Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If it is criticising itself and the behaviour of it’s members why would you have issue with anybody else criticising?

The old supremacy is hard to leave down?

Those days are gone. People have every right to criticise abhorrent behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

If you could follow their lead a self criticise some of you own culture. But somehow I think republicans lack that courage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

She said that a year ago about the troubles which are now 25 years old. But if you want to use that as get out of jail card for TODAYs bad behaviour go ahead. Lets face those types will find any excuse for hatred. But they're being left behind in a changing and more progressive society.

Your refusal again to deal with the actual post.

Deflect and pivot.

On self criticism and awareness. Here is what any responsible leaders should be doing.

Wihout a shadow of a doubt the Unionist political leadership is demonstrably a long way behind in moving people away from the tradition of bonfires into more productive activity.

https://www.niyf.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Republican-Bonfires-Report-July-2019.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Sure I'm being criticised for not condemning burning of effigies of Kate Hoey (which, from what I can see never happened), and for condemning the burning of specific effigies of Michelle O'Neill, even though I didn't mention her at all.

The deflection is strong today. Awful lot of, 'No True Scotsman' fallacies to defend the indefensible and the usual Blanch landing in just to take the opposite point to whatever SF say.

do you accept that most in the unionist community are appalled that a senior politician can say that there was no alternative to the murder of our men women and children? Can you imagine if the pm had said there was no alternative to eg Bloody Sunday? Instead he said it was unjustified and unjustifiable. That would have been a reasonable phrase for Mon to use about the murder of kids by an organisation her party is closely aligned to.

had the pm said it was unavoidable then I would have felt it was a fairly soft understandable response if the people of Derry had put an effigy of him on a bonfire along with a few para flags.

you need to try to understand the other point of view occasionally

It might surprise you but I actually think this should be taken with the humour it was intended. I don’t believe these guys should be disciplined but I guess the will lose their jobs in this pc mad world.

Don’t know why the link won’t work

It’d would be hilarious if those burning effigies and flags had the hypocrisy to be upset.

I don’t think anyone other than the media is getting agitated about it. But francie you just don’t get it. For republicans to taunt a unionist community, that they are in working in, with support for an organisation that has carried sectarian murder in that community; well that is a darn sight more serious than burning a politician’s picture. But we’ll not agree on that.

they look like two ordinary blokes with families at home. Who just had a silly moment. I think it should be dropped. Fortunately for them Nolan is on his holidays

• Advertisement

It’s not a competition downcow.

You don’t find it serious and find it funny yet you posted it here. Strange behaviour tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I get why people from all communities dont agree with what Michell O Neil said last year but what has that to do with the guiding William of Orange from the Boyne to Antrim? Unless you are admitting that these have turned into hate fests that break UK hate crime laws.

twisting again. I pointed out that I think it was just a silly prank and was saying no action should be taken, but you had to start the whataboutery with Mon. So my second point is that if you inferring burning a poster of a politician is somehow worse than chanting up the ra in a loyalist area, then we’ll disagree.

but people need to get thicker skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, I don't think the Paisley and O'Neill cases are analogous. I deplore what O'Neill said, but it's not as directly in point as Paisley turning up at the Lewes bonfire which was actively trying to to rid itself of anti-Catholicism so that he could try to associate the event with his own anti-Catholic bigotry. This was a direct attack on the event itself and what they were trying to do, so you have to expect the event organisers to make a statement of some kind in response to that, and this was the statement that they (predictably) made.

My Kate Hoey comment was of course tongue-in-cheek. But what SF symbolises to the unionist community is, of course, SF's attacks on the union. But the brute fact is that Kate Hoey and her cohorts have been attacking the union to much greater effect than SF ever managed, and if unionists are only willing to criticise Irish/Catholic/Nationalists for attacking the union, but are silent or supportive of British/Protestant/Loyalists who attack the union, then in truth it isn't about the union at all; it's about exacerbating and entrenching communal divisions in NI.

huh?

Where did I say anything about MoN when you mentioned this?

And I see you quickly escalated it to 'chanting in Loyalist areas'.

The lad was 'chanting' was he? 🙄

I deplore what O'Neill said,

I think Unionists, badly in need of a 'themuns' distraction at the time, leapt on that statement like manna from heaven.

What was really wrong about that she said?

