Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Same here. It didnt activate smart meter when I registered with ESBN to see usage data. I was with energia at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Just to put some perspective on it for peeps, I did this up for a colleague earlier who is hoping for miraculous reductions in electricity prices this year:

The wholesale price has been pretty stable for the past 4 months but we are still a long way above pre covid.

Average wholesale price 10th April - 10th July 2019 = €46.86

Average wholesale price 10th April - 10th July 2023 = €112.52 (240% of 2019)

My 2019 rates with Energia

Day: 21.9c less 40% discount plus VAT = 14.9c

Night: 10.5c less 40% discount plus VAT = 7.15c

Compared with Flogas Rates 2023

Day: 33.38c (224% of 2019)

Night: 14.75c (206% of 2019)

2023 Wholesale

2019 Wholesale

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ACAandCTA

I was able to sign up for this online today, got confirmation of sign up accepted... Suppose I wait and see that they honour it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If true, the community offer didn't last long.

It's still available online? Wonder if they gave you incorrect information saying it's over. We are with Flogas but contract isn't up till September so can't move to that one yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I must say this whole flogas BWG and now community offer is very strange indeed. I'm not complaining cause I'm a heavy user at 8k ish units a year,

Both offers are far lower than the competition and not clickable from the home page on their website. You have to know the domain. The links go up and down often. Also often the "sign up online" button changes to "cal us for offer". Sometimes you ring and they say offer is over(yet link may still be there)

They don't vet to see that you work for BWG and now they changed the offer to be for everyone by calling it community, and still it's not navigable from their homepage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

it is not strange when you think the average person won't even bother their arse switching never mind doing some leg work to get a deal so the offer is there but you have to work for it, if it was easy then it would be on bonkers etc and flo gas wouldn't make the usual millions per annum

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Not strange at all, it's textbook case price discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pjq

POSITIVE Price Discrimination, for Bargain-Alerters on Boards.

When you show that the rates you're paying today are roughly in line with 2019, i.e. the same percentage increase as the wholesale, it's interesting but it makes the story appears simpler than it is.

Obviously, there is the hedging aspect, which means you should be looking at average prices over a longer period in the past than just the 4 previous months. And when you do, this "same %" story vanishes, and that's normal, because that's not how retail pricing works.

Wholesale prices are just a part of the retail price. Pass-through charges haven't doubled, so what does that tell us on commercial margins ? They don't need to double when wholesale prices double either, for the suppliers to remain profitable.

Lastly, what I think is important is that we may have a different picture today in terms of the distribution of the deals customers have.

Back in 2019, it was common to have 40% discounts. To simplify, the distribution was >80% non-switchers on standard rates, and <20% switchers on 40% off discounts.

Today, switchers are getting maybe 15% discounts. Maybe the number of switchers have increased, though. And these figures are linked, obviously, you can only offer a 40% discount if that's to a limited number of your customer base.

The question then is whether this new distribution will remain, and for how long.

On the Flogas offer, you're showing that they're good rates. They definitely are, as of today. My only concern with this offer is that it's a fixed rate for 12 months, and that it may gradually become less and less of a good deal over that period. I would favour a deal with similar rates (even slightly higher), but variable. And I would expect to see such a deal around this Autumn, when the first round of price drops should happen, with I hope also an increase in discounts for switchers.

Post edited by tx_tx on

The "discrimination" term in the "price discrimination" expression has no negative connotation. It means that customers will categorise themselves in different price points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

Is there a breakdown of wholesale prices for day / night kw?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Average wholesale price 10th April - 10th July 2019 = €46.86

Average wholesale price 10th April - 10th July 2023 = €112.52 (240% of 2019)

That is the price per MWh. Meaning the average wholesale price in kWh has gone up 6.566c but the unit rate you pay has gone up by 11.48c

In 2019 I was paying 27c/kWh on a 24 hour rate and now I'm paying 41c so that's an increase of 14c. Or more than double the wholesale increase. That's before you count the unjustified but uncontested increase in the standing charge we all got

Now I understand these companies need to make profit, such is the nature of how we sold off our nations electricity supply and provision but that's a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Our electricity supply wasn't sold off it was changed from a monopoly to a competitive market, I shudder to imagine what we'd be paying if the ESB were the only provider 😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

It might be a bit messy but who cares when it's saving you €100s? They can't officially 'vet' people for the offers as they have to let anyone sign up, so not openly advertising it on their website is the next best thing for them I guess.

It's also probably accidentally gained Flo a lot of new customers without starting a full blown price war with the competition. I guarantee Flo are not loosing money with the BWG rates so they're probably happy enough with the situation.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Considering the government gave everyone €600 last year to assist with the price of electricity, we would probably be paying less and it would be government subsidised. Electric Ireland (which is the commercial entity ESB became) made no profit last year on their residential business.

They gave the 600 when people were still on very good discounts from the various providers it's now they should be giving out that money. There's absolutely no way electricity would be cheaper now if ESB held the monopoly, why would they bother? I still remember ESB workers arriving with undisguised glee to people's houses to cut them off, when that happened you had to pay a hefty reconnection fee too. As for getting a new build connected.... Brown envelope job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

In terms of the Flogas BWG offer for 1 year Electricity standard what are the prices? I can link to this page for the offer, but can't see the actual prices:

Any pointers would be great? (read a few pages back but may have missed it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Got the contract up email from EI a couple of weeks ago. Finishes 08/08 I think. On a 29.38c (ex vat) unit rate. Home Electric+ Saver tariff. Smart meter and it's a smart tariff as far as I know. What's my best course of action for this year do ye reckon? See if EI will gimme something similar or chance one of those Flogas ones listed on the last page, Team Ireland @29.99c incl vat for example.

Around 500,000 residential customers switched last year out of around 2 million. So only 25% of people would be on the very good discounts (the actual figure being slightly higher because you don't necessarily have to switch to get the discount).

There are very few people in the world who would gleefully cut off electricity to somebodies home. It is a strange claim.

Considering the only government owned electricity company in Ireland who have a 50% market share operated with a 0% profit margin and legally would be unable to have that any lower, there's no evidence to support what you're saying. Its anti-government rhetoric and baseless. I dont believe any fact, figure, or argument will change your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

From what I can see there isn't any decent offers from Flogas that are currently available.

• Advertisement

And it would have made the subsidy better targeted than this blanket €600 for every household, regardless of energy consumption (size of household, holiday homes, dual fuel or electric only ...). I think we're better off with a competitive market in general, but last year's state intervention is one of the rare situations where a monopoly would have been more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would love to see this in writing. Can you post a screen grab please?

When you put the government in a position to decide on the price, they will set that price to maximise their personal political capital, by making the voter happy. That would be ultimately at the expense of the taxpayer, so in many cases it's the same person getting lower bills today and higher taxes tomorrow, but in practice, the trick works politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

My plan with BG is up on the 20th so I will try online then. Hopefully the girl I was speaking to was mistaken.

Why not try and switch now? You can set the switch date to be after the cooling off period which means you wouldn't be charged an exit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Did not realise that, thank you I will do that today after work, will keep this page updated to how I get on.

Obviously you weren't paying electricity bills back in the monopoly days, anyway enough has been said about it. I for one, am very glad there's competition in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

we all had the option to leave the credit on our accounts to be used at any time

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭con747

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is that available to smart meter homes? Don't see it mentioned anywhere on it so I assume it isn't.

Advertisement