuses to work with RT should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be honest I really don't believe the shower involved have the intelligence to pull off something like that - particularily at political level - in fairness there is risk as well from a political angle - there are lots of staff at RTE and any one of them could have laundry to air.

That said, it is a convenient distraction at this time.

I cannot see RT work for RTE again and I see no reason as to why he should to be honest.

You reckon Mattie talked to them to prevent them from putting their heads together thereby preventing them coming up with a plan of action for the session after the interval?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Honestly feels like Tubridy is living on a different planet sometimes.

He absolutely is. He has spent all of his working life (and even some time in his younger years) in the parallel universe that is RTE.

He sailed into a job to which he was woefully unsuited, and was getting paid in figures most people could only dream of - especially if boiled down to the hours put in versus the remuneration received.

The plea towards the end about returning to RTE and not wanting to be known as the 'talent' and that his contract should be public knowledge - ah that's grand so Ryan. 🙄

I'm sure his colleagues are waiting with open arms - not really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Don't think I've everseen "cute ploy" and Mattie in a sentence before!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

are you trying to imply something? Where are you going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Things are bad when even that aul witch terry prone is having a go at ye

• mate it’s a bit weird that you’re pressing someone you don’t know for their whereabouts rather than discussing the topic at hand?

Like maybe it’s time to lay off and mind your business?

• Advertisement

- she’s running scared now - her reckless dereliction of duty and smug incompetence on full display.

some lovely glasses though, eh. What a dipstick she is

Think about it though. On a tiny island of 5.1 million I'd say 75% or more of the population know who he is. That has to have a serious impact on your personality. Even if your personality or values are strong and your home life is balanced and grounded. Then you are paid simply utterly crazy money that is totally disproportionate to your work or content produced in the public sector or all places. (yes I know its not all public money) How could he not have a superior opinion of himself. He is a product of the environment in which has lived since he was 12. He is a sponge not a stone - he absorbed it all over the years surrounded by yes men like Noel to some degree also. The only time his manufactured world is invaded or shuck is by a bollix calling him a "fag**t" in the street. So you can see what an intrusion this scandal is to Precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I never thought of that but it’s a really good point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Trying to put myself in the position of someone who works on RT's programmes, I can't think that they'll regard him as a great colleague and "friend" after this pile of shite has appeared. Therefore, they probably won't want to work for/with him. Of course, if push comes to shove and as a poster said above, they could be told to work with him. But there are a hundred subtle ways to torpedo RT if you feel seriously p*ssed with him. And they may well find all the ways to make him sound a fool on air.

I also don't see Bakhurst as new broom. He has history with RTE and, whether or not he acknowledges it, that informs and maybe taints his view. He's already had to recuse himself from dealing with Marty. (As an aside, I've always been amused that recuse is an anagram of rescue, and Bakhurst has rescued himself from having to deal with matey Marty). How many other mates does he have from his time with RTE?

there is a clause in the contract that the contractor is not obligated to provide a live show on Good Friday.

further to that there is a clause that the contractor is not to provide his services to any other organisation (especially not BBC radio) over the Easter weekend

Tubridy persisted with the learned off rote “charmer” lines up to the end of his appearance yest “that’s a wrap as we say in the biz” -

then expectantly looking around for approval -

met with stony faces and quiet embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What's that got to do with the price of cabbages?

Are you not bored of trolling yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

So most likely what happened was Kelly threatened that Tubridy would walk unless his pay was above 500k, so when it was negotiated down to 440k GOL said she’d see what could be done.

Forbes must have agreed with O’Leary to do a swindle, some creative bookkeeping to reduce the sponsorship if they got the sponsor to pay him directly.

They paid for the expenses of the roadshow from the slush fund, and hoped it would prove to be a worthwhile promotion that Renault would continue to pay each year, probably with the same deal to give a credit note each year and use the slush fund for expenses.

Then they got caught out by the lockdown, Kelly threatened legal action which would have exposed the fraudulent practice, so they paid him off from the slush fund.

The auditors found it out, and the Chairperson of the Board of Directors hastily fired Forbes and they all colluded that Forbes would disappear and they’d blame it all on her and she would plead the mental health excuse to stay out of reach.

Now Tubridy claims ignorance of the law that he had to sign off his company accounts in good faith, and he’s pleading the fool pretending he didn’t know that this money was coming directly from RTÉ, and under examination he even said he’d give the money back, pretending that the shows could still happen and ignoring that the truth is out now that the sponsor is not going to pay him.

He should be banned from RTÉ now along with Kelly.

He is no loss anyway.

And they would have gotten away with all of it if it wasn’t for that pesky virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

With all the lying, passing the buck and dodging of questions it’s been hard to keep up with everything.

No wonder NK was tripping himself up yesterday when he was asked where the actual contract was. Not an email, not an invoice but the contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement