Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clad or hide a low retaining wall?

Options
  • 12-07-2023 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I recently moved into a relatively new build house with a small garden. I've painted the fence and it brightened things up a bit but I don't like the look of the retaining wall under the fence (houses the other side are lower).

I am trying to find a simple solution to hiding it, I could get it plastered and paint it? I could do a raised bed the height of it so its hidden but that's more raised bed than I want and another project. I was planning on just doing a flat flower bed at the back of the garden.

Could I clad it with simple timber? Any advice on what to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

No offence but it looks a little odd. Could you raise the level of the lawn to hide the blockwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

Believe it or not your biggest issue here is you’re drawing too much attention to the fence and it’s detracting from the garden.

If possible render the rising wall with sand and cement. Then paint everything (fence panels, posts & wall) the same dark colour. This could be black or a very dark grey.

What this does is draw your eye away from the boundary and makes what’s around it more obvious. So believe it or not, your grass will actually look greener and more lush.

When you get around to planting a few climbers or possibly a tree it will look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Grey123

It does look odd hence why I want to "hide" it. I cant really raise the garden as it will be above the house and patio then. garden is about 8m long. I also don't have this issue on the left.

It seems to be a unique problem online!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd go with this idea and then figure out what you want to plant when you're more settled.

I see your point, since I painted the panels and posts the contrast is greater but it does brighten the garden. Is rendering the same as plastering? Is it DIYable? Wouldn't have any experience at something like that. Will have to think about getting rid of the white but could match the grey. Cladding might be too much attention.

My grass is another story...

• Advertisement

Plastering is not something you can diy unless you are very handy. If you get someone to do it take out the sod along the wall and plaster below the grassline. You can return the sod after painting for a neat finish.

That's a good idea. I want to reseed the lawn anyway. Now for another question. Is there an easy way to try and get a plasterer, last time was via a connection and it took 6 months for them to turn up. I'm worried its such a small job, may 1 foot high by 30 foot length.

That might be easier said than done in today's market. Just ask around locally to you.

If you are looking for tips on the lawn take a look at some videos on youtube. I follow Premier Lawns for good free advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

yeah, rendering is basically plastering on an outside wall. Pretty much the same thing.

If you have the time it’s something you could do yourself on this sort of job as the actual finish isn’t too important if you’re painting the whole thing black/grey. You also aren’t weatherproofing anything so it doesn’t have to be perfect. In thr current climate it’d probably be hard to get anyone to do such a small job anyway so if you’re up for it, give it a go and save a few bob.

You could also just paint the blockwork but be aware that it’ll drink your paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am trying to get a plastering job - a much bigger job than the op's - done for a couple of years now and haven't been able to get anyone. Two builders have looked at the job and said...its a job that needs a plasterer but we don't have anyone. Another plasterer was booked for about 4 months then cancelled three days before he was due 'too much work on'.

You could consider something like that thin stone cladding which you should be able to diy. The problem there is you will then have three different surfaces competing with each other, if you painted the white parts the same colour as the fence it would be less noticeable. Or you could screw horizontal batons to the blockwork and screw on vertical wood strips to echo the strips above. Again it would be less noticeable if the white were painted darker.

• Advertisement

I have decided to plaster it and after firing off some messages have someone lines up, fingers crossed. I will probable paint it white but have a flower bed in front of it at the back and maybe some pots on the wall along the side to break up the while a bit.

If the white looks odd I will go with the grey, I will know after I put on the primer.

Still looks poor, I can do raised beds with sleepers but that is probable a project for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Clad it with 2 x 1 treated battens laid horizontally (nice and level) with a small (10mm gap say?) between them. Just plug and screw directly to blockwork. Lash on some black fence paint. Give the blocks a quick coat of black paint or bitumen first. Bob's your uncle. Cheap, fast and will probably look grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭billyhead

You can't go wrong with white. Brighten the garden up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hashirshabbir

To clad or hide a low retaining wall in a small garden, a simple solution is to use timber.Use pressure-treated landscaping timbers that are at least 1" thick and have a tongue-and-groove joint. This will create a sturdy and weatherproof cladding that will last for many years.

To install the timber cladding, start by measuring the length of the wall and cutting the timbers to size. Then, attach the timbers to the wall using galvanized nails or screws. Be sure to leave a small gap between the timbers to allow for drainage.Once the timber cladding is in place, you can paint it or stain it to match your garden décor.

Advertisement