Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Rubbish. The Irish people are not Americans who will go up and start abusing people, apart from the odd fruit loop but the chances of him meeting them in Killiney(which I think he lives in) is minimal.

In regards to letters :-) who even sends letters anymore. They are reduced to only used for legal documents. Who are they writing to? Ryan Tubs, RTE? they won't have his home address so how is he getting them? is RTE delivering post from the office out to him?

Even my mother who is 70+ doesn't write letters anymore and sends emails.

It's not logical at all. It playing the "mental health" card which they all play when the **** hits the fan. He was always going to fire up something like that to get some sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Was absolutely no need to the politicians to throw praise at Ryan, no need for Ryan to thank them, their dogs etc for tuning in. Wasted valuable time. Too many repeating questions. Why couldn't they all meet together and draw up list of questions. Some intelligent questions. some absolute clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

What is that about?

There are plenty of reasons to rant about Tubridy and his style of presenting, but what in the world is that nonsense about following him into a shop to video him and ask him that shite? I think I would happily help Tubs out there with an accidental trip or something. That is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This is what RT's opening statement yesterday reminded me of 👇. His attempt at saying sorry for the hurt he caused his work colleagues was pure bullshit and part of the firefighting to save RT at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Didn't RT thank one of the TD's yesterday for the kind letter he sent?

If you're telling the truth the answers stay the same.

You never elaborate or look for affirmation.

A talented experienced interviewer should have handled the situation better.

Check out the Behaviour Panel on youtube for insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Don't waste your time when this is the level of drivel the poster follows on Twitter and reposts here.

Mazars has been appointed by the Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media as the forensic accountancy service to examine the accounts of RTÉ.

Catherine Martin is making the appointment under Section 109 of the Broadcasting Act, which enables her to appoint a person to examine the books or other financial records of RTÉ.

The department said that the accountancy firm will initially look into the organisation's barter account through which payments, which were not publicly declared by RTÉ, were made to broadcaster Ryan Tubridy.

It will also examine any other off-balance sheet accounts.

However, if the need arises the scope of Mazars' inquiries can be expanded further by the minister.

"The appointment of Mazars as forensic accountants is a very important step in getting to the facts in RTÉ and shedding further light on the issues which have surfaced in recent weeks," said the minister.

The move follows the earlier appointment of two expert advisory committees by the minister and it is expected that the forensic accountant will collaborate and share findings with these committees.

One committee is to look into the governance and culture of the organisation, while the other is to examine contractor fees, human resources and other matters.

The minister said this evening that Stephen Smith is to join the Expert Advisory Committee on Governance and Culture.

Mr Smith is a chartered accountant with over 25 years' experience of working at board level as an executive, non-executive, adviser and auditor with major public, private and charitable sector organisations.

He will join the previously announced committee members, who are chair Professor Niamh Brennan, Professor of Management at University College Dublin, and Dr Margaret Cullen, governance adviser to the Institute of Directors in Ireland.

While the minister also said that Liam Kelly is to join the Expert Advisory Committee on Contractor Fees, Human Resources and other matters.

Mr Kelly is a career civil servant and former Director General of the Workplace Relations Commission.

The other members of that committee who had previously been announced are chair Brendan McGinty who is a leading expert in people strategy and employee relation, as well as Patricia King, a former General Secretary of ICTU.

"These expert committees will oversee the independent root and branch examination which will play a key role in restoring trust in RTÉ," the minister said.

The department said the committee memberships are now complete and Minister Martin hopes to meet with them early next week.

The procurement of advisory services to support the reviews is currently out to tender and the department said they are expected to start work in August.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes indeed, cheque books and contracts at the ready.

I wonder will Renault be waiting at the airport for him too... oh no, wait... 😁

• Advertisement

Brilliant.

That would be a great campaign. He would not be able to leave the house.

He said all the letters were "Ryan Tubrity, Dublin" and an post were brilliant for delivering this support from his partisan public.

Yes - just send those bills to RT.

What a dope even mentioning that yesterday and not seeing the BACKFIRE of it.

Dumb as a bag of hammers.

Well, I suggest you ask the person involved. Easily found I'd imagine. They're not shy about putting their stuff online. Best of luck with it. Enjoy.

Yes, Brendan Griffin if I can remember. Which from the conversation it seems Brendan Griffin had said Tubs has lost the his and his family trust. "kind letter"? didn't sound like it

Also a TD contacted Tubs is hardly the general public. You woudl expect they would have a link to him.

Its one big club and we anoint in it - period.

One thing which has not really been mentioned which I think was a disgrace and shows contempt for the whole procedure.

The documents getting submitted with a few hours before so more or less it was a joke with a lot of TD's just coming up with standard questions and not having a chance to review everything

That was a plan from Tubs and Kelly and should have not been allowed. They should have given at least 48 hours beforehand. It was pointed out by one TD about the weeks Tubs prepares and they got hours.

Another example of Tubs and Kelly trying to hide. Along with the legal council of course, plus the not answering questions etc

Right, But obiviously people do write letters.

I don't see why this such a hard thing to believe.

RT is a huge celberity in Ireland. If he deserves that or not is another discussion.

But a celeb "in trouble" getting "fan mail"

It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility is it?

So it's a number pulled out of the air and has no resemblance to what people earn in the industry.

If people want reform in RTE then coming up with silly irrelevant numbers don't help at all. It's a sensible reform we need to make sure it happens. Otherwise it will die very quicklt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭archfi

Well, after recovering from that 6 hours yesterday here's my thoughts

RT will be back on RTE in some fashion. Bakhurst, the new DG (a good acquaintance of RT's) gave as much ahint of that as he could yesterday.

While I do not rate RT at all, I understand there are lots of listeners that like him and his stylee. I've even given him a thumbs up in the past while on the RT thread (about twice I think) and I have heard from at least three people I know who met him that he is a very nice man and that includes a brother who cannot stand him!

I do agree the focus should be on dismantling RTE because as suspected, it is rotten throughout it's management structures.

But, I have big concerns on what politicians will extract/impose outwardly or by the backdoor. I'm a firm believer that a PSB should not promote/propagandise on behalf of ANY govt agenda nor internal employee committee agendas nor activist journalists agendas nor so-called 'civic society' NGO agendas.

Basically, RT will be back in some form. RTE should be just a PSB - any commercial arm should be completely separate entity, not funded by tax, survive (if it can) by advertising and/or a paywall. Arts funding (with payback) for tv channel drama etc can go to the new RTEflix, VMTV and TG4

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

A TD writing to a TV presenter before a PAC meeting would be official communications would it not?

RT is a celebrity, nobody is denying that. But first saying he cannot leave his house in leafy south Dublin to then claims of all the letter of support if just waffle.

Along with all the other prepared comments about the Irish people, the money not changing him etc. Little snippets pushed in with no relevance because he had paid someone to come up with them. Might as well get value for his money after all, or sorry the tax payers money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think the letter was when he left the LLS but open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Yes, this was a disgrace. Professionals my foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭CH3OH

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

BOK not attending tomorrow as she has nothing further to add and MD is "not in a position to attend.

I wouldn't have though TD's would be writing to every witness invited to a PAC meeting discussing how they're family is feeling about them no.

Sounded like a personal letter from Griffin.

Regardless of where one lives I imagine it's very difficult when there's a massive media lynch mob out for you.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

No idea, just seemed to reference that he had lost the trust of the TD and his family. Tubs said he hoped to regain their trust.

It was clearly a plan. The more time the TDs and staff had to review the better questions they could come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But that isn't entirely accurate, and yes I watched the entirety of both hearings.

For example, one politician asks "Why did you put consultant on those invoices and send them to a UK company?" Answer - "We acted as instructed by RTE".

The next asks: "Did you not realise that this was very bad business practice?" Answer - "We acted as instructed by RTE"

"In hindsight, do you think it was a good look to send those invoices?" Answer - "We acted as instructed by RTE"

"Can you see why the public might think these were fraudulent invoices?" Answer - "We acted as instructed by RTE"

"Do you want tea or coffee during the 10 minute break?" Answer - "We acted as instructed by RTE"

You can see my point. While some questions were repeated, a lot of them were repeated because no straight answers were given, and many others were on the same topic but were not the same question. "Did you send the invoices" is not the same question as "Do you think you should have sent those invoices", but they both got the same answer from Noel Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's also stupid to assume that if someone is 'on air' for 5 hours a week that they only work 5 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You are stretching all credibility by calling RT a celebrity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement