Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Supervalu sell Kinetica Energy gels

High 5 / High 5 Caffeine would be the ones I would have used most - think Holland & Barrett sell them in shop and online. I get them in WheelWorx in Fonthill, near Liffey Valley.

Other posters may have alternative suggestions, they're the ones I've used

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can get high 5 ones in runhub. Work out about 2 euro each. Slightly more for the caffeine version, slightly less for the ones without caffeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would something like this on Amazon be any good?

Deal of the day for Prime Members: HIGH5 Energy Gel Quick Release Energy On The Go From Natural Fruit Juice (Orange, 20 x 40g) https://amzn.eu/d/68wfHOI

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

They've be fine. Bear in mind, some people take those with water. They can be quick thick to swallow. You can also get Iso gels which are like the gels above with water in them.

Dont be buying a box of 20 straight away. You might not need them. You might not like the taste. They may give you the runs.

If you want to try some, get a few of different types and see which ones work the best for you, dont rush it. Your race is 2 and a half months away, you've loads of time to try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Helllo! I did a 10k last night at a very slow pace and finished it in 1.02. Delighted with that and it felt very comfortable during it. Looking forward to Sunday now. Going to do an easy 3-4k today and then chill til race day! Eek! Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've tried 3 gels so far

• PowerBar Orange Hydro - Tasted very like Lucazade sport with salt added to it. These are the watered down style ones @event mentioned. Had easy to open packaging too. Negative is they are very expensive!
    • High5 Orange Aqua - Similar tasting, maybe a bit less nice and a bit less salty. But perfectly palatable. These are also the watered down style ones. Much cheaper than the powerbar option. Packaging is harder to open though. These are the ones I currently use, I bought a 20 pack from hpnutrition.ie, they were about €1 each
    • High5 Orange - Don't quite remember the taste, it was fine iirc, but I did not enjoy the texture of these at all while running. Very gloopy! I still have a couple of these here that I don't think I'd be too bothered even using, at least not in a training cycle as I'd prefer to practise with what I'm planning to use.

Elverys were selling some of them buy one get one half price, might be worth picking up a few different ones from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Clif Shot BLOKs are worth trying. There's a few in each pack and each one is small enough to lodge in your mouth and let it melt. Or you could just save a load of money and use jellies. 😀

They were handing out jellies about half way through at kilkee on Saturday and I was so tempted, but I had never tried running with jellies and "nothing new on race day" 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I've ran 7 half marathon events so far this year. Some have been using tailwind, some gels (sis) and one or two with nothing apart from jelly babies. I don't think I have ever done a run without the jelly babies. One would easily last me 20 minutes when I'm running, and probably 20 seconds when I'm not 🤣.

Most of my runs are are finished in the high 1hr50m and I still am unsure if they help. My next HM is the 3 Province 5th August and I might just try the jelly babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You probably know this already, but there's been a significant amount of research showing that simply rinsing a carbohydrate drink for a few seconds and then spitting it out increases performance and lowers perceived exertion in high intensity endurance exercise.

The human body is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

No, but I will try that as well 🤣. I only really learned about the gels and stuff from here or from Healthunlocked after I did my c25k a couple of years ago. It's probably all marketing hype I think. But you get to a stage where you believe it all and almost panic if you have not go the vital supplies for the next long run.

I think for a half you probably need max 1 gel. So long as you eat ok the day before, should be plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

58:08! delighted with myself :)

thanks all! Now to book another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Well done. Was a nice course and great weather.

What do people class as a slow/long run pace when doing a 10k ish distance?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's different for everyone. In general, easy pace is a pace you can run comfortably and chat with someone as you go and ideally, feel like you could keep going for a couple of hours (depending where you are on your running journey). If you have a recent race result to go on, you can calculate from that using the various pace calculators out there but really you should try to figure it out by feel. I disagree that it depends on your goal time, that's your race pace rather than your easy/long run pace.

Yeah I understand that, based on the above that pace for me would be about 6.20ish but I'm wondering if that's too slow and I'm wasting my time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Hey, have you recently recorded any race times that could help estimate your approximate pace?

When I first started running more seriously, I used a very general guideline: Marathon pace plus a minimum of 60 seconds, or 5K pace plus a minimum of 90 seconds. As you continue running and participating in races, you'll have more opportunities to refine these ranges with the help of tech based on factors such as effort level, route characteristics (hilly, trail, track), training plan, weather conditions, and even the shoes you wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

No, you are not wasting your time. For all training plans and to get a good base of running you need to be running a significant majority of your weekly mileage at easy pace (like 80%). This builds your aerobic engine and you then put some specific goal race pace on top of this. Not know your equivalent times for race but 6.20ish doesn't sound slow to me generally. The group of novices marathoners in the mentored thread would have a lot of runners going easy at that pace. Also it's kinda a misnomer about easy "pace" it's really easy effort, so as Annie says, it's a conversational pace, no deep breathing, very comfortable running.

• Advertisement

MisterJinx beat me to it, exactly this 👆️

Are you training for something in particular? How many days running do you do and how often are you running at other paces (speed intervals, race specific paces etc).

Dublin half marathon.

3 days per week. Long run just once week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's also an injury risk management (reduction) bit to it, plus lower heart rate, allowing the body to recover from the harder days, etc. The 80% low intensity/20% high intensity pie chart graphic does the rounds because it works and to get faster you need to go slower first or have a good bedrock of easy. Easy or slowing was drilled into us early on in the 2016 novices thread - my first marathon. In those days, I'd have been 11:30 minute/miles. I'm a little quicker on those now, but still quite slow and probably more 10:30 min/mi or sometimes 9:45-11:10. Just getting the hang of kms at the minute and tonight's 11km was at 6:38km - all easy runs are in that range or a touch either side of it. If you look at this - spoiler alert - post-DCM 2016 series of plans you'll see a lot of easy days and chunks. It's really this that'll carry you over the line to an extent. As I said in last year's novices thread, I don't need to look at the watch to do an easy run, or even afterwards syncing to the phone. It really does become second nature. Spot on from @MisterJinx to think of it as it more effort than metric driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I does be in agreement with all of this too and wish you to know it. Another thing to add - if you are adding into base (low intensity/effort) runs the approx 20% of higher intensity (or 15% mid & 5% really hard) you'll find that you have to run easy anyway on the 80% as your legs will be tired and want to recover!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I recommend getting a plan to follow. The black Oil has liked to the boards plan which has a HM plan in it. There are also plenty of HM plans online. If you are only running 3 days a week then 2 of those run should be at easy effort and then on one of the runs you can add a little pace to them during that run, not for the whole run. There are others on here who could probably advise better on plans to follow and might chip in.

I do have a coach on garmin and following the plan. On the long runs though it just mentions easy pace and I thought my easy pace of 6.20 ish was too slow but sounds from this thread that it is fine.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thing is "easy" is a relative term so using actual metrics like pace is too specific individual. For me, 05:30 to 6ish per KM keeps HR at <120, and perceived effort to be extremely low (feels like I could run forever at that pace) whereas for others that could be slower or faster

For example, yesterday I did hill repeats up Slievenamon, legs are mildly tired this morning so my easy pace was about 6:00 over 15km with approx 330m climb; HR was mostly in Zone 1

Anyone elses toes start going numb during a run? Has happened me a few times once going above 10k.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This came up somewhere else recently - one possible reason is to tight laces, also consider what socks you're wearing and if they're restricting that part of your foot.

• Advertisement

You know you have a problem when you start finding unused running gear that you completely forgot you bought! Anyone else do this?!

I just found two ASICS tops and a pair of shorts in my "doesn't fit me yet" box that I had completely forgot about! So it was a nice surprise from past me.

Advertisement