Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Now on Oireachtas tv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I don’t know what sort of payments TV3 make to their “talent” but it’s a very limited market either way in Ireland- RTE certainly have the opportunity to be more aggressive now with their negotiations for run of the mill presenters but the commercial realities still haven’t changed- so you lose a talent to the opposition for the sake of 50k or 100j?

Maybe that’s a decision they’ll consider but at the cost of potentially millions in lost revenue and handing that to the opposition?

Theres only a certain few in Ireland -the Tubridys Kennys Duffys Dempseys etc that can bring in sack fulls of cash - if you let one of those go, you’re essentially saying I don’t need all that revenue.

They’re paid sick amounts of money for what they do, yes- but I think RTÉ may be forced to keep paying similar amounts.

In terms of Kielty, he’s an unknown entity right now in terms of how he’ll perform- if TLLS does well, he’ll certainly be in a great negotiation position next time around- so he’s currently untested- I’d say that’s why his fee is quite low- but I was surprised just how low the fee was.

I think it’s the lesser “talent” that will suffer at the end of the day- negotiations will be more ruthless- take it or leave it offers will become the norm- possibly programming quality will suffer but maybe lesser paid new talent hungry to make a strong impression could emerge from this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Thats the thing, everyone goes on about how great Tubs is, yet him or none of his supporters want him out of RTE. Why? I can guess but would love someone, or even Tubs to explain. Nobody believe the "RTE are family" bullsh*t

They should have Tubs, Kelly and the executive at one meeting. Let them fire shots across the table at each others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭McFly85

Why should RTE have a cap, no exceptions?

If they were to have a presenter that’s wildly popular with the public and therefore helps bring in sponsorship money, why should they be in a situation to lose this person because they’re prohibited from offering a competitive salary?

RTE have completely mismanaged public funds which is the key issue. If they feel they should pay someone a certain wage they should be free to do so as long as they can provide clear evidence of it. And if revenues go down, then they should be able to negotiate a lower salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

As well as family, he also believes he has many friends in RTE....

Hahah RTE investigates.....

I wonder how many he treats like friends or have previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Lynch is already annoying me with his head nodding

They can have a cap on salary as I said and then links to advertising, so if a presenter is bringing in huge advertisements then they can get a percentage of that. Better than just paying someone a million and then wondering will anyone actually buy advertisement. That is what they do now and D'Arcy is an example of this is the wrong model

I already posted this numerous times on the thread. We now have people saying pay them all a max of 100k which is ridiculous. Now you want to pay someone 1m which is also ridiculous, well sorry if they bring in 100m of advertisement then fire ahead but not a basic salary

• Advertisement

One lad confirming he isn't fired

YET

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think "competitive salary" is the key point there. It's clear that RTE were paying a lot of the top presenters far more than a competitive salary, considering that those presenters were unlikely to have been able to get a similar salary elsewhere. A somewhat flexible cap to make sure salaries are competitive, but realistic, would be a good idea. As RTE themselves admitted in a previous committee meeting, RTE were essentially bidding against themselves with the offers they were making. Doing so is itself a mismanagment of public funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

RTE obviously as they think the world revolves around RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Noel Kelly was fibbing ???

Say it's not true !!

He seemed so trustworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Evidence already that Noel Kelly had a meeting alone with Dee Forbes, despite him saying that he had never met her alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭McFly85

I completely agree with that. Tubridy isn’t worth his wages because they are certainly over market value.

But reacting to Tubridys case with a cap on wages is an overreaction I think. It’s possible in future that RTE will have presenters that have actual offers from rivals/abroad, and RTE need to be able to compete with those offers. Maybe a mechanism needs to be put in place that any offer over a certain amount would need to go through a PAC review so they can be satisfied that it’s an appropriate and competitive offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This "he brings in so much advertising revenue" line is very debatable.

I think advertisers need to advertise. They will do it at certain times of the day to hit certain demographics. Are they advertising just cos Tubs is there? I'm not so sure. Do they pull their adverts when Tubs take a week off? No they don't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I had the same thought. He ran rings around RTE for years. What we the great unwashed got to see of him, on Tuesday was very much less than impressive.

So is he the clever agent who looked out for his clients by squeezing all he could from RTE for them or were those he was dealing with in RTE an absolute pushover? Answers on a postcard please...

Something that's nagging in my head from what I read and the bits I watched on Tuesday was mention of a taxi fare of nigh on one thousand euro 🥺 for Tubridy to go and to from a function in Drogheda, a Renault function maybe, I forget the exact details.

But that was presumably signed off without a blink. And yet Dee Forbes was constantly looking for more money for RTE. Crazy what was allowed to go on. Absolutely crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

The Chair has very poor delivery. Seems to have good points to make at times but his delivery of same lets him down badly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Riveting stuff . Well done senator. That’s a very good example of some/ each member of these committees having ONE specific issue to EXPLORE. - and 10 min may not be enough to dig out such detail and get such an ‘ ALL OVER THE FLOOR ‘ response

Why was payment made in advance - especially by a commercial company - unless it got a big discount

This 10 min limit worked a treat for RT and NK Just like a boxer knowing that he is ahead by two rounds with one round to go. He only has to stay standing for the final round to win - if victory goes to the boxer who wins the most rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE circling the wagons.

Noel Kelly being accused of lying.

Is it Brian Stanley? If so then you wouldn’t be dealing with one of the great political minds of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Enough of this ridiculous flim flamin

Time for Revenue to get involved because this is beyond the beyonds.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I really hope they have proof that Noel Kelly did, in fact, have tea with Dee Forbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

It’s of interest that it was RT who apologised for the lateness of the arrival of the docs. IMO it was a decision the RT should explain rather than NK because he would stand a higher chance of being believed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭squonk

This is it though. The people who had realistic options elsewhere over the years have taken them and left. Terry Wogan, Eamonn Sndrews, even Caitriona Perry of late. An attractive offer isn’t necessarily financial only. It’s a lure of working with a bigger organisation with a larger audience and basically getting a piece of an oftentimes much bigger pie.

It’s like any business, the very ambitious people stay for a while but move on in time because they have found better offers. The less ambitious or talented stay. Usually those people can get good increases because of business experience and becoming core people but that’s different. You don’t double their salary if they haven’t been coming with credible offers on the basis that they might leave some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

Is there another pac or what happens now. RT said he might not have job Friday, is there a decision tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Colm Burke ripping the Chair of RTE a new one..... in Brendan Bendar parlance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement