Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Faster with cards too. All the big stadia are set up for card transactions now. Cash just slows everything down.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The pints in the O2 Arena werent cheap either

£8.50 for a pint of Bud in a cardboard cup

Must try get a 'real pork pie' somewhere too

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I had a pork pie at Anfield and it was really nice.

I think Wembley do the reusable plastic glasses so they’re not too bad.

• Advertisement

They do indeed, not quite as bad as the old plastic pots.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Somebody called with this recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Hi All, back from my summer holliers and catching up! Massive congrats @Loughc & Mrs. Loughc! Love hearing a bit of baby news!

Hard to believe that it's the middle of July already! The year is flying past. I've started my Christmas crochet - a blanket for myself. I've had to put it on pause to do a stuffed dragon for my cousin's baby but itching to get back to it. We also have our annual Christmas in July family gettogether this weekend, looking forward to it. My Dad always dresses up as Santa and gives the grandkids little presents from the pound shop. They (and he) love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was only thinking last week that now is the right time to start on a Christmas crafting project, the next 5 months will fly in. I'd love the idea of a Christmas crochet blanket, the only problem is that I can't crochet... What type of blanket are you doing?

Oh you could easily learn - there's loads of tutorials on YouTube! It's not that difficult & unlike knitting, you only ever have one stitch on the hook so if you make a mistake, it's easily ripped back, no worrying that you missed a stitch 😀

I'm doing a mosaic crochet blanket with different sections. I've done Christmas Trees & Baubles...on to candles now!

I drove to Kildare Village this afternoon. I spent about 20 minutes there. It's not the same when it's not Christmassy. It was also very clammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Agreed, I was there a few weeks ago and I thought the same. Hard work in the heat. Didn't buy a thing except lunch.

That sounds lovely! And you'll have it for years.

I have heard it's easy to learn and I've done some knitting before, but never crochet. Maybe this is the year to learn.

Heading home from holidays today and am actually looking forward to some relief from the heat and humidity. I've realised as I've gotten older my ability to deal with it has diminished somewhat and it can feel very oppressive at times.

I'm sure 24 hours back home in the rain will have me regretting that statement however 😆

So, holidays out of the way, what's next to look forward to I wonder 🤔 😉

I can't blame you, some of the temperatures being reported from central Europe this week are crazy. 18° where I am today, bit of cloud, bit of sun, probably a bit of rain later on. Typical Irish Summer weather!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

I hear you about central europe. Currently (10.45pm) sitting on a balcony on budapest and it's down to mid 20s. Have had between 30 and 34 for the past few days, including an extra hour of a delay on a badly air conditioned train from Vienna last night when it was still 31 when we finally got in at 9.30pm!!

But here's a few Christmas pics from around the place. Picking up a budapest bauble in the morning before we leave.

Anywhere doing 'Christmas in July' or is it just a bit of a urban myth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Congrats @Loughc ! ..we have 3 Xmas birthdays in this house lol.

Just about finished the two kids Christmas presents and it's not even the end of July lol.

Taking them to Disneyland Paris for part of mid term break in February. Will get something small and make up some mock airline tickets or something to give them on Christmas morning.

Got flights to Paris Orly for just under €100 each so am delighted.

Not everyone will agree but we find they get enough stuff from family etc on the day itself, they'll get something small from us and then have something in Feb to enjoy (long after the usual plastic crap has been forgotten lol).

They're a bit older now so can remember the experience.

Aw fab, @Sheep Shagger, they'll love that! And so will you!

@PTH2009, not sure if places are doing Christmas in July per say; I see a lot of the yarn & fabric shops that I follow on Insta are doing it with Christmas fabrics etc...think it's just to remind people that now is the best time to start Christmas makes & not two weeks before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

We have 3 Xmas birthdays here too and we did disney in Jan this year. If you haven't already done so I'd recommend joining this Facebook group for fantastic tips and advice for when you go and when you're planning the the trip.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/323416798202011/?ref=share

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Big congratulations @Loughc, wonderful news. Hope your wife is doing ok.

Just back from 11 days in Lanzarote and it was really hot for the last few days of the holiday. Got to bed at 4 this morning and I've spent the last while this morning reading all the Christmas related posts on here and it's been brilliant, this is def the best place on the internet.

After coming from a sunny climate the weather this morning is like winter alright 😄

Almost halfway through July already and once August kicks in we definitely will really start to see Christmas on the horizon, was wondering do Harrod's still open their Christmas shop in June anymore? They used do it years ago, maybe before Covid?

Well, be careful what you ask for re: the weather... some change to be waking up to this wet miserable morning from what we woke up to yesterday...

Still, glad to be home, we had a car crash of a holiday compounded by my son leaving his cul camp bag with his new tablet and mobile phone at Dublin Airport last night. Checked with lost property this morning and no joy unfortunately so looks like someone helped themselves to it and didnt hand it in, definitely the holiday that just kept on giving 🙁

Roll on Christmas I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Ah no way, hopefully the young lads stuff might turn up yet 🤞

Sorry to hear about the holiday not being 100%, we didn't have it all our own way ourselves, disappointed with place we stayed in, standards were not good enough. But as we said when we were over there, we didn't do enough research.

Your right. Let's get this Halloween nonsense out of the way and Roll on Christmas!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh no, that's bad luck DvB. 😵‍💫

Sorry to hear that. At least those items can be replaced

on a funnier note I lost a bag of White Oreos from Duty Free a few weeks ago. Some twat is enjoying them now with there cup of tea 😄. Bloody thing probably fell out of the bag under a seat somewhere

Oof hard luck @DvB! Any possibility of putting a claim on your travel insurance?

• Advertisement

100% I'll be claiming off the insurance. Worst they can do is say no.

Advertisement