The fact was that the situation was allowed to exist, as it has done in everywhere from S.Africa to Ukraine that people felt they had no alternative but to violently resist.

It is normal rather than unusual behaviour in people who are subdued by a dominant power. The men and women of 1916 would have felt there was no alternative either.

O'Neill didn't say that people felt they had no alternative but violence; she said that there was no alternative but violence. Big difference.

There was an alternative — non-violence. And it wasn't unknown or hidden; it was pursued by many people including e.g. John Hume.

You are misquoting,

She very clearly prefaced it with 'I think'. It was a personal opinion in other words.

“I don’t think any Irish person ever woke up one morning and thought that conflict was a good idea, but the war came to Ireland, I think at the time there was no alternative, but now, thankfully, we have an alternative to conflict and that’s the Good Friday agreement.”

The fact is many did think there was no alternative.

In any conflict/war situation you will have those who 'think' differently. The existence of those who think diferently is not unusual.

Francie I quoted the paper exactly, so maybe it’s utv you need to challenge if you think he wasn’t chanting

This crazy dancing on the head of a pin. So you are really trying to convince us that she was including the violence of the army on Bloody Sunday? Now you are stretching it

• Advertisement

She said that she thinks there was no alternative. That's very different from saying that others thought at the time that there was no alternative.

Her statement means that, in her view, there was no alternative. But her view is demonstrably wrong; there was an alternative. And it looks very much like a justification of the actions of those who, at the time, declined to pursue that alternative. Which is controversial.

Of course in any society, whether or not there is a conflict/war situation, people can think differently. But that doesn't mean that all that all beliefs are equally valid or equally true or equally defensible, or that people are immune from criticism for the beliefs they hold and express.

I deplore O'Neill's belief because it's a false belief, and an obviously false belief, and a false belief that justifies a lot harmful actions that need not have been taken.

Perhaps you should make your own mind up before repeating what a news outlet tells you?

Just saying.

At last we can agree. Certainly it was a personal opinion. If that is your way of saying she was wrong then that is very helpful and to be commended.

those that ran into loughinisland pub near me and murdered 6 Catholics, thought they had no alternative. I completely understand why they thought that, but I completely disagree and condemn their actions.

I was waiting to see if any of you guys would reference the info coming out since last night of the photoshopping of bonfires to place posters etc on them, but looks like I’ll wait.

I have to be honest and say that the ones coming out so far seem to be alliance connected as opposed to sf.

You couldn’t make it up, alliance are jealous of how many posters the shinners get on our fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You argument is self-defeating once again.

On the one hand, you are presenting the Orange Order as unreconstructed bigots, on the other hand, you are quoting internal discussions around reform.

I cannot think of a conflict/war situation in history where some people didn't 'think' there was no alternative and others thought there was.

e.g. You had the alternative of staying in the shipyards or going to fight in the war. Many stayed, many went.

You had the alternative to not take part in the 1916 Rising, many didn't, many did.

Simple fact was, many didn't see John Hume's approach as an alternative. In fact many many people in NI will tell you that Hume's approach and that of the SDLP would never have achieved what they have now.

Harsh facts, but facts all the same, whether you agree with them or not.

I agree with you. Her statement remains incomplete.

A statesperson would say that she would have thought at the time that there was no alternative, but on reflection and with perspective it is clear that the whole IRA campaign was unjustified, unjustifiable, morally wrong, and caused too much damage and hurt to ordinary people and that on behalf of the political party that supported it, she wants to unreservedly apologise to the people of this island and that Sinn Fein will do its part in using its vast wealth for reparations to those and their families damaged by the PIRA campaign.

Now that would be the right thing to say and do.

You miss the point. I have already accepted that people had different views about this. But O'Neill wasn't saying that people had different views; she was expressing particular view of her own — a view that I think was clearly wrong, can be criticised, and is difficult to defend. It is certainly not defended simply by saying "it is her view, and other people seem to have shared it".

Yes, but everyone can see now, with hindsight, that the John Hume approach was always the correct alternative. Nobody in SF has ever acknowledged that.

• Advertisement

Did the document include them dropping their constitutional discrimination against Catholics?

Nope.

So still unreconstructed bigots I'm afraid who are embarrassed by the behaviour of their members on the streets of NI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement