Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shaft a bad idea?

Options
  • 12-07-2023 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

The shaft on my driver broke in half during my last round and it was lucky because I was playing awful anyway. There was a crack in it for years and it just finally gave way.

I got a lesson from the guy who I gave the driver in to, and after the lesson he recommended a x-stiff shaft based on how I was hitting it.

What worries me is that at a different fitting recently, I didn't see improvements from regular to stiff in irons, and the guy said I wasn't good enough for fitting. Too flippy with my release. This latest session I was hitting much better but worried if that doesn't hold true will I now have a driver that doesn't work for me?

Anybody have experience with this at all? My miss is a hook when I go after it and I do hit the ball very high so maybe its the right decision but not sure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Whoever said that to you is just bad at their job Pakman.

There's so much more than just stiffness to shafts and someone who knows what they're doing should be able to match you up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

What driver head is it Pakman?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Yeah it got in my head, which is very easily done 😁 , and changed my decision to upgrade my irons. I might have to revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just use the half shaft you have remaining and it will be fine for the next boards outing 😁

915D3 9.5°. Have it set to D3 position which adds loft so really a 10° I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

What shaft was in it originally?

It was a stiff but the only club in the bag I play with one. No idea on specs besides as I bought it second hand. Think was 60g and new one is 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

Don't worry too much about the clubs for the moment, what you have will likely work fine. The comment about not being good enough for a fitting is a bit unprofessional tbh. The idea of the fitting is to get the right setup based on your specific needs (height, ability, swing, speed etc).

I would recommend focusing on lessons and practice. Maybe get a different person to do the lessons than the fitting guy. Try some of your golf mates for recommendations.

Out of curiosity, what's your typical score in a round or what handicap have you?

In fairness to the first guy I am paraphrasing a little, but only a little. The second lesson was much better and had me hitting it really well with abbreviated follow through so I'll be sticking with him in future. I'm off 13 but lost consistency past couple of months after playing really well at the start of the year.

• Advertisement

What manufacturer, model etc. do you know was the shaft? If you are off around 13 you must have some consistancy and ability.

From a high handicapper so probably best to ignore this!

Flex itself is all relative. If you take for example iron shafts, the S300 is a stiff shaft, as is the Project X 6.0 and NS Equivalent stiff. So these are all "stiff" but have different specs and characteristics and weights.

I remember one time, (similar to you I hit a high drive) and original set up was a ping tour 65 regular, tried the ping tour 65 stiff and the results were not as good as my original set up. On what I thought were good hits they didn't travel as far as what my original set up would do.

Signs You Need a Stiffer Shaft - The Left Rough

I guess I'm just going to have to try it out and see. Suppose if it does go well then it justifies another look at the irons and if not, I know my place and where to stick 😁

The only thing to do is get a new driver fitting! And then to be sure it ties in with the rest of your bag you'll need an iron fitting too... ;)

13 is a good hc and better than the average golfer. The fitting comment is now quite funny in that context.

Stick with the lessons/drills and your swing will gradually get to where you want it to be. Tbf I struggle with over-rotating and flipping hands when things go bad. My thought is always to try to stay "on top" of the ball a bit longer before releasing the club. Seems to help me hit down on the irons a lot better.

And you can't spend that kind of money without matching with a new putter and bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

As others have said very difficult to know for sure what would suit without getting a fitting but I'd be very wary of any fitter trying to put you into an X-Stiff shaft unless you have a well above average swing speed. Generally and there are exceptions but you'll typically want to have a cruising swing speed of well over 105mph to get the results out of an x-stiff. I don't mean going after it, i mean your worst swing would still be in the 107/8 range. Anything less than that and I would be questioning anyone going into an x-stiff. I'd just go for a fitting and try different options out, thats the only way to be sure. Make sure you go back and hit the club/shaft you are recommended at the end of the session too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You definitely have the swing speed for at least stiff Pakman, always going to be a bit of readjustment to a new shaft, takes a bit of patience, but if the spec lines up with your swing it'll pay off in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Op, I'd say at best anyone telling you you need a particular shaft based on how you are hitting it, without any data, is chancing their arm tbh. They may have some knowledge and experience, but at best its a flier. Even the same flex from different companies can vary wildly. One company's S flex could play close to another company's X etc.

Depending on how serious you are about the game and what you can afford, IMHO if its a relatively new driver and you want it to last you a while longer, its worth spending the cash on a proper fitting. If nothing else it will remove the doubt factor where you'll always be asking yourself if you got the right one. The shaft is basically a timing mechanism to allow you to deliver the clubhead as best you can, so if you can try 5 or 6 options at a fitting and see what's best, it all good. That said, if you watch any of the TXG videos they're frequently at pains to point out that the component that gives the least gains in a fitting is the shaft, there's far more to be had from changing loft, head, even ball apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

pity, I have a spare x-flex with taylormade head adapter, you could have tried.

I have a feeling I'm going to have a spare too soon. Took the old regular flex g20 out of storage just in case. 200 yards up in the air and 180 long for my matchplay on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I am right in saying you have no driver now? Then get a driver fitting asap.. I think fittings are more important in woods as there graphite shafts than irons, Bigger miss etc. If you like the Pro your getting lessons with stick with him as he knows your swing. I take it he has a fitting studio or some way to collect data. Just cause he said X-stiff means nothing! That can change when he sees your stats. Then depending on budget either get a new shaft of new Driver most the time there be nothing in the difference. While having the fitting get your irons check but this could lead to more problems ie you selling the car for new shiny irons 😂

I got fitted for new clubs before xmas (irons) They were quite expensive! and found out at fitting my driver shaft was a cheap **** one. Not been able to afford a new driver as well. I got an upgraded shaft for €260.. and my dispersion is much better not hitting it any further but a lot more consistent with it.

The shaft is all off one session with him on trackman where I was hitting particularly well. 7 iron was going 170 by the end of it. The shaft he's recommended is only 90 quid so might just take the risk and see how it performs. I'm always wary about going all in on the fitting because I can be twenty different golfers based on the circumstances. Half the reason I have 15 yr old irons is not willing to spend the time deciphering the truth from the noise on all this.

I swing about 105 driver and can push it to 107+ but I lose control if squeeze anything else. That's about a 260-270 carry on trackman or optimal summer day with a quality strike. Reality is 240 to 250 for the most part on course.

Trackman 7i is 165yd carry for me but I can push it just over 170 if needed. I've tried X stiff driver and irons but they are so hard to time. Particularly the driver. Irons not as bad but I really prefer a lighter driver shaft. My iron numbers on trackman are very close to on course compared to driver/woods.

You'd probably benefit a lot from a recent set of used irons. Like 3-5 years old forged players distance model. Nice blend of power and feel. They'd be under €500 easily and hold value if you moved them on. It's low risk punt and investment vs 1k+ for new set fitted.

Great idea thanks. You might be getting tapped up for advice before I do pull the trigger 😁

@pakman Just happened to see these today. Dunno if the wedges are any use but if you got the price down for only the irons it might be a good deal for you. Dunno what stiff shaft they have and one of the iron grips looks like it was changed.

They're a pretty hot iron, with stronger lofts like the TM P790 and Mizuno JPX hot metal. Loads of positive reviews on youtube. You could buy the copper set new from clubhouse golf for €650 fwiw.

Cheers I'll take a look. 50 degree in there too which I have been looking to buy

Price agreed, arranging the collection, he pulled out last minute. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm pretty much identical swing speed and carry distances. Same experience for me with X-stiff, at the fitting I was swinging well averaging close to 107 so he suggested we try x-stiff, Hzrdus one I could barely hit the ball with it, just felt like swinging a pipe, ventus was easier to manage but i felt like i had to really swing hard to get it going, much preferred to stiff shaft overall.

Managed to get these in the end. Two range sessions and I love them so far. Came with two wedges as well so thank you for the suggestion.

• Advertisement

Ah that's class and a nice deal for you with the two wedges. Even better to hear they're going well.

Advertisement