Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It is interesting times anyway to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

700k a week for Hendo, what'll they offer Fabinho, 1m per week? This is mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Club wouldn't let him go if they didn't feel he was past his best and replaceable.

The mistake we made was not signing their replacements 12 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I don't think assembling a midfield to face Chelsea would be a primary concern. They are in a similar if not worse position having lost their entire midfield (Kante, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Mount, Havertz) and at present have 4 midfield players in the squad. Even excluding Fabinho and Henderson, the midfield players available have sufficient experience of playing Klopp's system to get a performance. Pochettino's band of misfits are unlikely to be a team by the opening game of the season.

Chelsea midfielders:

• Enzo Fernadez (22) : 22 first team appearances for Chelsea
    • Conor Gallagher (23) : 45 first team appearances for Chelsea
    • Andrey Santos (19) : 0 first team appearances
    • Carney Chukwuemeka (19) : 15 first team appearances for Chelsea

Liverpool midfielders excluding Fabinho and Henderson:

• Stefan Bajcetic (18) : 19 first team appearances
    • Harvey Elliott (20) : 66 first tam appearances
    • Curtis Jones (22) : 97 first team appearances
    • Alexis MacAllister (24) : 0 first team appearances for Liverpool
    • Tyler Morton (20) : 9 first team appearances for Liverpool
    • Dominik Szoboszlai (22) : 0 first team appearances for Liverpool
    • Thiago (32) : 97 first team appearances for Liverpool

It's the tough games later in the season where the grit and experience of Henderson (492 appearances for Liverpool) would be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

While i love the idea of a full midfield rebuilt with Lavia and Caicedo coming in (unlikely but still) i cant see liverpool getting rid of basically the entire midfield in one window. Maybe one of Henderson or Fab but both after the rest leaving seems a bit too much. In saying that the midfeild options as above look very exciting and would bring the average age of the team way down.

Interesting times indeed

In other news Nunez takes the no. 9 jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I didn't mean it as in the Chelsea game alone without Fab, Hendo etc will be a struggle. I was merely trying to gauge where Klopp's mind-set would be at on the 1st day of the season facing in a campaign without Milner, Fab and Hendo. I don't think he ever imagined an scenario where we would lose all 3 in the summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m surprised at the love for Thiago….. he’s a RollsRoyce player when he’s fit, but he’s an injury prone crock most of the season. Isn’t he injured now even for pre-season training? The most he will play would be 20 games all season, and probably never a full 90.

Hendo going will be a massive loss, it’s definitely a case of the club allowing him to leave, out of respect to his loyalty, but I’m hoping that same loyalty works both ways ( a la Stevie G), and he turns down the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jack747

If Fabinho and Henderson leave and we end up with Thiago (out of the old guard) , I will be absolutely sick.

Undoubtedly he was once a quality player but the man just cannot keep fit and keeps breaking down. I would have shown him and keita the door after the Southampton game and then started the midfield rebuild from there.

I’ll prob get abuse but I’d even have rather kept Milner (on what he can add to the dressing room) than Thiago.

Keeping Henderson is so so important, praying to god he stays. I think we will be in big trouble if he leaves and we will be on the back foot. There’s also no guarantee that he will be replaced by anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

That's the equivalent of carbon offsets though, it's certainly not activism though broadly positive.

Not sure there is anyone currently into sport who would be a slow enough learner to not see what is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

£10m for Henderson is a joke. £40m for Fabhino is ok.

If we lose both then you'd really need someone like Barella coming in alongside Lavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The game is going to change hugely over the next half decade. We may well want the super league idea back, when the Saudis have completed their project.

I’d say we broadly agree here. Once you’ve been bought once you can never wash that off. But that will be the rationale.

The Saudis are going to keep going and eventually start buying stars in their prime. You could argue a 33 year old Henderson is one of their most significant acquisitions thus far. But in a couple of windows he will be a tiny signing compared to what they have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The midfield was so bad last season, there is a very good argument for getting rid and starting again. It rarely happens obviously, because it's not easy to get rid of underperforming players, but I do look on it as a potential positive. (if it happens)

It's not like at any stage last season our midfield were using their experience to dictate games, take pressure off the defense etc. Henderson's positive influence last season was rarely on the pitch with his performances, and was, at best, an intangible "leadership" influence. Who's to say that Trent or someone else is not ready to assume that role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Like others have said 40mill for Fabinho is great business, I doubt he suddenly will be able to move/run quicker in August. I trust the club will get in a good young replacement.

I think losing Hendo would be absolutely huge. I really, really hope he doesn't leave but I certainly can't blame him with that money offered.

• Advertisement

We could always bring back Wijnaldum on loan from PSG. He has been banished from their first team squad. "Free the Paris One!" 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I can certainly blame Hendo for leaving, no matter the money.

He's a millionaire tens of times over. He's choosing money over morals. Simple as. And it's not like a teacher heading over in order to get a deposit for a house back home. It's just greed.

Add onto that the amazing job he's done of promoting inclusiveness and equality, only to now head over.

He's pissing on his legacy a bit if he goes, let's be honest.

Sepp van den Berg appears to be on his way back to the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

What's the story with Ox? Haven't seen him linked with anyone even though he's free, could he be kept on a pay as you play option if Fab and Henderson leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Id like to keep Fab and see if last season was a one off, if he gets back to his best he's one of the best midfielders in the league and still only 29. Henderson on the other hand is 33 past his prime and on a fair wedge, his wages I imagine are the reason the club is entertaining this idea of moving him.

Sure him and milner were leaders, but city have lose countless leaders over the years and gundogan again this summer and are flying it. Let an ageing players legs wilt at another club I say

Of course there is the moral aspect of it, but 700k a week tax free put on front of you on the table is needless to say, ludicrous money that I wouldn't begrudge him taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

so as long as the money is outlandish, we should understand it?

that is literally the definition of sportswashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Let them go,set the club up for the future, honestly if the club knew they were going they could have been competing for Bellingham/ rice signatures, it would be 2 high earners off the books and give serious options in the transfer market for younger players.

Of course it does

He’ll spend a portion of his post football career trying to buy it back.

But as we have seen with golf, more and more pros are just going to take the money on offer - legacy be damned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

This is a sad day for the club, nobody can deny what an exceptional captain he’s been for the club. 😥

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1679473815783391232?s=46&t=6XxR-LqXYNB3AK1cLg25sA

I don't think his legacy will be affected much with Liverpool fans tbh. He's lifted the Premier league and champions league as captain. Legendary stuff. Twelve years as a player too.

I really hope he stays, but maybe it's for the best all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

10M (if true) is a joke though. He's worth twice that to us. He should be at least 40M.

They can have Fab for 40M and Thiago too if a similar bid came in, but I'd rather keep Jordan than let him go for so little.

It won't affect his legacy though, he has won it all and will be fondly remembered forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ornstien saying the Saudis going to bid 40 million for Fab?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lads, there is not a single person on this forum, no matter their current salary, who would say no to 700k week. This is silly money.

Pontificating that he’s disgracing himself makes no sense to me. Anyone would do it, let’s not pretend otherwise.

His legacy as a Liverpool player will remain intact. He captained us to our first league win in decades, anyone thinking this will be dented because he’s accepting a wheelbarrow of cash is wrong IMO.

I'd be waiting for someone more reliable than him to be reporting it to see if it actually happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Of course it is, their human rights record is horrific, but money talks unfortunately for him as he's entertaining the idea. Same way I watched the Qatar World Cup and LIV golf and the Saudi Arabian GP, are we all buying into sports washing?

£350k a week for Hendo supposedly

The £700k a week was nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

£10 million is a complete joke. If you want a player so badly to pay them 700k per week the requested fee should be a lot higher, especially with 2 years left on his contract.

Disappointed to see Henderson go for the money too. Whatever anyone says, he doesn’t need it. He could hang up his boots today and live out the rest of his life in complete comfort. Setting his family up for generational wealth on the backs of an oppressive regime, especially when he’s been a brilliant leader when it comes to inclusion. A lot of people will be understandably upset with his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Id want more then double my existing salary to live in Saudi Arabia. I wouldn't do that to my family tbh.

I am stunned he is taking this, and waving a firm goodbye to his international career

Bang on.

I think people are losing the run of themselves.

I’m not a Liverpool fan, just nosing here to see the view on Henderson but I disagree with this.

Would I on my average salary take the 700k a week? Of course I would, my life would change unimaginably.

Honestly though if I was on 250k a week I really don’t think I would take it. The opportunity to captain a huge club, play for my country, be close to my family and still have more than enough money to set up my childrens childrens children *10 would be more than enough for me.

Honestly how much money does someone need? 200/250 grand a week is absolutely stupid money as it is.

As for legacy, I wouldn’t have a View on that, for pool fans to decide I suppose.

Would you do it for €50m though, and set up your kids and grandkids for life?

That's the question.

Two years, and then retire on your yacht at 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s apples and oranges. He’s a multi-millionaire, has won everything he can win and has been England captain.

He could choose to do anything, punditry, coaching, ambassadorial roles for the rest of his life and be handsomely paid.

In short - he doesn’t need it. So trying to say that we’d all do it doesn’t fly. If I had his money in my account with the post career options he’ll have available, I certainly wouldn’t. Price is too high.

And just because it’s an eye watering figure, obscene really - it doesn’t really absolve his choice. A lot of people who would have thought of Henderson as an ally and would have looked up to him can understandably be disappointed in his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That reigns things back in a bit.

£350k a week for something already tarnishing his reputation (I can see the LFC LGBT+ Group has already spoken out about it)....it would be disappointing. Disappointing because of the work he's actually done for these groups and they seem to look up to him greatly for it, which is nothing to point one's nose up at.

I don't get it, it's not about moralising but acknowledging all that work he's done for what will feel like nothing.

£350k tax free is probably not far off 3 or 4 times his currently salary I'm guessing.

As an aside, why are salaries still reported weekly, when they are paid monthly? It's one of footballs odditys.

on my salary currently, yes, I'd find it extremely difficult to turn down 700k a week.

but if I was already set for life, and had endorsement deals on top of my super-inflated salary, I'd like to think I wouldn't actually feel the need to do it.

My favourite quote on Henderson was someone describing him in training years ago, early in his Liverpool career and they said: 'Henderson trains like he is playing for England in the World Cup Final and they're 1 - 0 down'.

This is a disappointing day but people need to realise that we are in the early stages of a seismic shift in football - how it is governed, where the best players play and who the best clubs are. The Saudi's are only getting started, and they will demand a seat at the top table of football or simply buy all the best players and bring them to the Middle East over the next half decade.

We've already seen with the golf stuff that the professional play is to take the money. Henderson has already won all the competitions he can win and captained England. It's a no brainer. The ethical side of it is disappointing, but this is how the wall of money works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Could we steal Caicedo from under Chelsea's noses? A Lavia and Caicedo duo would seriously improve our midfield and age profile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder will the club give Henderson a testimonial if he leaves? 12 years at the club, and lifted everything as club captain. He would qualify for one. Lucas got one. I have this memory of that being a year after he moved though, if that is correct?

The big difference without football and golf is they have to live in their joke of a country.

So it won't suit everyone. And a lot of already wealthy players will have no interest.

They can hoover up players on smaller wages, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We absolutely should try. Alexis is here already so he has a buddy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement