Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm looking to replace the silicone pads on a few worn out controllers. I see Aliexpress have the usual NES/SNES ones etc, but is there anywhere that lists the likes of Mastersystem, PC Engine, Megadrive replacement silicone pads and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You know what, it's not something I've really looked into. I generally always just replaced the rubbers in controllers with those from sacrificial pads.

If you do find somewhere good, let me know. I've a few childhood controllers that would be quite nice to refresh.

Have you given much thought to changing over to wireless pads? I've my NES, SNES and Megadrive all wireless now and it's absolutely brilliant. No more faffing about with cables.

The 8BITDO ones are particularly lovely. Unfortunately though they've only console receivers for the NES, Snes and Megadrive. Have a lovely looking wireless PCE pad but no receiver for it as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

8BITDO are doing one for the Neo Geo CD now too.

It's rumoured that the Analogue Duo will support NEO GEO CD games as well as the PC Engine games it was initially announced for.

Master of the Universe

Yeah they look really lovely! Not sure why they can't create a wireless console receiver though for every pad they release. Seems like a massively missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Re: the PC Engine

Not sure if they were any use in the end, but a lad was working on a prototype for the 8bitdo PCE 2.4GHz and original hardware. It's just a USB bridge of course so could introduce some unwanted lag etc, but it's an option I suppose, if a little clunky.

Analogue's Duo supposedly has the best of both worlds, original pad port plus inbuilt 2.4g with the 8bitdo pads so no receiver needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is that place Jackie's normally 90s themed or was that just an event they had? I think it was paid entrance, from what I heard it was a bit of a trendy spot for people like my 38 year old sister to relive her college days haha. Not sure what it would be like midweek for their games but I'd be surprised if they weren't just there for the theme.

Token has turned into a hell hole, whenever I'm there for some food or a few games there's just massive crowds of people huddled around drinking after work or meeting the face off each other, they're really just going full on pub now and it hurts the barcade experience. The final nail in the coffin was adding a Fast & Furious machine to the extended bar, that doesn't belong in a barcade! Still mad they never brought back Marvel Vs Capcom after all the practice I did to get good at it. Their games definitely need a refresher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thankfully there's solid preservation communities out there. There's also the role piracy has played here, can you imagine the landscape if there were no such thing as roms, or complete romsets out there in the ether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Interesting interview here. It seems that while Sega USA was making lots of profit, it was mismanaged and they over estimated demand leading to a lot of their cashflow stuck in inventory (which is a complete disaster for a company, cashflow is king)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭dav09

This seems common trend in the video game business, I've read the exact same about multiple other companies, the big one being Atari who famously went bust due to making too many arcade cabinets and consoles + games when things were dropping off being stuck with almost value-less inventory for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Its a big one for Nintendo isnt it? They purposely keep the supply of their first party games pretty bang on i think?

Obviously they sell a ton of them but aren't they known for it?

Pretty much. They aren't purposefully keeping things under supplied, they just don't want to be left with inventory.

Master of the Universe

That statistic is a little bit on the hysterical side to be honest.

If you look at something like film, only a fraction of what has been created has been released on Blueray. Same goes for streaming, I find myself hard pressed to find titles sometimes - and video formats aren't updated nearly as regularly as console hardware.

To expect everything ever released to be available on the current line of systems is a bit mad. And to do that every 5-10 years for new console iterations? Not going to happen.

I do agree though, videogames 100% need to be preserved and it's absolutely shocking how little regard has been given to this in the past. But I think that's a bit of a separate issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Isn't it talking about museums, rather than collections?

I mean, there is a massive repository of games from all formats out there.

As such, we aren't likely to lose titles to oblivion, the article portrays hardware and carts/discs as hard to find, but they really aren't

It's referring to commercial availability I think.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

Its not hysterical as my undertssnding as it being used for game preservaction groups to carve out an expetion from america's DMCA laws.

Making progress on my launch model Wii U with a dying nand. Hopefully it all works out, I'll know soon enough and if I've any luck, I'll do a thread on it.

There's a shocking ignorance over physical media in gaming at the moment. The discussion has been brought up with the release of Alan Wake II being digital only and a surprising number of people dismiss it because they like digital. Just because you don't want a shelf full of games or like not having to swap discs doesn't mean physical media shouldn't exist.

Considering we've all likely experienced a reduction in the selection of quality movies on Netflix due to every studio wanting their own service I'm surprised people aren't more aware of the importance of preservation or physical media. We've seen the likes of Deadpool or Scott Pilgrim disappear from game stores and more recent examples include Forza 6 and 7 which aren't that old but completely unavailable due to licensing.

I don't think the addition of digital only consoles is the writing on the wall for physical media, I believe both will exist equally side by side for the next few years at least but with the shift to digital and people streaming with Game Pass I do wonder about the future availability of game media. Always online or digital only definitely don't help the future preservation of games. We're already seeing people return to piracy due to the movie streaming services no longer being convenient and even then it's not uncommon that some movies aren't easy to find.

• Advertisement

What killed my interest in physical (modern) games was the disc basically being either effectively a key to download the game, or else the disc being an almost pre-release quality version of the game which has (many) subsequent patches needed that aren't on the disc. Either way, a lot of the time now you're collecting a largely incomplete game, and that doesn't appeal to me. It's a stark contrast to retro collecting where you've a polished, quality product that hasn't changed a bit since it's release.

Once the days of quality, finished products being shipped on discs ended, that was it for modern physical collecting for me. What's the point of owning a download key, or essentially an unfinished version of the game on a disc? It's a sad state of affairs really, but this is how the market seems to be now sadly.

Master of the Universe

It's one thing I really love about the Switch. Proper physical media on a unique cartridge based platform in nice looking cases. It's the only system I've bought physical games for now since the 3DS.

Which is positively archaic in this modern day and age of gaming subscription services when you think about it. It's interesting in a way as it means kids playing modern games get to somewhat still experience what we did growing up, going into a shop and buying a cartridge based game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Even with the Switch though an awful lot of cartridges are just license keys, publishers are using the cheapest/smallest cartridge for physical releases meaning you still need to download a lot of game content before its playable.

I don't really mind digital content anymore, just got used to I guess and physical media content can vary a lot. I'm still p1ssed about 'The Last Guardian', paid 75 for it on release and nothing but the disc in the box maybe a flyer advertising some other crap but no booklet or anything related to the game.

What's p1ssing me off even more about digital content is these feckless launchers that publishers are forcing on us - never had to use them until I got the Steam Deck..

Master of the Universe

What! That's scandalous, I didn't know that at all. So there are some cartridges out there that if you bought and tried to run without an update you might actually not have a working game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yup, LA Noire remastered for example has a big-arse banner on the box telling you that you have to download most of the game.

Pretty much done with this now. I wouldn't say a difficult repair, but the documentation for the processes involved is a bit fractured, and combined with it being a fairly new-to-mainstream repair, I was more nervous doing this than other repairs. Poking around inside the Wii U's nand filesystem isn't exactly my speciality, so I relied on a lot of help from several great people on this one. It'll be an interesting, albeit slightly technical thread, so I'll do my best to write it in such a way that it's not overly boring. Just finishing up a final nand-dump now, and that'll be that.

@Retr0gamer is your Wii U a white 8GB model? Seemingly it the nand-decay doesn't really affect these, and it's more the Hynix based models.

Same with the Spyro trilogy, it's only the first game on the disc/cart.

Speaking of Steam and launchers, the amount of bloody games I've wanted to buy that aren't available on Steam! Loads of stuff around 2005-2015 isn't available. It's just like bloody Netflix/Amazon/Disney+...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

See Antstream Arcade are putting a native app on Xbox for their retro game streaming service, good to see this become available outside the PC and mobile spaces.

It's a 32GB model. It was the Mario U with Luigi U bundle and I bought it launch day of the PS4 so that might put it in the hynix group. Anyway to check?

• Advertisement

You can open it and physically check. It's not difficult, just a little time consuming and you need to keep an eye on what screws are going where.

Or, you can do it in software, via the browser exploit, launching an Aroma Environment, and then using WiiUIdent - https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/WiiUIdent

Advertisement