Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

It's up to you but yeah, I'd you don't want to pay then say no. They're buying the house as it is, which is what you valued it at.

It's unlikely they'll walk away over 2k I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

That's my thoughts too.

And they've already delayed us by about a month with other messing around, so my good will towards them is absolutely nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

once its transferred from the bank , ours arrived the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I agree just say priced as it is, I am not paying 2k.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Buying a new build house in a development has been something of a nightmare. The location, size, layout, price were all right and the show house looked great, but ever since first putting the deposit down last year they have just continually worn us down, from the strong arming to try and get us to sign at the beginning, to missing completion dates they gave us by 6+ months leaving us to swallow more interest rate rises, to finally getting to snagging stage only to find the finish quality throughout has been absolutely dire.

On our initial snagging visit, on a date they gave us, we hired and payed for a professional snagger only to find the house was still pretty much a building site with no electricity, boiler not hooked up, everything covered in dirt, some doors not installed, paving stones missing, among many things that were simply not ready to be snagged at all. Over multiple visits now (which haven't been easy to arrange because they are not at all accommodating about providing access) they've flat out lied about fixing issues and completing work that they simply haven't upon inspection, presumably hoping we wouldn't check, while in the meantime we're getting pressurised by their solicitor to complete the purchase of a house that just isn't ready at all.

If I ever buy another house I will be strictly looking at the second hand market.

• Advertisement

We have said no, via our solicitor, so will see what they come back with.

My view is what they do with the house after they buy it has nothing to do with us. Do work, don't do work, totally up to them but they buy the house as it is for the agreed price.

And it's the manner it was brought up too that has me fuming. They've sat on this damp 'report' (basically a quote done by some trade guy, not an actual building surveyor) for weeks, and now suddenly raise it at contracts stage and 2 weeks before we're due to close.

I'd honestly rather lose the sale than give in to it.

We were actually planning on offering them some stuff for free from the house; couch, washing machine and a few other things as they're first time buyers. Now I'd rather burn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well, as they are first time buyers, they are probably terrified by the damp issue! They think it needs doing immediately Because they were probably told that. Buying a house then paying a few thousand to do work has probably just scared them. I wouldn't be too harsh!

Buy a 100 year old house, expect a few issues that need to be sorted. Sorry but FTB or not, that should be plain as day to anybody buying property. If you want perfection, buy a new build.

Trying to put us on the hook for helping with their own costs is simply not on imo, especially this late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

tongue in cheek here but @quokula 's experience above would beg to differ :D new builds have just as many issues!

But I agree, asking ye to pay for the damp was a bit cheeky

In other news about the delight of buying a new home, today we discovered while mooching around the county council planning permission site that they have applied to effectively double the density of the next phase to allow for an extra 24 cars that will all pass by our house as their only access road. All the while continuing to lie to our face about their plans for the rest of the development.

• Advertisement

Buying a house is such a minefield, new build or second hand.

We're in about 10 weeks now and when I read/hear some stories I thank the magic man in the sky that, so far, all has gone well.

In fairness this is our second home (moving from 3 to 4 bed for growing family) and our first home was a new build that went like a dream so it certainly varies. Probably led me to a false sense of security this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

I too felt that all was going well. We were waiting on a closing date within the next two weeks. The conveyancing process had felt slow and antiquated but we were still confident in securing our new house this month.

But, today, we have found that a convicted sex offender lives next door. Indeed his crimes were with minors no less, and he's currently serving a suspended sentence. Safe to say that we will be pulling out ASAP. I'm absolutely dejected with the thought of having to start again but also somewhat relieved to have found out about this now.

My advice to anybody currently buying a house is to check every possible news source for info regarding your estate or street. In our own case, the above information wasn't available until recently. I had checked before submitting an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

Query specific to BOI mortgage - We went sale agreed few weeks ago, today I got an email from BOI mortgage team saying that I have a document to sign/review via DocuSign. It seems to be a Letter of Offer, unfortunately I can't read the document unless I say I will do it digitally. Which I would prefer not to do, without consulting my solicitor.

So is this "Letter of offer" the same as the "the Loan offer", that you are required to sign with your solicitor - which they told me is on the way to them anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluefox556

When we signed our letter of offer, we did this in person with our solicitor. We signed the copies she had recieved from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

Thanks For your reply. The DocuSign implementation seems very odd as you can’t read the document unless you agreed to do electronically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluefox556

That does seem odd. We were with AIB and could easily just download a copy of the offer from the portal in PDF format to read over.

Update, they've come back and waived the money they were looking for from us for the damp. 

BUT they now inform us that our estate agent had told them in writing that all white goods were included in the sale (which we hadn't said) so now we have to give them all those 😄

We've agreed just to get the thing over the line.

But will be nailing our estate agent for a reduced sales fee as a result of their c0ck up.

Good god I am never ever doing this again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Well it's official, after 12 long, stressful weeks we finally picked up our keys today. No more chasing, no more calls, no more stress - I hope I never have to go through the process ever again.

• Advertisement

I'm delighted for you and very jealous of your progress :D

It must feel amazing getting the keys and knowing you won't have to deal with anyone else now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Congrats! It took us 9 months, for reference.

When we got the keys I still kinda figured we'd be here 5 years tops, now 3 years later and I don't see myself bothering with the hassle of moving again anytime soon unless a dream place suddenly materialises

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

We have considered it and talked with the solicitor about it tbh. They're investigating the planning application further before we do anything else and we're continuing to push them about the many snagging issues in the meantime. But the point that the size, layout, location and price are right remains. If we could go back a year we'd probably do different but starting from scratch now feels pretty daunting - we've had a look around the usual property sites and there's no sign of anything else on the market that meets our criteria recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

They magically came back to life this week. Probably lost an alternative purchase bidding war. Now maybe signing contract on sale next week and if lucky my purchase might line up signing same week for myself then.

at least on mortgage side it’s super easy with Avant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Will be sending off the info needed for our loan offer next week! Everything is good except I’ve an unease about it for some reason!! Only thing was we had to borrow €2k to make up the booking deposit for the house as the EA requested €8k we only had €6k. Mother in law has a letter typed to explain and that it’s a gift.

but we will pay her back!

has anyone ever ran into trouble with their loan offer over this?

all they want is one month bank statement that our salaries are paid into. That’s normal enough yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

My experience was 3 months bank statements from all my accounts and a sum of the cash I had ready for the deposit.

• Advertisement

We did something similar, 3k loan from a parent and all it took was a letter and then no more problems after that

We're in an interesting situation now, we've got everything lined up with the solicitor for the house and is quite happy with all the documents but then the bank property team came back and said no to the property based on well issues. It's a shared well in a small (2 house) folio but we've all the documents to show we'd have access. We're chasing updated maps and more documents last week and hoping to try again with the bank this week, but would be glad to hear of someone else managing to overturn a bank decision on something similar?

Advertisement