Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭j2

I just hope Israel somehow ends up winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

A bit, actually, yeah. I'd have thought they'd be fairly sick of Ukraine by now and would prefer to face down barely-armed African rebels rather than a HIMARS strike. Doesn't seem as though Ukraine has been a happy time for them, characterised by bloody attritional fighting and bickering with the regular Russian military.

I guess that that if Wagner reenters Ukraine, then it's full proof that Russia needs Wagner at least as much as Wagner needs Russia.

The story that Putin has tasked Prigozhin with finding and killing Zelensky certainly suggests that Wagner's mission in Russia would change from an assault force to something more covert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Nope, not madness in Russia. Most other Country's in the world it would be considered madness though. In Putin's Russia, it's perfectly normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Fastpud

Good analysis of the offensive to date.

https://youtu.be/8fR9HJnYXoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Would have been happier now if Russia had offed Prigozin.

Ffs Ukraine has another headache.

Probably better armed and equipped now he's shown he could take bakhmut and a few weeks later gets to the gates of Moscow with little or no losses,as it stands Wagner are Russias vanguard forces going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Also the talk of the Russian people rebelling has took another blow.

We we’re told mobilisation would bring them to the streets.

Seems Putins grip is stronger and Russian people would rather keep quite or else be threatened with their sons being shipped to the frontline.

Utterly depressing situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I have not listened to this guy before, he's a Danish military analyst, its very refreshing to get a balanced opinion on the status of the Ukrainian offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

War Updates with Stanley Tucci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

All that talk we have being hearing about for months is unfortunately wishful thinking.Ukraine still have a huge task to beat back and out Putin who will use any means at his disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem is what Putin has at his disposal has recently equated to tanks from post ww2; while the might of presumed Russian logistics has been laid bare as not remotely self sufficient when the rest of the world makes you an economic pariah. Russia is a busted flush, only sunk cost and the threat of sudden defenestration for Putin likely keeps the troops in Ukraine.

Undoubtedly the basic numerical advantage remains with Russia, that's without question, but you can't throw every soldier, helicopter or tank at this problem, before you're left with an internal revolt - or China wandering across the border and taking what looks nice to them. I'm not sure what it'll take for Putin to back off at this stage, but you'd have to speculate the man might want an exit strategy ... somehow.

The only thing Russia has left is to try and turn the Wests support off through trolling and disinformation. I don't think it's working TBH apart from the usual sets of contrarians and the ageing left so entrenched in Anti-Western loathing that they'll side with a dictator; but that's not to say support couldn't wane if economies started shrinking again - yet that also appears not to have happened after the initial shock of the Cost of Living crisis when it started, and I imagine that (say) those German factories making Leopards are enjoying the work.

While I think the threat of Trump 2024 is exaggerated: cos whatever else that man is, he's singularly selfish and would turn on Russia if it meant more for Trump; his loyalty to end American support wouldn't be reliable IMO, and with his own set of legal peril in the here and now, siding with Russia and stopping the shipments of bullets, bombs and Abrams could be a fatal move in the heartlands that make those things. He once claimed he could stop the war in 24 hours - and maybe the critical part of his plan would be to give Ukraine nukes, or something equally nutty. You just can't know with Trump what he'll do - but he'll rarely do what he boats either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Culture wars are a great way to oppress a populace. I remember their ultras being noted during World Cup games (or was it euros?). They have a strong, strong anti lgbt movement.

Once you can get people to fear an already oppressed group you can easily play the saviour since they were never a real threat and start control of the media as part of this protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Is this the fella that was prominent of Joe Duffy's Liveline programme last year? Came across as a fantasist, but thought he came back then having explained he was battle scarred. Maybe he went back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

President of Czech Republic believes Ukraine have until end of this year to regain as much territory as possible, then they will have to negotiate an end to the war.

His rationale is that they will have difficulty getting enough troops for another counter-offensive. He also mentions elections in US, Ukraine and elsewhere as being complicating factors and war fatigue setting in in the West.

"We all understand that there is a window of opportunity this year and that's why many of us argue let's give Ukraine whatever they need to extend success as far as possible to have the most advantageous position for negotiations once they start."

"I believe that by the end of this year, wherever operations will go on will slow down because of winter, because of fatigue, because of lack of ammunition, lack of resources, even human resources, and that might lead on both sides to [the] conviction that it's a right time to start negotiations."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

I just discovered it is the same Roseanne that was growling on our televisions some years back. lol. And she became a politician and she is still growling, lol. She's a growler. She's a growling growler, growling.

Roseanne Barr is Disgusting - Jewish Business News

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

Pavel previously called out the lack of ammunition for ukraine as a serious issue ,he's mentioned it again here and this isn't some propaganda repeated off twitter,

There's a real concern in what he's saying if major gains aren't made in the next while and they go into winter in pretty much the same positions and on the same lines ,this Will give Russia the chance to enforce their lines and Fortifiy more locations, they also have to take into stock NATO supplies aren't infinite and according to various reports Nato countries will need be restocked or put their own defense capabilities at risk,

Just looking at the list of vehicles being sent to Ukraine more Bradleys and Strykers going by the figures Ukraine already seem to have lost a sizable number of their new Bradleys which was supposed to be a game changer for them,

The next few months may very well prove to be crucial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His opinion carries serious weight not just because of his political role but his senior military experience and NATO leadership role.

Yes, he gives a very reasoned view on the present state of play. He also gives different view on the "Prigozhin Affair " He does not believe for an instant that it was a joint Putin / Prigozhin endeavor to flush out the anti-Putin elements. it was a full fledged mutiny, that for some as yet unknown reason failed, but is still very much a live and on going event. you can see it here:- Is there another Wagner insurrection coming? - YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

So we're almost halfway through summer and it's becoming more clear the weapon stalling has cost Ukraine dearly. It probably won't be until next summer until Ukraine has everything it needs and who knows what happens between now and then. This is starting to look like a 5 year war.

Lack of air support is probably the main reason for the slow progress of the Ukrainian advancing. So one reason why Biden gave the cluster munitions is that it will help make up for the shortage in aircraft, by supplying the cluster bombs, where a singe bomb can deliver 2'000 bomblets, and all by air. Imagine a few of these cluster bombs releasing their thousands of munitions over trench systems? Will cause absolute mayhem on the Russian lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I'd still bet money that we're going to see some significant breakthroughs before the good weather is out, maybe to Tokmak or through a narrow section of the landbridge and also encircling Bakhmut in the east. That Putin is supposedly allowing Priggy to resume command of Wagner in Ukraine again is telling(if its true, who fooking knows with that lot). Actually allowing a force that openly incited rebellion to rearm again? That takes a special amount of desperation.

On the flip side it's hard to deny that if Ukraine had ATACMS and a few dozen F16s by now that we'd be looking at an entirely different battlefield. The west seems to think(maybe with the exception of the UK) that if we tune the dials in just enough we can give just enough to placate supporters without prodding Russia into escalating. Russia is an uncontrollable fucken basket case. And every day this war drags on is another day for some unpredictable disaster to occur.

I still remember the rocket that landed in Poland killing two unfortunates. I'm no conspiracy theorist but I do actually believe that was a russian rocket and that the west collectively played down the event in order to avoid an article 5 and full scale war. Now that's probably the wisest thing they could do IMO but the rhetoric and more importantly the material support needed to significantly amplify against Russia after that to bring this war to a conclusion sooner. It hasn't and for sure the war will have more of these surprises in store. Ones we can't avoid or play down.

If I have to listen to Jens Stoltenberg say "We need to support Ukraine", "As long as it takes", "Ukraine has a right to defend itself" i'm gonna start ripping my beard hair out. It should be "We need Ukraine to WIN". The fact that they refuse say it is worrying. This isn't 15 months ago. We should all be WELL past the idea that Putin can be controlled or conversely that he has red lines that need any modicum of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Ukraine saying today it probably wont be until end of Spring 2024 before they get F16s. Ukraine is being asked to do something that hasn't been attempted since NATO was founded - advance without air cover into Russia's labryinth of trenches and fortifications.

Read today that Ukraine reached the last tree line before Zereb'yanka in Zaporizhia region but had to retreat under heavy Russian shelling. They have made progress in Zaporizhia but they need air cover.

Even Nato has said it would be happening until after they finish their counter offensive, and yet people were expecting July to sometime in September or October before they get F16s ,it's seems most people are believing everything they read on social media, unfortunately it's going to be a long slow process before ukraine gets any F16s ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A bit of criticism from the Brits?

Slight word of caution', UK defence secretary warns Ukraine allies aren't 'Amazon' delivery serviceAnalysis by Deborah Haynes, security and defence editor

The UK and its NATO allies are not an "Amazon" delivery service for weapons to Ukraine and Kyiv might be wise to let its supporters "see gratitude", Britain's defence secretary has said.

In a blunt intervention, Ben Wallace said his "counsel" to the Ukrainians was to keep in mind that they need to persuade some doubting politicians in Washington and other capitals that the tens of billions of pounds they are spending in military aid to their country for its war with Russia is worthwhile.

He was responding to a question from Sky News about whether the failure of allies to give President Volodymyr Zelenskyy a timeframe for membership to NATO at a major summit this week would undermine the morale of his troops on the frontline.

The defence secretary said he did not believe this was the case, before describing how Ukraine is always asking for more even after receiving the latest batch of arms.

"There is a slight word of caution here, which is that whether we like it or not people want to see gratitude," Mr Wallace said in a briefing to journalists on the sidelines of the two-day summit in the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius.

"My counsel to the Ukrainians is sometimes look you're persuading countries to give up their own stocks [of weapons] and yes the war is a noble war and yes we see it as you doing a war for - not just yourself - but our freedoms.

"But sometimes you've got to persuade lawmakers on the Hill in America, you've got to persuade doubting politicians in other countries that you know, that it's worth it and it's worthwhile and that they're getting something for it.

"And whether you like that or not, that is just the reality of it."

Mr Wallace said you sometimes hear "grumbles" from American lawmakers – not the administration – about support to Ukraine that "we've given $83 billion worth or whatever [and] you know, we're not Amazon."

The defence secretary said he too had told the Ukrainians in June last year that the UK was not the online delivery service when it came to supplying arms.

"I said to the Ukrainians last year, when I drove 11 hours to [Kyiv to] be given a list – I said, I am not Amazon."

He also said he warned them that they needed to provide better training for their troops to stop them suffering such a high weekly rate of casualties as that would risk them losing political support. He instead offered to provide a training programme in the UK.

• Advertisement

Yes that's a big issue for them ,but I think they dropped the Ball during the Kherson offensive when the Russian lines broke and were in total panic stations trying to withdraw to safety, rather than push the advantage and go all out to break the Russians,they stopped and consolidated the areas they had retaken, then they wasted valuable men and equipment trying to hold bakhmut which they eventually lost,yes it was a meat grinder for the Russians but it was a meat grinder for themselves,and now they are back trying to take bakhmut, I think they should have sealed bakhmut and turned it into an artillery range rather than going straight back to where the Russians have the advantage,

Even at this point I can't see them getting anything but a handful of f16s either sometime after the counter offensive,and that won't make much of a difference great for morale but the Russians still maintain an advantage in air defenses and aircraft

Meanwhile in the black sea the Moskva cruiser which the Ukrainans sunk last year has been replaced with a brand new vessel barely 12 months later....

Hopefully this one joins it's sister on the floor of the Black sea .....

UK and Nato are not an Amazon weapons delivery service for ukraine UK secretary for defense Ben Wallace,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The reality of this may yet persuade bordering nations to get more actively involved and provide air cover/ implement a no fly zone etc. As part of a calculation of what is in their best long term interests and at what cost.

The Swiss Intelligence Service has 'credible information' that Zelensky plans to politically eliminate his closest rival ahead of the next years elections.

Ukraine need to be presenting as positive a picture as possible to the West, due the possibility of waning support and war fatigue. Stuff like this doesn't help. It seems like he's gotten a bit fond of being President, meeting celebrities, appearing on magazines etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There are no "next years elections" as long as martial law is in effect which seems like a pretty relevant bit of information.

This what was suggested before the invasion an international coalition/Nato to impose a no fly zone over ukraine to prevent Russian aircraft and helicopters having access to ukraine,but this was denied, Nato Said no this will drag us into the conflict directly,

We need a separate coalition led by the eu or EU states who can send aircraft carrier to patrol the skies over ukraine,but even at that they won't likey engage Russian forces on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

I think the reason it failed was because Prigozhin thought he would be joined by many soldiers who were unhappy with the situation in Ukraine but these guys did not show up. They cheered Prigozhin on but didn't have the bottle to join him.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

There is elections due in October by all accounts ,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Parliamentary? The presidential election is supposed to be next spring, but I thought it was postponed (which caused plenty of furore when it was announced).

• Advertisement

Didn't get to finish my last post,

They are due in October and presidential later,they can suspend the elections under Marshal laws ,they may need to do something to keep their international backers happy, especially while demanding accession to both Nato and the EU ,if this turns into 5 year war as suggested by some they can't suspend democracy indefinitely,but demanding they be let into the eu and Nato skipping all of the normal processes involved in both

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The Swiss are nothing but money launderers for criminals especially the russians

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

According to the Ukrainian constitution there can't be any elections as long as martial law is in place.

"Article 19 of Ukraine’s martial law legislation specifically forbids conducting national elections. Thus, for Ukraine to conduct elections while under martial law would be a violation of legal norms that predate Zelensky and the full-scale Russian invasion."

They'd have to engage some Russian forces on the ground - namely the ones firing AA at the planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭amandstu

Ben Wallace is some kind of a ratbag

"UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says "people want to see gratitude" from Ukraine, in relation to Western aid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Ben Wallace is an arsehole. Possibly the least arsehole-ish of the current crop but that is a low, low bar.

If Prigozhin were to run it again, would it succeed? For sure, it has definitely left a deeply weakened Putin, But on the other hand, an awfully deeply suspicious and paranoid Putin, who will see mutiny every where he looks. if it does happen again, it will be a fully 100% committed mutiny with no hostages taken. And Putin will be the prime target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

I think the UBS rescue merger with Credit Suisse was quite telling in that it did happen relatively quickly under the guise of the greater good. Many would hold the view that it was done, with the support of the state, to keep the books in-house and the world's eyes away from just how much it was awash with Russian cash & assets.

Seems like that would be a natural consequence if the Russian aircraft in the sky couldn't deal with the extra planes in the sky, and the Russian MoD would want its airforce, such as it is, in the air as an added means of attempting to halt Ukrainian advances. It's difficult to see how a separate coalition could compartmentalise it as just going to establish a no-fly zone. That's certainly not to say that it wouldn't be correct to attempt, but it is to say that any hypothetical would have to do it while being prepared to become more deeply engaged in the conflict.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement