Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Amazon have stock of the Corsair MP600 Mini 1TB for €120 and the Sabrent for a similar price. These seemed to be out of stock in the US when they came out and lots of people resorted to AliExpress, didn't see anything in stock in Europe when I last looked but they're available now if anyone is upgrading (just remember to take your SD card out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Between 10 and 20% off the Steam Decks now with the Steam Sale on.

All in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What price is it? I can't log in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Ugh all out of stock already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

LOL I thought the previous reduction was going to be a 'once off'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

The steam deck must be the only piece of tech with stock shortages at the moment 🤷‍♂️🤣

I didn't expect to see it in a Summer sale, I wonder if we'll see it in the future sales. A friend of mine is looking to pick one up, no harm in waiting for the Autumn sale. But then nobody would buy them outside of sales. Maybe it's a boost against the Ally?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Ya I went to get it and was out of stock before I could add it to my basket 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Any rumours of them going on sale through other outlets rather than just steam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Dog95

Can anyone recommend a power bank that will actually charge it? I got an otter box one but it’s no use, loses battery while playing and even if it’s on sleep mode it won’t go beyond 20% or so.

Also does anyone have Mafia on Steam Deck? I have it and it runs fine but have an issue where the control tutorials at the beginning of the game are just showing a standard white button so I’m having to figure it out for myself. It’s a bit frustrating as I’ve never actually played the game before.

Aside from that I love the deck, very handy for flying through a football manager save and I’m sure I’ll delve deeper into it.

You need something that's greater than 45w with a decent capacity 20,000mah or over. If you go onto adverts you'll find various different options type in 45w or 60w power bank, see whats there and then go to amazon and read the reviews. I get 3 hours from the deck playing GoW on recommended settings and I'd get another 4-5 with the power bank before that needs to be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If possible try to stream games. Xbox Cloud, PS Plus, Steam Link etc. You will easily double the battery life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I find myself a very happy man, as I got Half-Life Alyx running on my Steamdeck using the novr mod.

It looks fantastic, as long as I remember to turn off the noclip button assignment, which I seem to press with annoying regularity.

Spent hours one of the days trying to set up PS Plus on it, followed an online tutorial step by step but when I went to launch it the PS plus logo just kept flashing in the middle of my screen but it never launched.

Must give it another shot but as my last two posts will tell you, I’m not very tech savvy. Travelling at the moment which was the main reason I looked into the deck but I am excited about messing around with the extra bits when I get home and have time.

Hit the same myself, turns out I was missing a few steps. This guy does a good walk through that is at a nice pace to flow along.

Thanks man, will definitely give that a go once I’m back!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For anyone using the deck in a dock with keyboard and mouse, do you use the deck UI or change over to desktop? Any pros or cons either way?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I feel like game mode plays better but that might just be perception. Desktop allows for more customisation like changing screen resolution etc. But for most part I game in game mode and only use desktop when I need to install something that isn't native to steam.

One thing, at least with the official dock is you can't use the deck screen as a second monitor in docked + game mode. You need to go into desktop mode for that. Which is weird.

So far I've played AoE4 and factorio while docked. Keyboard and mouse worked fine

I did notice AoE4 looked a bit sh!t, must check the graphics settings

Factorio ran fine, although it's not the most graphically demanding game around. At least until you start using supersonic trains, they literally zip past faster than the refresh rate 😂

I'm on a 3rd party dock and the second screen doesn't work in game mode either, must be a feature of the UI

• Advertisement

Anyone here playing games over a NAS? The setup looks a bit complicated, just wondering if it's worth doing. I'm bouncing between more games on the Deck than I would on console due to the pick up and play aspect, before looking into installing a 1TB NVME I was wondering if setting up games on my NAS is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Setting up Emudeck/emulation is a pain in the hole. Fannied around with it all morning and gave up. I'm sure it's straightforward if you are familar with it, tbf, but as an idiot with a short fuse and little patience, it didn't suit me.

Would a microsd card be an option? The load times are a bit longer than the onboard SSD, but not too bad and still much quicker than a NAS

I have a 512GB card already but I've heard good things about loading from a NAS, the setup just looks a bit complicated and I'm finding it hard to decide which games to install and play due to size limits.

Nerds gaslight regular folk thinking this stuff is easy. It ain't. Don't even try is my advice if you want to keep your sanity.

I set it up by following a tutorial on Youtube and remember it being okay ish.

This is an updated version of the tutorial I followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5r2WZAImuY

Got it working in the end and quickly realised I've zero interest in playing Banjo Kazooie for the N64. It was the thrill of the chase.

I did the same, thought I loved this game as a kid. Then played Super Star Wars and Desert Strike on SNES and realized some things are best left in the past as great memories. :)

Anyone using a Lenovo Thinkpad dock with their Deck? Can't get a picture on my monitor, but my mouse and keyboard work on the Deck on Desktop Mode...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

My L1 button stopped working over the weekend. Presses down fine but does not register an input. Have to RMA it now which is new process to me. Anyone on here have experience of the RMA process ? How much of a turnaround time had you to deal with?

I have other consoles to keep me entertained in the meantime but my Steam Deck is my go to gaming device since I got it.

Advertisement