Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

It is embarrassing that the former home of Irish football is in such a dilapidated state. Is the construction on the reconstruction of Dalymount supposed to begin next season or 2025? I think I remembered reading somewhere the stadium is supposed to be done at some point in 2026 but not sure when they are supposed to start. Either way once they start I wonder where Bohemians will play their home games while construction is ongoing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They were meant to be moving to Tolka when the plan was for a stadium share

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The design is completed now, planning permission to be applied for in the next couple of months (DCC will be essentially applying to themselves for planning permission so should be straightforward.) Shouldn't be any issues around planning as it's already a football stadium and zoned as such etc. Deconstruction is well underway, so the project is moving along albeit at the pace of any public project. It will be funded 50/50 by DCC and central government with DCC already committing their side of it, the rest will come from the LSSIF which was closed during Covid but there is huge cross party support to get it up and running again so that again should be straightforward. I would expect next season will be the last in the "old" Dalymount.

It will no longer be Tolka as there are more members/season ticket holders at Bohs than Tolka (speaking of dilapidated) can hold. Likely will be Richmond Park by process of elimination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hope you are correct that it is straight forward but these things usually aren't. All you need is 1 malcontent. Are Tesco on board with it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There will always be malcontents, that's part of the process. Tesco oppose everything so I'd assume they will oppose. It'll be as straightforward as these public building projects can be.

There's not much grounds for opposition though shouldn't be much of a barrier. I know from a public meeting held a few weeks ago with local residents and businesses, any concerns raised were addressed (I think the big one was people illegally parking on match nights but that's an issue regardless of a new ground.). I think most people recognize the benefits the new ground will bring to the area and the positive effect the club as a whole has on the surrounding community and indeed economy.

It's improving a community asset that's already there and has been for over 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

This comment I suppose is to do with the feedback on these soccer pages generally which I think is closed now.

Was thinking about what you were saying there and yes I have experienced this before on here. I was talking about the Shamrock Rovers match on the LOI thread while the match was on. There was hardly no one else talking about it. The regulars on the thread then showed up and one of them a Rovers fan took exception to me the “blow in”commenting on his team when I very rarely frequent the LOI thread. I was “butting into someone else’s thread” as you put it. LOL.

Part of the reason there’s very little chat on these threads anymore I’d suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ah come on, you were asked to give it a rest in the other thread and you're at it here too. You must have said how the Rovers performance was a disgrace etc at least 15/20 times. Everyone gets it. That's your thoughts on the game and most people agreed without the need for adding the disgrace comment ad nauseum.

Your take that people don't want you commenting as a blow in is frankly just odd. People have just gotten annoyed by the same post being written a multitude of times. Just take it as some feedback from people who do regularly use the thread.

One guy got annoyed and said I was repeating myself but I was only replying to others comments who were quoting me, it wasn’t as if I was sitting there repeating the same comment over and again, it was in direct reply to others.

No. The guy was a Rovers fan who didn’t appreciate me “butting in” on his thread. To be fair as a Celtic fan, there’s a Rangers fan on here that would come in to the Celtic thread at times and just say rather innocuous stuff about a particular game. I don’t respond to him. He can say whatever he likes but I ignore him because he’s a Rangers fan and I’d be suspicious of him having an ulterior motive. So yeah I get it but it does kind of shut down general debate and conversation.

With Shamrock Rovers I just want them and all LOI clubs to do well in Europe and I think it’s relevant to this thread as well. Rovers might be going through a transition period which is fine but I’d be worried that while they’re transitioning they’re still top of the league, where’s the other clubs? Probably a discussion more relevant to the LOI thread but was asked to give it a rest over there.

You were asked to give the "it's a disgrace" stuff a rest and the biting back with the poster I'd have assumed. A discussion on the strength of the league is grand, imo.

Again I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that you're not welcome to post there, your posts, while they were replies, all said the same thing. It got old very fast. And it came across as someone who had an issue with the team or the league. Just letting you know how it looked to me.

• Advertisement

I’m busy right now but I going to get back to you on this if we’re allowed to have this discussion on this thread that is.

Because we’re talking about two separate things at least here as far as I can see. One is the way soccer discussions on this site break down into different fragments. On the feedback thread which is closed now the poster Lucky Lloyd said; “Forum is dying, completely flat with very little cross supporter interaction and debate. Finding myself only coming on here regularly around Ireland matches. Get it out of the Groups section or watch it die.”

I had a look at the LOI thread when what is the biggest match of the year for a LOI team was on RTE and no one was commenting on it. Then some Rovers fan comes on today and complains that I was repeating myself, would he prefer if no one was talking about it other than him and a couple of other Rovers fans? Did I bite back him, well yeah mea culpa.

The other more important thing we’re talking about is the strength of the league. We need the league to get stronger and (at the risk of repeating myself) if the current LOI champions are going through a transition period and can’t beat the part timer champions from Iceland I find it concerning that they’re still top of the league.

Again you're taking it too personally. The only issue anyone had with you was the fact you called the Rovers performance a disgrace about 15 times. Nobody thinks Rovers played well, their own fans agreed. You'd made your point, I don't understand why it needed to be made more than the first or second time tbh, in reply or not.

On one hand you're saying nobody was discussing the game in the thread, then when they were you kept saying the same thing, you were asked to leave it out and you got your back up and felt like you were excluded.

I'm not gonna clog this thread up more as it's clearly a discussion for the LOI thread.

Feedback threads are a whole other discussion that I've zero interest in.

You have no interest in feedback but you’re giving a hell of a lot of feedback on the way I’m going about giving an opinion. You don’t like my use of the word “disgrace” are you serious? Is there any chance you might actually discuss the actual football here instead of blathering about the way I express myself.

The use of the word disgrace is apt in my opinion. We have LOI diehard supporters who complain about Irish soccer fans like me who support Celtic or you who probably support Liverpool or some other EPL club, which is fair enough. I agree with them and I’d like to see the LOI be much stronger. If an LOI club got a team into the CL I think the media would back them and they’d pack out the Aviva. I also think RTE and Virgin don’t always cover them as much as they should. However last night RTE broadcast Shamrock Rovers live and what happens? Rovers don’t turn up in the first half and allow a part time team from Iceland to dominate them at home. They are a better resourced club than the Icelandic opposition. I think the use of the word disgrace to describe that first half performance in particular is apt.

The bigger concern is as I said before (repeating myself again LOL) if Rovers are struggling in transition why isn’t there some of the other clubs taking the title off them, and I’d argue that it is relevant to this thread, or it should be. If it isn’t then that’s just another part of the problem.

Complain about someone repeating themselves…..don’t clog up the thread…..don’t take it personally……go back to the threads where you spend all your time……..nothing to see here.

You wonder why you were asked to give it a rest in the other thread. G'luck.

If you’ve nothing add because you don’t care enough or don’t have the wit to add anything of value; perhaps it would be best if you just said nothing. Just a bit of feedback for you on the way you conduct yourself if that’s ok.

Mod: Cut it out, again. Warnings will be handed out if it continues. Attack the post, not the poster. No need to give feedback on another users posts.

If you don't agree, argue your point, if you're getting nowhere in your argument, disengage before in disintegrates into this tit for tat nonsense.

Please be civil and report any post you feel is against the charter, do not reply to it.

• Advertisement

Got a good laugh at your line about the planning permission and DCC essentially applying for it to themselves.

All in all though sounds like things are on track for Bohemians to be back and playing in a rebuilt Dalymount come 2026. That will be great not just of course for Bohemians but for the league as well. That whole stadium and facilities part of the recent FAI plans was I felt crucial for the growth of the game in Ireland not just for the LOI itself although that too. We really need that part of the FAI plan to come to fruition with improved facilities across the league.

Yes I remember that but once that stadium share and selling Tolka was off the table I assumed the Tolka ground share while Dalymount was under construction was off the table as well. It will be interesting to see what Bohemians do for what seems certainly to be the whole 2025 season and maybe even bits of 2026 while construction is ongoing especially given the size of crowds they are getting these days.

Having a stadium of that quality a stone's throw from Dublin City Centre will also be a boost for football. Tallaght is a fine stadium but it's far out and there's not much around it in terms of places to eat, drink and be merry. It would be an ideal place for the likes of the U21s, U19s, Women's team etc to play out of (shared with Tallaght I'd guess).

Totally agree having a modern quality stadium right in the heart of the city would be great for use by our underage national teams and maybe as a good option for the women's teams as well. I think and you probably know best but the capacity now is looking like about 8,000 when everything is finished would I be right there?

Yes 8000 over two stands and two terraces. It's not a phased plan either so will all be done in one go, not stand by stand like Tallaght.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. 8,000 capacity sounds about right for Bohemians and hopefully with some more growth they can have it mostly full on a regular basis. It certainly though does allow them room for growth from where they are now as well. Also as you mentioned would be a great option for all our underage national teams and probably the womens full team as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

8000 is far too small. It should be at least 12000.

a new stadium with good facilities in the city centre will attract 10000 as standard on a Friday night.

Due to the footprint, the max any stadium on that site could be is circa 8,000. Fire safety, crowd control, egress etc., toilets per number of patrons are all limiting factors, rather than the size of the stands themselves.

For a regular attendance of 10k on a standard Friday night, Bohs would be looking to increase their crowd by 100%. My own feeling is that the only game you'd get 10k + is Rovers and a significant portion of that would come from day trippers and tourists (no issue with that). I would say Bohs has, at the moment about 4-5k that would be the regular support, with maybe 1.5k of that being "core" supporters, ie, those that attend by hook or by crook, good times and bad. If it were built tomorrow my guess for a bog standard league game v Sligo or Dundalk you could expect maybe 5-6k.

6k in an 8k stadium regularly (75% full) is better that a half empty one. Tallaght's capacity is currently 8k and it probably only sells out for the derby and even then it's not hard to get a ticket and Rovers are one of the better supported team in the LOI.

Either way it's moot as with current building regulations it wouldn't be feasible to expand by much.

You don’t factor in that people are far more likely to attend a ground that is modern and newly built than half condemned?

not that I doubt you but is anything published by on the record from the DCC saying a facility can only be built there up to 8k capacity?

I was at a meeting where the question of capacity/expansion was brought up and this was the answer from the councils architect.

I’d like to see the architects report or see that on a DCC report or get a second neutral opinion from another architect or civil engineer.

its just strange for me that I’ve taken an interest in the dalymount redevelopment and it’s not being that publicized that it has to have a capacity limit of 8k. It’s not mentioned in this interview in the asst CEO of the DCC. It’s more referred to there as a choice of capacity rather than a necessity ; https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/02/17/dick-shakespeare-on-dalymount-not-tolka-if-you-build-it-they-will-come/

Sounds grim for Tolka. That said I think the shared stadium was a stupid idea

Yer man Dick Shakespeare comes across as an asshole in the rest of the interview or at least acutely unaware of the value a club places in having their own home stadium.

At this meeting there were three representatives from three different companies, DCC, IDOM (Spanish company designing the ground) and a Dublin architectural company whose name escapes me (they are basically working under IDOM as a local representative on the project.). Max they said was possibly 10k if needed in the future but very difficult to go beyond that with current building and safety regulations. You've to remember it's not a greenfield site. It's hemmed in on all sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Brendon Rodgers has confirmed that Mikey Johnson will be out for up to three months.

• Advertisement

I think that’s the Canadian right back Alastair Johnston you’re talking about. He’s expected to miss the start of the season.

Mikey Johnston is back at Celtic having been out on loan.

Oh. So both of them are injured. More worried about Alastair than Mikey from a Celtic perspective. Mikey has always been too injury prone

It is an Ireland thread though and Mikey just debuted and looked decent enough. Unfortunate that he will now miss the Sept internationals

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Apparently wolves are interested in Kelleher to replace Sa who might be going to Forest.

Ultimately kelleher would have to force the move by acting the bollocks and that seems unlikely as the transfer market is gone mad but not mad enough to pay 20 million for a relatively untried keeper.

trafford has a full season behind him on loan so can see why a club would pay big for him.

Think Sa is a back up option for Forest in case they can't get a deal done for Dean Henderson. Can't see Kelleher leaving Liverpool this summer unless a team is willing to pay good money.

Luca Connell signed a new four year contract with a club option for a fifth year. Same day that was announced the EFL announced it has charged Barnsley in relation to multiple breaches (five) regarding the club's ownership and have charged two former directors for causing those breaches.

Hopefully this new deal doesn't come back to bite Luca in the ass and Barnsley do push on from last season's good form.

Denise O'Sullivan was taken to hospital with a suspected shin injury. First game against Australia is on Thursday and they played France today in their final warm up game which they won 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

The whole thing is strange tbh - Colombia deny the media access to the game at the last minute and then proceed to kick lumps out of the Irish girls. Seems like real scummy behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The concern for Ireland now is they only have two really high calibre players and both have gotten injured in the last couple of weeks !

As for Dalymount and Bohs capacity needs, the league is growing and in particular their fanbase but 8,000 should be plenty for quite some time.

At the moment they'd need to more than double their growth for that level of capacity to become a problem and if that is the case they'll perhaps find the creative means to increase it to 10,000.

If we get to the stage when Bohs need more than 10,000 capacity for more league games than not then it'll be a brilliant problem to have and a problem they can cross at that time.

But playing in a half empty stadium in between won't help them grow a fanbase or create atmosphere. One of the reason for their recent growth if probably the sellouts they've had due to reduced capacity at Dalymount. This then creates a demand for people pushing to get tickets before they're gone.

20 million for Caoimhin Kelleher? Have seen it all now

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

Last time I saw him for Ireland he looked out of sorts and severely lacking in match practice. He looked more composed the previous season when he had that run in the team with Liverpool for the EFL Cup win.

Bazunu cost Southampton 12m quid last summer after two seasons of regular appearances on loan at Portsmouth and Rochdale before that. Bazunu was dropped by Southampton towards the end of the season hopefully will get his place back. I don’t see why Kelleher would cost more than Bazunu. Kelleher is also 3 years older. I thought about 6 or 8 million for Kelleher, judging by Bazunu’s price tag this time last year? And that would be a gamble on Kelleher, he really needs to go somewhere and be first pick goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the other side, Trafford is going for up-to-19 million to Burnley having never played higher than League One.

20m feels too much alright, but 12-15m seems about right for a chap who has impressed in the Champions League, and won an EFL cup. When he's out of practice he can definitely look a bit slow off the marks to make saves, but when he's actually playing he looks sharper. And importantly he's excellent at all the other modern aspects teams look for in keepers now, very very calm and composed receiving the ball under pressure, great passer, and great vision to start counter attacks.

That lack of pure numbers is an issue though - I think Liverpool should loan him out somewhere in the upper-half championship this year so he can show what he can do, and aim for a higher level permanent move next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hes 23 with basically shag all career behind him and has never had any kind of extended run in a team.

He might move to a PL club this summer but it'd be as a back up again for a few years.

If he actually wants to play he'll have to move to the Championship to actually get starts.

• Advertisement

Trafford is the England U21 keeper? They won the U21 Euros, didn’t watch it. There’ll be an English premium attached with him if he’s any good at all. Rice and Grealish left Ireland for that reason both became 100m quid players, neither would have if they stayed with Ireland.

If Trafford does reasonably well with Burnley and wins senior English caps they’ll be able to sell on at a profit.

I hope Kelleher does get a 20m quid move, would be great for him, can’t see it though. Not sure it’s a good comparison Kelleher and Trafford, there’s no English premium attached with Kelleher.

Where are you getting it that Liverpool want 30 million?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Honestly, the club bias people display when talking about Irish internationals in this thread is a complete joke.

Good move for Keane. Ched Evans has likely played his last game as he needed surgery for a serious medical condition so this is a good replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Deji Sotona has joined Doncaster after his release from Burnley. I had high hopes for him when he was at United but never really kicked on. Still only 20, a good season there and he should move up the league's.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement