Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭jaymla627

8% increase in dairy cow numbers with a third of the suckler cow herd culled from present day numbers, their not even lucid anymore to present day realities, their policies documents, 50 hour working weeks through the spring, it's at the stage now it's only fit for lighting the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Didn’t see this post until now hence the late reply

You know nothing about me .

Why do some of the posters on here routinely default to attacking the messenger as if that will deal with the issues raised ? There must be a belief amongst some of you that anyone calling out the obvious cruelty is an animal rights activist and should therefore be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Sure they have their apostle farmers that can do it. Everything is a win win. All these numbers men and teagasc apostles might be the re examining their models yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Six foot of soil does us all in the end.

Empires never last.

I'm all for capping land per farmer. Never happen though no matter the enterprise. The day of the messing with tankers and thinking you're above it to is over now. If you don't have the storage you won't be in business. It's govs way now of reducing livestock.

All talk of leaving bps and going it without is pointless. Bord Bia and Councils and possibly epa down the line themselves with inspections that's the first thing they'll be after is storage. Eventually it possibly could be for entire housing period. If you look at it like it's their way of closing down and thining out livestock farms then you're in the correct frame of mind and are prepared and won't be surprised or caught unawares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

It would seem the epa equivalent in the uk are bringing farms up to a new standard essentially to kill off family livestock farms. Talk of figures averaging 2.5k per cow if you look up for starting in the south west Dartmoor. Now whether that’s to get to a higher base than Ireland or force places to spend money that should have been done 15 years ago not sure as a lot of areas didn’t get a nitrates/nvz.

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/parliamentary-debate-on-farming-on-dartmoor-18th-april-natural-england%E2%80%99s-rewilding-aspirations-beyond-dartmoor-and-what-you-need-to-do.388304/

• Advertisement

If derogation is scrapped, in 2025 and a farm can't access additional land/its not financially viable to rent extra acres, then any operations with huge loans for slurry infrastructure for say a 250 cow herd now been forced back down to under 150 will be paying back probably the guts of over a 1000 euro a cow plus intrest on 100 cows that can't be kept on farm anymore......

Taking out 7-15 year loans for infrastructure to be compliant for current cow numbers that likely won't be milked past 2025 is lunacy, if the department came out and laid the exact framework going forward x stocking rate allowable, x storage required per cow, and no deviation our updates made to this for a 10 year period the money would be spent on 90% of farms to remain compliant, but this yearly merry-go-round of new rules and regulations and the epa holding huge sway with their water reports they can torpedo any hopes of a new derogation for 2026 leaves us all in no man's land

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Jack98

Unless something changes we’re heading down the route of industrial scale farming in Ireland also. The only people who will be able to survive if derogation is scrapped will be the large operators who already have a substantial land base and will have the power to Hoover up whatever land becomes available if dero goes.

Its looking like we’re nearing the end of the family farm which is incredibly sad to see.

I had hoped to go full time farming in 5-10 years but that is looking more and more unlikely every week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1) Not everyone has a large BPS,

2) Not everywhere is eligible for ANC

3) Your 250 acre operation with a dairy + keeping all followers isn't going to be a one-man operation unless you have serious amount of investment i.e. everything possible robotic or automated. Without that you are effectively going to have to be hiring in extra labour to cover the additional work brought in by your beef side of things. You can ask any beef farmer how much profit they think they would get if they ran their operation just on hired labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

It will be funny as they will be 2 types of dairy farms in the future, will be at the opposite end of the spectrum,1. will be large scale industrial farming and the second will the lad working full time keeping 40 to 60 cows for the shear love of it.

• Advertisement

I had planned on expanding by 20 cows here, building another slatted tank and buying a new milk tank. But it's all on hold for now due to such uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

and your 100% correct. A friend is building a fairly big shed long overdue, should've done it years ago but the prices his getting for shed, concrete, labour etc are eye watering and would put you thinking.

Crazy prices. I'm just delighted I have so much done so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Seems baby is not happy with Tubridy getting more coverage than the calves

If RTE thought the calves would take the heat off their own mess they’ve got it wrong again.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Done a cubicle shed and tank here at the start of covid when prices where on the floor, all in was 150k with shed put up by ourselves, 300k wouldn't build it now I'd say tank and slats at the time came to 55k, we draw bulk cement into the concrete crew that done the tank he was 35k at the time for the tank , he done a similar tank lately and it was 80k, slats where 20k at the time and would be well over 40k to buy them present day...

Whatever about the costs,intrest rates are the real kicker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well interest rate hikes are there to prevent price inflation. That's the plan anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

We are stocked over 3 cows to the ha on milking platform of 96 acres with 12 acres of this rented. We own another 40 acres of an outside block along with more ground rented for silage and rearing cattle.

As jaymala says if we were to lose rented ground and derogation to go it would be a serious hit to the viability of the farm.

We’ve cut a lot of bales off milking platform this year already and have 60 of the calves still grazing on it too. 3 cows to the ha is easily managed it just won’t be doable in the future with regs.

If we were to cut stocking rate you’d be topping every day of the week.

That's the point I was making the other day. You won't get the fertiliser in the first place so there will be no need for topping.

I work off farm currently and am in partnership with parents also. I will never part time farm or work and milk cows I see it as complete lunacy.

Either go full time farming or let the place out, nothing would entice me to come home from work and prick around with dry stock or worse again be milking cows before and after work during the week, have a neighbor at it and he has no life at all.

At the moment I milk 3 evenings during the week when I work from home and do 3 milkings on the weekend, this allows me to play on 3 different teams…my neigbor doesn’t even go out at the weekends he’s so burnt out from work.

It would be absolutely sickening to have to scale back to 70ish cows and the replacements having built up to where we are now over the years and knowing the land is well capable of carrying the number we’re at now.

And going forward I don’t think 70 cows would be viable as an income unless you’d a spouse working off farm.

• Advertisement

Looks like you are coming around to the reality of the situation

It is completely ridiculous though the policy makers are too blind to see they are driving things towards industrial farming setups. No young person is going to go milking sub 70 cows. The layout of time and effort for the return just won’t be there.

Even in the future you would need 134 acres to carry 100 cows on paper for example that is some waste of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

You'd need 134 acres for 100 cows, if they never calved.😪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Yeah realistically you'd need 150acres. This is all very doom and gloom there's nothing to say Ireland will be down to 170Nkg in 2026.

You’re talking 170 acres for 100 cows, 20 calves and 20 replacements in a no dero scenario…you could nearly rent out 30 acres of that for two cuts of silage you’d have so much excess land.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Have been away for a few days so only catching up on this now.have a friend from a farmer background and he’s high up in the dept.he told me the amount of anti farmer feelings in there has to be seen to be believed.

it’s sad that this is where we’ve ended up but remember this the next time ur local fg /ff td or councillor comes a knocking.no point bitching about the greens as most of rural Ireland don’t have a chance to vote against these urban lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Why don’t you do what all the smart dairy farmers do and get yourself a local national school teacher, tip away at your seventy cows and take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's the pricking around of not letting people know either way.

Charlie Mcconalogue never had a thought in his head that wasn't put there by another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Feelings in the Dept of Ag specifically? Or general coalition government

• Advertisement

What you have outlined their is also why your comment re the big lads ramping up won't work, in america every acre can be farmed to the max and all feed produced is used up with milking cows, also usually have a huge block around the dairy where slurry is horsed out year round, it simply won't pay to take on more ground to carry cows when you can't farm it to its maximum potential to get forage to produce milk from and that's before you take into account rental prices and distances slurry will have to be carted.....

Done a full cashflow forecast here out to next March and am working of alot of rented ground for maize/silage and I reckon dropping the whole lot, halfing cow numbers and farm away on the home block is the only way to survive with current input costs versus milk price, silage and maize costs per kilo of dm are now coming in at around 25c kilo of dry matter, and land rental costs are at 225 a acre for this year the maths don't work at the above costs put in 400 plus for land rental and you'll end up broke

Advertisement