Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

He announced his departure from TLLS in March. Goes to show how utterly inept RTÉ are that they didn’t have a new contract for radio only ready to go on June 1st.

Near the end of June when the **** hit the fan they were still negotiating it. He shouldn’t have been allowed on the radio without a proper contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No more secret deals with Tubridy and Kelly. RTE should see these bluffers in court. Time for some backbone in Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Stick a pony in me pocket,
    I'll fetch the suitcase from the van.
    Cos if you want the best 'uns,
    But you don't ask questions,
    Then brother, I'm your man.
    Cos where it all comes from is a mystery,
    It's like the changin' of the seasons,
    And the tides of the sea.
    But here's the one that's drivin' me beserk,
    Why do only fools and horses work?
    La-la-la
    La-lala-la
    La-la-la
    La-lala-la.

We've got some half price cracked ice and miles and miles of carpet 
    tiles,
    T.V.s, deep freeze and David Bowie L.P.s,
    Ball games, gold chains, whatsnames, pictures frames and leather 
    goods,
    And Trevor Francis track suits from a mush in Shepherds Bush,
    Bush, bush, bush, bush, bush, bush, bush ...
    No income tax, no V.A.T.,
    No money back, no guarantee,
    Black or white, rich or poor,
    We'll cut prices at a stroke......
    God bless Hooky Street,
    Viva Hooky Street,
    Long live Hooky Street,
    C'est magnifique, Hooky Street,
    Magnifique, Hooky Street,
    Hooky Street (to fade)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The pilot would come down especially from his seat to wish RT well no doubt and tell him that his children love the toyman.

And the pair of them would invoice RTE for the flights because sure why not... 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a reasonable business practice for contractor to rollover and if you continue to do the work you get paid the same rate.

But Tubridy withdrew \ resigned from the contract. So if RTE don't want him back next week, all they have to do is say so. No comeback from RT, no exit fee, no severance, no damages nothing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And made the decision to leave last year. Or so he says.

Decided to leave last year and never once mentioned it to anybody or had any discussions about what would happen afterwards.

Sure Ryan. Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I hope RTE learn that they should not create brands around a presenter after this. I mean the mid morning show being branded around Tubridy ties the show to him and they are left with needing a rebrand if they need to move him on. RTE need to "own their own brands".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You'd wonder if PAC has picked up any fans and viewing figures will go up long term after this scandal L:()

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The legal for RTE stated that as his contract was for tv and radio and he stepped back from the tv part voluntarily it had to be renegotiated and those talks have paused due to the current controversy.

She said the agent's view was that it was the same contract however.

Will be a legal battle but it was clear from Bakhurst saying prior to this " that he broke his contract" that he wants him gone but he can't say that of course. . Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Diamond Joe Quimby

The O'Keeffe payoff is a bigger issue than the Tubridy issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Apparently, the viewing/streaming figures were around 9 million streaming minutes for the RT/NK appearances. That's way up from the normal viewing.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

They're 2 cheeks of the same arse - underhanded deals and the executive board claim to have been awol when they were signed.

Interesting you never mention those that would have the right questions like Sherlock and Cannon.

I think we all know why.

A bad week for NK, RT and RTE to put it mildly. This story has been roaring along for so long now that it finally feels like the gas is going out of it - rather unsatisfactorily I should add as there has been no convincing explanation as to why DF, GOL, BOK and others have put their professional credibility on the line in order to feed extra money to Grubridy.

That said if Dee decides to speak up then the PAC will be box office yet again.

Maybe there will be another twist. You can hear the gears turning though to RTE funding reform now and the calls for the Exchequer to stand in with a big ball of money. Government has been handed essentially a free pass to squeeze RTE into whatever shape it wants and one wonders now what it will do with such an opportunity.

Dee apparently signed off on the BOK package, she really needs to talk.

Later, Mr Bakhurst, under questioning from Fine Gael's Colm Burke, said the package was agreed between his predecessor, Dee Forbes, and Ms O'Keeffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Held up well so then.

RTÉ should get the guys running the Oireachtas stream to do the RTÉ Player for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Until this debacle, RT would have had a very good chance to be the next president of Ireland. RT idolises JFK and I am fairly certain that was his ambition. His last late late guest was the President of Ireland

He was joint 2nd favourite with the bookmakers in June

I think Ryan was fighting for his future presidential candidacy as much as his RTE gig couple of days ago

That's all gone now. Thems the breaks, as uncle Gaybo would say

The reputational damage to RK is immense. RTE need to publicly apologise to RT, put him back on the airwaves as swiftly as possible and pray that he doesn't sue RTE

To be fair, the comparisons aren't really like for like. Tubs/NK were there for over 6 hours while biden was there for an hour, less?

Anyway, the streaming service held up very well. Better than the ball of shite that is the rte player.

If the government steps in RTE should be allowed to go bust first and all contracts terminated, let Montrose be sold to fund redundancies. Or let all contracts run out first, whatever is the cheaper option.

Everyone becomes an employee with any additional commercial activities to be declared and independent of RTE, e.g., some presenter turning up at an event can't be introduced as "RTE's X".

Anybody wondering if there is extra money in the exit package for BOK that is being credited to RT? And maybe agreed with NK and DF?

I am sure the Forensic Accountant will turn up some more interesting issues.

• Advertisement

That's unlikely as Tubs would surely have declared he wasn't paid extra when this blew up and he would have accrued a tax liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I know why. I find them amusing so makes for entertainment. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

RTE have lost all confidence in the public after today. No matter what way they spin it. RTE board member trying to say what a lovely person Tubs is. F**k me are you for real?

Tubs as well is shown up for the sneaky little person he is. Saying he would give back the money if someone asks for it, knowing that RTE cannot legally ask him to repay it. So he keeps the money he got for doing nothing.

The whole thing is a disgrace.

First off Tubs should be let go, end of story.

Second they need a total review of RTE and their policies. I seen PAC meetings from years ago when they said all procurement issues had been resolved. Seemingly not.

Third they need to be held to a budget. Don't care how they do that but they have to. No more running to the Dail for top up because they can't manage a spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Could be a mad observation about the chances of Tubs returning to RTE in some guise, but I have a gut instinct that a bit like The Donald, he's pretty untouchable with a sizeable cohort of people in this country. The old, the confused, the terminally deluded, the kind of people who watched him destroy the Late Late Show for 14 years and thought "God, isn't Ryan just an old smoothy. We're so lucky to have such a charming, able fellow on our TV screens...."

Yes, people on Boards want him gone. Yes, most people with a modicum of common sense in the real world can see him for the shyster he is and want him gone, but the people who tuned into his nonsense every morning before this blew up, does anyone really think a majorty of those people are going to boycott RTE radio after 50 plus years of listening to it. Or possibly switch over to another station. I don't. And ultimately that and the views of sponsors are what's most in Bakhurst's mind. He himself not really convincing me that he's some decisive axe wielder who's eager to get the broom out at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

And did an interview 10 days before supposedly informing RTE of his decision to step down from The Late Late Show specifically to shoot down the fact that the bookies had opened odds on his successor saying he was going nowhere anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Apparently Forbes overturned a board decision not to underwrite Tubridy's agreement with Renault. You couldn't make this up!

It really is a great little country if you know the right people. Who the hell was she to squander public money like this??

A poster earlier said Tubridy had grounds to sue RTE because his name is now muck. Jesus wept. Tubridy's name is muck because

1. He took money on the side which the public were not aware of.

2. The public believed he took a pay cut but the money from point 1 meant he actually got a pay increase.

3. He told us we were all in it together during COVID. Most people took a hit during COVID Tubridy increased his wages

4. Tubridy went to work with people on vastly inferior wages than he who had their pay cut while he trousered an increase

5. He allowed figures to be released into the public domain pertaining to be his salary which he knew for false and he allowed this to go on for years.

6. His initial statement when this scandal broke irked the public as he put the entire blame on RTE. He realised the error if his way by releasing a follow up statement within 24 hours.

I believe even in this era of outrage in the social media etc that most Irish people are fair, intrinsically good and honourable and in Tubridy they see immorality, dishonesty, entitlement, and ultimately an arrogant shyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement