Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

More on Poland and leopard tanks,the poles are now saying Germany is too unreliable to supply tanks and spare parts hence why they are replacing their German tanks with American and Korean tanks ,and with Poland having the license to produce the K2 black panther they could well steal business from the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Have you a link to the January announcement? All I can find is an announcement in March about delivering 1mil shells to Ukraine over the course of a year and 2 months in to that (May) they announced 220k have been delivered so far.

Are you expecting the 1 million shells in a single delivery? It seems to be your go to position when there's talk about any shell production increase. 'The EU haven't delivered 1 million shells' despite being on target to.

I'm expecting 1 million shells as promised 7 months in and they haven't been delivered,they procured some ,but no where near what they promised or what ukraine actually needs ,

Sounds like excuses and trying to have an argument without anything to actually argue about..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I thought the Swiss authorities liked authoritiarian regimes, since since the Nazis they have allowed them to stash their wealth there.

It is not right to judge a country fighting for its survival in term of foreign invasion by the standards of a peacetime democracy. In World War 2 would-be collaborators like Oswald Mosely were interned.

They have been holding a lot wealth for a lost if countries for a long time not just the Nazi's, pretty sure you can find list of despots going back over a century or several who used swiss banks to hold their and others stolen wealth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yeah, but you conveniently ignored the first paragraph where you were questioned about your January reports and then doubled down on your wrongness in your reply. It was first reported on 20th March. Go look online yourself for sources and provide those for January that you claim exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

As promised....

They announced back in March their plan to supply Ukraine with 1 million shells by March 2024. 2 months into that 12 month timeline they announced they had delivered 220k ( on track for 1mil over 12 months) But you expect the entire million by now?

And you use that as evidence/asumption that 6 factories in the US and EU plans to deliver 3 million shells to Ukraine by the end of 2024 as unbelievable?

They were promised 1 million shells for 2023 7 months in and they are nowhere near that ,but expect 3 times that next year , when do the discussions begin

Nope. Wrong yet again. It was 1 million within 12 months, and that only started 100 days ago - not over 7 months as you keep incorrectly stating. There are over 250 days left to meet the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

We lost Gatling to the dark side a few months ago unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sigh, there is so much silliness and inherent contradictions (as usual) from that "Visegrad24" source (and/or Polish govt. members!).

Not a snowball's chance in hell IMO Poland will "give" (get the EU to fund donation of) that amount of tanks to Ukraine before they have the replacements ready. They may go in batches as they get new ones or something.

Also, if they are useless and Germany cannot provide the spare parts (so if they break down, well that is it I suppose), what use would they be for Ukraine during a very intense war? (some "gift" - ha, why would Ukraine even want them...?). That doesn't make much sense.

As you may remember Poland wouldn't leave their bottoms swinging in the wind somewhat by transferring 10-20 of these tanks (or whatever it was) all on their own before they also had several other countries lined up too [incl. Germany] and also before it was nailed on they would be getting other tanks (US ones afair) delivered very soon to replace them.

They will not just up & give the whole lot over to Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

When it comes to the EU level stuff (which you have been complaining about) you can always read the dry Europa website material (press releases, documents) about the progress of the ammunition procurement, from the horses mouth.

Maybe it is not happening as fast as one would like, but it is not all just made up by tweeters for likes.

Like ordering vaccines + medical supplies during a pandemic, this is all very new and, if one were looking into future from the pre. Feb 2022, a very unusual thing for the EU to be getting deeply involved in, so I may cut them some slack.

You sound like the other two,

Same person posting exactly the same as i did 9 + years ago on ukraine on boards.

Unlike a few I could mention

But in this case alot or whatever is been claimed in coming from Twitter,no actual facts I read on Twitter and if you disagree with me your a putinbot and paid Kremlin staffer,

Couldn't make it up if I tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

up to The moment the russian lines broke during the kharkiv offensive ukrainian progress in that offensive was slow

Until the russians pulled out of kherson that offensive was very laboured with heavy Ukrainian losses ,

Im just saying the laboured line of "how did the line collapse? Slowly, slowly then all at once !

Its a slog

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Whatever happened to you telling us Russians will be fertiliser in Ukraine and will not prevail to now telling us basically the opposite and how Russia will win this war?

Who got to you?

I don't think they would give those tanks once replaced in several years 3 + years time to ukraine, they could possibly sell them to the next Ukrainan government or sell them back to the Germans to use the hulls to build new ones or to resell to the next bidder for leopards,but they can't just gift them away, much like various claims that countries will give up large stocks of F16s when they don't have anything to replace them with yet or in the middle to longer term,

I get the feeling when the US Abrams and Korean Black Panters arrive in significant numbers the polish may put on a show using the leopards as live targets for their new modern tanks and Gunships, just to wind up Berlin

One of Europes biggest 155 ammunition producers on supplying ukraine and the 1 million shells promised .....

As I said previously 1 million shells isn't that likely to be delivered,yet now people are saying 3 million shells for next year seems research isn't a strong point theses days.

Where have I said Russia will win this war ,

barefaced lies

As I been saying for months Ukraine isn't getting the weapons and supplies it needs not this year and not next year,it's not getting the tanks , aircraft and most vitally ammunition,they need hundreds of thousands of artillery shells per month,they need in excess of three million shells,now not in three to four years time ,

• Advertisement

Well I've been reading about how the Russian lines have collapsed completely, they have run out of ammo, Men and tanks , helicopters and aircraft, but yet we've seen only minor gains in 6 weeks while taking heavy losses,

I agree with you it's not a sprint but they aren't moving alot and as many experts saying they have limited time to make large gain's before winter kicks in again and we're back to a total stalemate which is something that they need to avoid this can't turn into a 5 year war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Astartes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

So you think the polish government will act pathetically and destroy perfectly good tanks just to wind up the Germans while their neighbour desperately needs weapons? Well I wouldn’t put it past that horrid government tbh. The Germans could wind them by stop giving them money through the EU. They were the biggest winners last year with €11.5B while the Germans paid more than any other country. I wonder how many of their tanks the Germans paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume ukraine is aware of the "weather window "

They must also aware of their military limitations , hence not charging in with everything ,

But i'd agree with you, the russians are far from push-overs , they may be using mobiks in defense, but the rapid counter attacks seem to be well handled ..

Some morale seems poor but enough sections seem to fight on well enough ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The government are trying to manoeuvre themselves as the new top dog in Europe, people laughed at the idea 12 Months ago but now in the next 18-24 months will have one of the biggest and most powerful military force in Europe while painting Germany as an unreliable partner, while they are saying to their neighbors we will come to your aid we have built a new modernised military while Germany sits back with France while preaching nothing happens without out say so ,a Baltic coalition could get quite powerful in Brussels and Nato,

Polish ministers have already said that they expect to fight a war with Russia in the next 6-10 year's hence their substantial military modernising program, they have already gone above and beyond giving tanks , ammunition, vehicles and aircraft to Ukraine they are going to want something in return eventually and not just money, Poland has similar leaning towards certain values with journalism/democracy and LGBT rights as does Hungary and Russia and other right wing leaning countries ,

Poland is one to watch over the next few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

One of the fastest growing economies in the world and every time I visit it's a completely different place.

There's a reason you don't see many Eastern European builders in Ireland. They're all in Poland.

• Advertisement

They were purchasing wheels along with manufacturing them. Article is from April 10th. Still missing out on the 3 months (jan-mar) elapsed prior to the pledge that is strangely included in your timeline. As identified, 220k shells were delivered in 2 months. That is 22% of the total delivered in 16.67% of the time allocated. There is 71.31% of the specified time remaining to deliver at max 78% of the shells. I say at max 78% because there may have been shells delivered since may that I’m not aware of.

So we will see how things are closer to the specified time of within 12 months closer to the end of it (March 20, 2024). It’s your completely incorrect timeline resulting in a Chicken Licken response that people have queried. January 1st to March 20th 2023 are not part of the official timeline so the sky is not falling in yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The commander of the 47th (the guys attacking at Robotyne) resigned his command as a protest about how it was being used and now a public spat is taking place.

Not a good look for Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭rogber

You were one of the very people proclaiming loudest last year that Russia faces total defeat, the end is imminent, Putin is finished, ammunition runs out in two weeks, etc etc and everyone who disagrees is a Russian stooge.

Your posts now actually are more realistic, but like others I am baffled by your total shift since spring this year

A summit like a summit, there will be weapons, the country will not be abandoned, we will dominate Russia - what else is needed? You need to win. Now, the reserves of the paratroopers have increased and their counterattacks are underway in many areas. They threw a lot of reinforcements at Klishchiivka and Berkhivka. So far it's difficult.

The Russians have apparently brought up reserves to counter attack the flanks at Bakhmut.

A Russian commander complains to Gerasimov and is dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Are you suggesting Poland , Hungary and Russia could one day form some sort of alliance??? That’s absolutely ridiculous. The height of ridiculousness.

The hatred Poles have for Russia knows no bounds. It was something I was not aware of until they started coming here in large numbers after 2004. I thought it irrational and a bit over the top and holding on to old grudges at the time but I can fully understand it now. The history between Poland and Russia is brutal and deep. The red army allowed the Nazis destroy Warsaw in 1944 before they “ liberated “ it. Not to mention the 1939 invasion and katyn woods. There are few parallels in the world. Our own history with the U.K. is cordial by comparison especially in the last 100 years. They are absolutely never joining the same alliance. The only way that happens is when one subjugates the other in a forced Warsaw pact type scenario. There is more chance of Poland becoming the gay LGBT capital of the world than any sort of alliance with Russia.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

More on Popov

"Maj Gen Ivan Popov was the commander of the 58th Army, which has been fighting in the southern Zaporizhzhia region.

In a voice message, Maj Gen Popov said he raised questions about high casualty rate and lack of artillery support.

"It was necessary either to keep quiet and be a coward or to say it the way it is," he said.

"I had no right to lie in the name of you, in the name of my fallen comrades in arms, so I outlined all the problems which exist."

The voice message was posted to telegram by Russian MP Andrei Gurulyov, who is a former military commander and frequent commentator on state TV. It is unclear when the message was recorded.

Among the issues Maj Gen Popov said he highlighted to his superiors were the lack of proper counter battery systems to help repel Ukrainian artillery attacks, as well as a lack of military intelligence.

The commander said his dismissal was demanded by senior commanders - who he accused of treason - and approved by the Russian defence minister, Sergei Shoigu.

Russian military bloggers - often the most insightful form of information in the absence of official comment from Moscow - reported that the order to dismiss Maj Gen Popov had come from the head of Russia's armed forces, Gen Valery Gerasimov.

They said Gen Gerasimov accused Maj Gen Popov of "alarmism and blackmailing senior management" after he highlighted the need to rotate soldiers who had been in the front line for a sustained period of time and had suffered significant losses.

"The senior chiefs apparently sensed some kind of danger from me and quickly concocted an order from the defence minister in just one day and got rid of me," Maj Gen Popov said.

"The Ukrainian army could not break through our ranks at the front but our senior chief hit us from the rear, viciously beheading the army at the most difficult and intense moment."

The Russian defence ministry has yet to comment on the dismissal."

More and more cracks showing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Someone should tell him Moscow looks lovely this time of year.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Russia state TV suggesting genocide as a punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Seems most are going on about the chronic shortfall that Ukraine have with regards to artillery shells.

Russia and her friends are delighted that Ukraine are being limited to 1 million shells a year, if lucky. That's 2500 shells a day, a wasp sting rather than seriously supporting the counter offensive.

Europe needs to be serious in supporting Ukraine and it needs to be serious in rearming and getting ready for the other significant threats out there. Not the tokenism we have seen to date.

That will mean a lot more dead Russians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Negotiation...

Would be like the Jewish people of mainland Europe trying to negotiate with Eichmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There's a spite and hatred to it which is incredibly disturbing. Again and again we see Russians targeting Ukrainian civilian centres with absolutely no military value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg in the republics, ethnic Russians are not popular either, quite the opposite in fact. Don't be an ethnic Russian going against a local non-Russian in the local courts. For sure the balance will be weighed in the locals favour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet over and over again, we have those who would cry and plead that "both sides" have questions to answer; that NATO/US was to blame; that Kyiv was a corrupt den of nazis; that Ukraine should put down its arms; that we should think of peace, not war you guys. Putin would totally respect this country's autonomy - third time's the charm!

I've seen Russian vulgarity and cruelty over and over again, to the extent that if I did meet someone espousing their comfortable contrarianism, I'm not sure I'd stay civil in the face of ... well, a Western decadent mentality that thinks it knows better than the poor fúckers trying to push the barbarians out of their country. Thugs they're well familiar with from history.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

saw yesterday NATO announcing Ukraine will get membership and instead of 2 steps its now 1 step,now id imagine its going to be a big long step but i think its a mega-huge fcuk you to putin..which in anyones books is a good thing

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Advertisement

yet we still have posters going on about infinite Russian artillery barrels and ammo

Russia does not have infinite artillery, I have not seen a single poster claim this. You are arguing with people in your head.

However it is widely acknowledged that they have an approx 3x artillery advantage compared to Ukraine and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

Even as Russia run through their stockpile and reduce daily expenditure, they still have far more than Ukraine have. So if you take glee at 'yet another Russian complaining about lack of artillery', what do you think the Ukrainians are doing? They are complaining also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

@20silkcut Are you suggesting Poland , Hungary and Russia could one day form some sort of alliance??? That’s absolutely ridiculous. ,

The only thing that's absolutely ridiculous is you making that claim, you took 1+1 and some how got something spectacular in your mind for an answer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I was pretty shocked to learn about the state of new spares for the Challenger tanks, basically none available. This could be the reason they are being used so lightly.

Never said they would run out of Ammo in two weeks,my posts and position has always been the same, if they don't get the everything they need, Ukraine will struggle to make any serious gains ,this is exactly what we are seeing,they aren't getting the ammunition they need they don't have the armor needed either,100 tanks and 100 IFVs stretched across lines 1500km long do the math,they had 90 operational Bradley vehicles they lost 16 in a the first few days,they have regularly lost more over the last few weeks,yes America will replace them but that takes months , that's months where they don't have those vehicles to actually fight and make gains, three months of training was never going to be enough either ,

But if people want fairy tales stuff there's several who can help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Chronic underinvestment for 20 years across Europe in armies is catching up.

If Russia hadn't been so corrupt and it's army so mismanaged this crisis would be very serious for Europe, either way the same head in the sand approach would be taken.

Most of the armies in Europe will be significantly degraded in 5 years compared to now and most of the hardware given to Ukraine will not be replaced and the capacity to make it will be further diminished.

Every claim that Russia would run out of stuff has proved wrong or exaggerated. It is likely the same with artillery pieces and barrels. You can find predictions they would run out of barrels within a few months of the initial invasion.

At some point a rational person needs to acknolwedge that Western analysts either don't know enough about Russian capabilities/stockpiles/spares, or they are deliberately misleading to keep stringing people along that Ukraine will win any day now.

Just look at Sweden they literally kept on modernising all of their programs , land,sea and air,on limited budgets while the majority of Europe cut their defense budgets over the last few decades since the collapse of the Soviet union, yes the eu grew and prosperity grew across the block but that doesn't mean the threats went away,now Nato stores are running low with everything been sent to Ukraine which is all well and good but at some point decisions will need to be taken rebuild and re-equip Nato members forces or keep sending everything to Ukraine and Hope nothing else kicks off like Taiwan or Serbia and Kosovo and hope they don't get caught with there pants down

If Russia extends the black sea grain deal they will be offered to allow one of their sanctioned banks access to the swift payment system UN secretary general Antonio Guterres,

Very much unexpected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I once knew a girl who was an ethnic Russian who had grown up in Uzbekistan. From my understanding she lived in an area where most were Russians and as a result she didn't speak a word of Uzbek. I remember, I asked her about the Uzbeks and I'll never forget her reaction: "Pfft...they're barely humans". On a separate occasion, I also recall her saying "black people smell".

At the time I thought that it must just be her but now I have come to realise that those feelings are a lot more widespread in Russians in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement