Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agreed, but I think if a presenter is being poached from abroad with higher offers, that's not something RTE should be trying to compete with. Certainly if the likes of Virgin Media or a large radio station were making offers, I do think RTE should be able to negotiate with the presenter and try and keep them. That itself is the market value, and so I think some flexible limits on how much over that RTE can offer would be reasonable, and RTE should have the flexibility to do so if the presenter is worth keeping (listenership, advertising, sponsorship etc).

Really though if some UK media company came and made the presenter a much bigger offer than the presenter is likely to get in Ireland, RTE shouldn't be competing with that or trying to keep them, because that sets precedent and wage levels that could then make other presenters use that in their own negotiations that they should be paid higher. It's likely part of the reason RTE wages were so high to begin with, when you look at what some of the presenters were on 10+ years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think the Chair of RTE is a very poor performer. How did she ever get the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

All over the shop this

Good point made about leave of absence versus early retirement. The latter makes attendance at the PAC etc easier to avoid by any ex-employee so wishing.

Bounce Tubridy out Bakhurst, if you want to have even half a chance going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I agree.

If you or I presented TLLS on a Friday night, (seriously), there would still be an audience (albeit a greatly reduced one) - there are a cohort of people (mostly retired) who will watch RTÉ 1 every week regardless of the crap that’s produced.

So, RT obviously has a much greater audience pulling power than you or me. But we know TLLS has been getting slammed for years now in terms of its content and it’s lecture consdending presentation style.

And also, there’s tons more alternatives to watch on a Friday evening - so competiton is fierce - quality of the presenter is one thing but quality of the guests/show is equally important in my view- it’s what will attract those additional audience viewers over and above the blue rinse brigade -the presenter is one element, an important element but not the only element.

I see TLLS heading to oblivion because the structure of the show is completely outdated - we’re hanging on to a relic of the past for no good reason.

I’ll give Kielty a few months to find his feet but if the structure of the show is simply a variation on what we’ve had to date, he won’t gain that valuable money spending younger audience that advertisers crave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Did he just Tubridy is no longer getting paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

As of this week it seems. Honestly feels like a "well **** ya anyway" after Tuesday's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

100% RT is getting his full wage. Push them on it. Ask them for all receipts on RT’s wages going back five years up until now and future ones when they come back in months

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are people here happy with Kielty getting €250k per year for doing the LLS? Is he being overpaid for the gig?

• Advertisement

If someone has a better offer they should take it , we’re not Britain or America let them go and replace them

I always take the Jonny ramone solution, if someone leaves get someone younger faster better

It’s fine , he’s here to fix the show after 15 years of jellybeans and riffing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭CH3OH

At least the committee members are asking questions rather than performing a speech......... so far

It seems more structured today

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Maynis

There's no way that the public broadcaster is dependent on any one person who does a radio show for 1 hour per day. It doesn't make any senses that it's even such a huge decision.

It's a tiny part of the overall RTE deliverables. Cut the cord and move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Devlin was just cut out there 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As I understand it, its not a question of PAYE wages, rather that Tubridy sends in an invoice for services.

My impression is that Tubridy is still invoicing RTE but that RTE have not made a decision on whether to pay them or not.

If he’s not in they don’t need to pay him unless they’ve added that to the contract also 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

See, here's my issue.

People are crapping on about Tubs being overpaid yet it looks to me like he wasn't being overpaid for what he did.

If €250k is the going rate for the LLS, then RT should be paid €250k for it. But Tubs did another job. He did his radio show. The typical pay for a top radio presenter in Ireland is probably close to €250k too. So it looks to me that people who say Tubs was overpaid are off the mark.

You are correct that the LLS has gone down the toilet in the last 15 years. It can be improved for sure.........just get rid of the non-stop misery sections would be my first port of call.........but I don't think it can be made good. We can't get the calibre of guests that someone like Graham Norton can get. We are too small and movie stars won't bother coming to Ireland to promote their films as it's not worth their while.

RTE state they've received an invoice "this week" from Ryan Tubridy for his radio show. But how can this be? Didn't Tubridy earnestly tell us this week that he wouldn't dream of taking payment for work which he hadn't done. And RTE don't know how much Tubridy is to be paid 

Kelly says RTE has a record of a Teams call between Noel Kelly and Dee Forbes - and nobody else - in April 2022, at a time when Kelly was pursuing payment for years 2 and 3 of the €75k arrangement.

Kelly told the PAC two days ago they had never had unaccompanied meetings

That meeting was followed by an email which referred to the outcome of the Teams call, and which included a proposal to follow up with Geraldine O’Leary (then-head of commercial) to arrange payment.

RTÉ presenting this as proof that Kelly and Forbes were at one on situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There were a few weeks that Tubridy did the radio show while his contract was being renegotiated. So in fairness, he would have done work and not been paid for it. And because his previous contract was for TV and Radio but for those weeks he was only doing radio (hence why his contract is being renegotiated), the amount that he would be due to be paid would be in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

….. double post

At least Bajhurst - untroubled by the troubled past - sounds comfortable enough in front of PAC. And yes, I do mean that as a complement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

So Tubs knew he wouldn't have to pay it back because RTE can't ask to give it back. If he said he would give it back then RTE can accept it but wording it that if RTE ask he will give it back means he will never have to refund

Another example of grubby little Tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Another good Dunphy podcast with Fionnán Sheahan reviewing Tubs and Kelly’s appearances before the committees. Sheahan in particular “ain’t buying it”. He said only 2 of the 7 claimed untruths meet the threshold for same. Some good comments about the grandstanding and the “children of Ireland” shtick, laying it on thick, etc etc

Lynch getting a well earned slap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Don't personally care.

My own issues with this situation, as I've said before is Tubridy's own dishonesty and his idea that he can spin people some bullshit victim narrative. I can't stand liars!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Most people's issue is not that Tubridy received over payments - it is that he received hidden payments, If the correct figure had been given on the day the earnings were released, there'd have been plenty of complaining for a day or two but none of this drama would have come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Just tuning in to Oireachtas TV now. I see Adrian Lynch has brought his smug, smirky face with him again this morning. Tory party head on him.

Just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I mean it's a fairly ridiculous question when the chap hasn't done a LLS yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement