Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Are there figures for long term vacant dwellings?

Census does not produce figures on long term vacant dwellings. However, when the data was analysed, 48,387 dwellings which were vacant in 2016 were still vacant in 2022. Furthermore, 23,483 dwellings were vacant in 2011, 2016 and 2022. These figures may be an indication of dwellings which were vacant for a longer period of time.

There were also 104,996 dwellings that were vacant in 2016 but occupied in 2022, and 86,030 dwellings that were occupied in 2016 but vacant in 2022.

From CSO it seems like vacant numbers are largely from turnover of stock rather than true vacant stock that isnt making it to market.

Also:

The census vacancy figure is an accurate point in time measure, on Census night in 2022. This figure was arrived at using detailed procedures and definitions which have been applied consistently over several censuses. It includes dwellings that were vacant for a short period of time. They may have been for sale, for rent, undergoing renovation, or the owner may have been in hospital, or a nursing home. These dwellings may well have been occupied again a few weeks after Census night and may not be included in other counts of vacancy which tend to focus on longer term vacancy

So going on about a stock of 160k houses as if its available supply is nonsense. The CSO themselves say these figures are not long term vacancies. 48k long term vacancies according to CSO based on successive census'. Anything else could have been determined to be occupied only weeks after census night.

Really a bit of common sense shows that if we actually had 160k vacant units simply being hoarded, house prices would be a fraction of their current high.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

I'm not talking about vacancy, and have no interest in getting into another pointless back and forth about the difference between long term and short term vacancy etc.

I'm simply making the point that it is amazing how many people, experts included, think using the metrics of population and average household size is a perfectly reasonable way of estimating how many houses are required to sufficiently accommodate a growth in population, whilst simultaneously ignoring those exact same metrics in assessing whether we have enough existing housing stock to sufficiently accommodate our existing population.

It seems totally ridiculous to me.

"Existing housing stock" - how does existing stock solve the supply problem unless said stock is vacant? If its not vacant its already occupied, and therefore cannot address the needs of the market.

Because the problem we have has been caused more by the grossly inefficient allocation of existing stock rather than a catastrophic shortage of new build stock.

Taking measures designed to increase the efficiency of allocation could solve, or at the very least alleviate, the problem far quicker than ramping up new build supply.

The narrative that the only solution is to build more is creating a blind spot resulting in a ridiculous situation in which the argument goes something like this:

If its not vacant its already occupied, and therefore cannot address the needs of the market.

But the data shows that there are lots of units that are unoccupied that could address the needs of the market.

Rubbish, we can disregard those figures because the vacant numbers are largely from turnover of stock rather than true vacant stock that isn't making it to market.

Okay then, in that case there we're disregarding at the bare minimum 35k rentals and 18k properties for sale on the market in late April 2022. And that is a very healthy level of available stock for turnover thus we have no supply issues.

But, but, but, they weren't actually on the market. Rentals and for sales advertised listings were at record lows in late April 2022.

Well then perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to disregard this data?

The vacancy argument is a pointless one because as long as people are convinced 100k odd units are irrelevant because they were probably occupied a few weeks either side of the census, it's a circle that cannot be squared.

Hence why I was concentrating on the total population and average household size.

That shows that we don't have enough people to fill those 100k units either side of the census. Or else the CSO somehow missed counting the guts of 300k people in the census.

Whatever way you look at it the data is pointing to a problem of inefficiency rather than new build supply.

Total population in private housing / number of privately occupied houses = average household size

There is no new information here, household size calculation is based on pop and occupied private dwellings. CSO data does not have any metrics recorded which support the idea of under occupancy or inefficient allocation of existing stock.

• Advertisement

Ok let, me put it another way.

If we are to believe there were approx 100k unoccupied dwellings that were turnover stock between tenants/owners on census night, and were probably occupied a few weeks either side of census night, that is a conservative estimate of 250k people moving out of old properties and into new properties around that time.

Where were those 250k people housed on census night?

And what happened to the properties they moved out of?

Your assertion is that we have enough stock already to address supply issue - if that were true then why is it that making 30k new builds to the market every year doesn't cause prices to drop?

If we had enough supply based on vacants you are assuming vacant number ~160k equals or exceeds demand for housing. If that were the case, then surely us producing almost 20% of that number annually in new builds would cause prices to drop significantly year on year?

Based on your avoidance of the question I take you've finally seen the problem with the explanation that approx 100k houses were simply between occupants at that point in time?

Obviously it's because the new occupants would have vacated approx 100k houses and thus obviously there would yet another 100k houses on the market for rent or sale simply between occupants at another point in time a few weeks later.

And so on and so forth. It's very simple logic.

If you're theory was correct, then obviously adding another 30k new builds to the market every year would cause prices to drop significantly. The fact that they are not dropping casts doubt on your explanation rather than mine.

The CSO see no issue with that explanation and neither do I.

The only relevant metrics for vacancies are long term (those measured across more than a few weeks). This was put to you earlier in thread about using vacancies based on ESB connections and low usage, and you questioned the validity of it over and over. I will not rehash that series of arguments again for the sake of everyone elses sanity.

Prices not dropping despite close to 30k new builds hitting the market annually supports the idea we have high pent up demand. It in no way lends credence to the notion that we already have enough supply, or that the only issue is inefficient allocation of existing stock, as you previously claimed.

From CSO national vacancy rate in ireland (based on metered electricity consumption ) is under 5%. Less than 100k actually unoccupied long term. That sub 5% vacancy rate is low by European standards.

I haven't questioned the validity of esb measurements. I've only questioned the explanation that the bulk of these properties are unoccupied for a few weeks. It doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. As you can see yourself.

From CSO national vacancy rate in ireland (based on metered electricity consumption ) is under 5%. Less than 100k actually unoccupied long term. That sub 5% vacancy rate is low by European standards.

Can you show me where you are getting the comparison with European standards from? i.e that our long term rate as per ESB is low?

If you can link to that, I will happily point out the flaw in the comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Lads couldn’t ye write a letter to the CSO explaining the errors in their vacancy calculations. I’m sure with your rock solid arguments they will throw out their current flawed methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

So your argument in a nutshell is basically - if we all play a bit of musical chairs and everyone move to a house better suited for their needs - we'd have no housing problem.

Essentially yes. Turnover of existing stock is musical chairs.

To solve the housing problems we have now, getting the game of musical chairs going again is far more important than simply ramping up new build supply.

We need to look at why turnover is so low, and address those problems.

Turnover is so low because of a lack of supply

You need enough units empty and available for sale so that the whole thing keeps moving. We do not right now, as we are severely supply constrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think you're failing to factor human nature into your solution. If someone or a couple with a family reared has lived 30, 40 or 50 years in their 3 or 4 bedroom home, is settled in their area, has easy access to the amenities and services they require nearby, they are not necessarily going to downsize to an alien neighbourhood just because they have one or two extra bedrooms surplus to everyday requirements.

None of my parents, aunts, uncles or their friends or neighbours of similar age have done so even though all their offspring have flown the nests years ago. It certainly works for some people and they do it but the majority who are eligible to downsize won't.

You need enough units empty and available for sale so that the whole thing keeps moving. We do not right now, as we are severely supply constrained.

Yes. Totally agree with this. Empty and available for sale. Or rent.

We're supply constrained with the existing stock that is available for sale. We need to address the problems of why that it is. Solely focussing on building new stock to try solve this problem is shortsighted.

Sure, I agree with this, and I've said here numerous times that I would never be in favour of pressurising an elderly couple to leave their home irrespective of how big or seemingly unsuitable it is. That's their decision.

But as you say, it certainly works for some people, but the principle barrier to them doing it is that there is nothing suitable available for them to buy or rent. So they stay put.

And this has knock on effects up and down the chain, so thousands of people of all ages and demographics who do want to move to a different type of property just stay put.

And the more who just stay put the worse the problem gets.

If we build new stock the net effect is more property in the market, which enables non-FTBs who want to move to another property.

We have a supply shortage - fixing it requires increased supply. Its really very simple

We have a supply shortage - fixing it requires increased supply. Its really very simple

And my belief is that if you take the best available data at face value, we don't have a shortage of existing supply.

You confirmed that by taking the data from the census at face value, and disregarding 100k properties because they were available supply. That level of supply indicates we have no supply shortage.

Again nobody has yet squared that circle, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A lot of that vacant housing stock would be in a very bad state. It is vacant but not habitable. You can't just move people into it tomorrow. It is vacant but not available.

• Advertisement

And yet the market disagrees - if those 100k were actually available on the market, and if they were anywhere close to addressing demand for housing - then prices would drop.

If 100k was enough to satisfy current demand prices would already be dropping as we build 30k new annually

This has been debunked numerous times. The CSO only includes what they consider to be habitable dwellings in their count of vacancies.

Granted, perhaps their definition of habitable does not mean somebody can move in tomorrow, but it is highly likely that somebody could move in, in less time than it would take to build a brand new house from scratch.

And it is highly unlikely the 33k available rentals were un inhabitable.

And the 100k properties available supply I mentioned in post you quoted were specifically referring to those properties tummy disregarded because he thinks they were probably occupied a few weeks after census night.

This has been debunked numerous times. The CSO only includes what they consider to be habitable dwellings in their count of vacancies.

Granted, perhaps their definition of habitable does not mean somebody can move in tomorrow, but it is highly likely that somebody could move in, in less time than it would take to build a brand new house from scratch.

And it is highly unlikely the 33k available rentals were un inhabitable.

And the 100k properties available supply I mentioned in post you quoted were specifically referring to those properties tummy disregarded because he thinks they were probably occupied a few weeks after census night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That link even says that this doens't imply these properties are available for re-use. You're saying we don't need more supply because we have 100k units that are available for re-use and pointing to this as your proof even though it expicitly says that it should not be used for that. Also, some of the properties that are actually available would be in places no one or not many might want to live. It doesn't matter if there are a lot of empty houses in remote and rural locations if people are looking to buy or rent near towns and cities.

Hang on you can't argue it both ways.

Either the 100k properties were actually available on the market at census time, and probably occupied a few weeks later, hence can be disregarded as potential available supply.

Or they were not actually available on the market at census time, hence they cannot be disregarded as potential available supply.

Which is it?

Some of the highest vacancy rates in the country are in Dublin 2,4,6 and South Dublin.

Dublin is one of the few areas in which vacancy rates are increasing.

"What is a hypothetical"

You keep dodging questions that you find inconvenient repeatedly. You claim that 100k units would be enough to solve our housing issues. The fact that we make 30k a year new and prices continue to rise (flatline now) disproves this point.

The 33k rentals are no longer vacant more than likely - unless there are 33k rental ads on daft and airbnb with no takers. Thats how cso determine a vacant is rental - based on ads at the time of census. Majority are likely airbnb short term lets, most of which are ex bedsits no longer suitable for main rental market anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@timmyntc

The 33k rentals are no longer vacant more than likely - unless there are 33k rental ads on daft and airbnb with no takers. Thats how cso determine a vacant is rental - based on ads at the time of census. Majority are likely airbnb short term lets, most of which are ex bedsits no longer suitable for main rental market anyways.

There is so much monkeying about with Daft listings an outfit such as the CSO should simply not be using them as a source of information.

You claim that 100k units would be enough to solve our housing issues. The fact that we make 30k a year new and prices continue to rise (flatline now) disproves this point.

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt that hypothetically if there were 100k units available for sale or rent today, or indeed at the time of the census, we would not be discussing any housing market problems.

I don't believe for a second there were 100k units available for sale or rent at the time of the census, it's your claim:

"48k long term vacancies according to CSO based on successive census'. Anything else could have been determined to be occupied only weeks after census night."

Disregarding everything except the long term 48k on the grounds that they were turnover stock occupied shortly after indicates there was at least 100k in turnover stock available at that time.

Thats how cso determine a vacant is rental - based on ads at the time of census.

This is just so abundantly wrong, it is absurd. The CSO have listed 33k of the vacants as rentals. The idea that they did this because they found 33k ads on daft is laughable. Sure they might look at daft, and see if the information is corroborated, but they absolutely are not using daft to determine the status of why a property is vacant.

I keep reiterating we can agree to disagree on this, yet you keep coming back with more misunderstandings. Are you happy just to drop it?

• Advertisement

The number of dwellings attributed as being available to rent seems very high compared with what is available on websites. Why?

Properties which were declared vacant by enumerators on Census night and described as rental properties include dwellings which were advertised on websites as being for rent, short term lettings including AirBnB properties, and dwellings which were between lettings but may not have been commercially advertised. There were 35,380 vacant dwellings which were rental properties. This was more than 20% of the total stock of vacant dwellings

Source: https://www.cso.ie/en/census/census2022/census2022andvacantdwellingsfaq/

Advertisement