Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Great interview with Pello Bilbao afterwards. Really delighted for him and his team. Hope they can win again this year. Come on Fred Wright!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was delighted for Pello too. When I looked at the stage and seen the finish he crossed my mind but I'd never have thought he'd be in the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 11

This is a true classic type stage. Good climbs early on and then short little kickers over the second half of it.

I don't think WVA and MVP will miss the break this time. Mads Pedersen will fancy his chances in this one with no serious gradients.

I jest, I jest. This is almost certainly a sprint stage. There'll be a breakaway but the sprint teams will be fully focused on bringing it back.

There is a chance late in the stage that somebody could make a move ala Victor Lafay on stage 2 but it's unlikely as the term once bitten, twice shy comes to mind as regards the peloton.

So there's all the usuals. Mads Pederson, Dylan Groenewegen, Phil Bauhaus, Caleb Ewan, Fabio Jakobsen, WVA and Girmay.

I think I forgot one there. Oh yes it's my pick for the win Jasper Philipsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't know. I'm starting to lose faith in the big classics guys coming good at this Tour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I put Wout and MVDP in my Velogames team. Waste.

My missus picked her team based on who she thought seemed like a “lovely boy” in the Netflix documentary. She’s murdering me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Same. I was tossing up between WVA and Phillipsen. Seems like a big mistake now,

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭martco

Sam Bennett

am I the only one deriving a smidge of satisfaction in seeing the lad who replaced him well down the points jersey classification? is that terrible of me?

I feel bad because I know they all deserve massive respect for just being there, nonetheless....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone other than Philipsen who was a lovely boy in Unchained that's doing well this year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I feel bad for Meeus myself. On a hiding to nothing and ultimately it's the management who are at fault not Meeus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Carlton talks some amount of bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, even by the standards of having to fill 'static' parts of the stage where nothing is changing in positions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

fair fcuks to Phillipsen, that was well done

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yep Philipsen is by far the best here but Robbie McEwan is wrong. It's 4 from 5. Don't forget Mads.

You'll be pleased then with today... not in Top 10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Won that one at his ease

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

that wasn't a proper sprint stage though was it, bit of an uphill finish? Pederson was favourite to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

To be fair to Meeus, Bauhaus put him into the hoardings 200m out.

On the basis that he contested it and finished 2nd I would count it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thinks it’s unfair to be down on Meuus. He was a surprised as Sam was by all accounts. No matter what he does in the tour he can’t win as such.

• Advertisement

Of course it is unfair. Not trying to pretend it is anything other. And yet... it's there. That's sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100% Sam has a right to be bitter, he'd be up there in top 5 bit it's not Meuus fault. On the same note, I suspect Bora never had any intention of the green jersey, or at least there was a pivot by management awhile before the tour. They thought they had potential with Jai and while it's not going to be a win, they are still on track for a podium. So maybe Sam was better off not being there as he would have been on his own having to surf wheels. He'd have done better than Meuus (and that's no disrespect to him) but with rare exception, support is needed.

Maybe the decision was actually Mullen vs another climber?

Though DVP & Sam would have throwing a good fist at the sprints so far.

I think your wife has a thing for a strong jawline. That or baby faced cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I think you have a point here and I believe his absence from the the line up demonstrates Mullens value to the Bora sprint train. There was a lot of commentary that Sam's performance were so disappointing because he had the best leadout team in the World Tour. Mullen does a lot of the donkey work in the 3km to 1km to go part of the stage where van Poppel takes over (excluding today because it looked like van Poppel had a bad day and didnt feature at all in the lead out). If I was looking to build a world tour leadout train for next season I would be seriously looking at Mullen (and Morkov for one season at least now that it appears he is leaving lotto Soudal).

Now it is also worth remembering that when Meeus was announced in the tour team the 8th rider was A.N Other which obviously meant it was a last minute decision to swap out Sam with Meeus. The dilemma for Bora was then whether to bring Mullen as a third member of the new sprint strain or pick an extra support member for Hindley which they had not originally planned for and ultimately chose Konrad who had just completed the Giro. A Bora sprint train of van Poppel and Meeus was a complete unknown as they rarely raced together beforehand and not bringing Mullen as the third member of the sprint train compounded that mistake.

Morkov is leaving Soudal seemingly & has a very interesting offer on the table as he said himself.

Mullen - Morkov - Sam at Tudor maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Morkov-Mullen-Cavendish at Astana for #35 😅

I was pretty understanding of the reasons to leave Sam out but looking at these sprints I'de say he has as good a shout as anyone for 2nd behind Jasper.

She has a thing for both lovely boys. That’s why she married me.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

My god is anyone else actually getting pains whenever Jens Voigt does a piece, the guy is abysmal! "4 sprint stages and 4 sprint wins for xxx, now that's what I call 100%" no Jens that's what everyone $$$$ing calls 100%. I actually have to turn off the TV when he speaks.

Advertisement