Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Scandal - Huw Edwards formally suspended over payment of explicit images of teenager Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

As far as I know, it's not clear if money changed hands or in what circumstances it changed hands. It could have been blackmail, for example. Or a totally consensual exchange between adults.

Police have said there was no crime so the bit about the bloke being under 18 and buying pictures must have been ruled out. Can't say much more at this stage, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Not trying to deflect but Lee Anderson describe the BBC as a safe haven for perverts yet there are members from his own party and other MPs accused of rape and sexual misconduct....public servants. Has he spoken about those?

Ah sure stop. The Sun and the other murdock media have been trying to get rid of the BBC for decades. This story has been a total success for them. They just want ro get rid of the competition so all the news is presented at the level of football rivalry.

Whatever happens, let's not pretend this story is about safeguarding children. It's almost entirely a free hit at the BBC.

As far as I can see, the BBC did what they were supposed to do. They suspended the presenter, did a bit of an investigation themselves to see if there was anything to it and handed it off to the police as soon as they knew there was a serious concern. Police have said there wasn't anything illegal so the BBC erred on the side of caution, which seems appropriate.

Lee Anderson is an absolute bottom feeder. Playing to the least informed part of society. He deals almost entirely in knee-jerk reaction at the emotional level. I doubt he had criticised the tory party for its handling of sex abuse allegations. Not dealing with 'Pincher by name Pincher by nature' is what brought down Johnson in the end.

• It’s also nearly impossible to find yourself admitted to hospital if you don’t need to be. It is insulting to not only people with mental health difficulties but also the doctors and admission staff who are well trained to spot chancers.

Is it not also the case that they scrutinise so hard the people who are given beds that people who actually need them sometimes get turned away in error..

besides he wouldn’t need to fake it. Like Jesus Christ if your whole life is crumbling around you because of accusations you’re some sick pedo or something how could you not suffer mentally?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

"It's also nearly impossible to find yourself admitted to hospital if you don’t need to be"

I don't think that's true at all unfortunately. The Rosenhan experiment in the 70s flatly contradicts it for example - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it a private or public hospital facility I wonder?

I'd imagine a private facility might have different priorities.

Edwards has a history of mental issues. It's obviously a very difficult time. I think the doctors would have to be very sure of themselves not to admit him and err on the side of caution.

That's not to say he is spoofing. But there's a range of - genuine issue to needing urgent care issue.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd say a lot of people would break under the pressure of being in the public eye in his circumstances. Just thinking about how it is likely affecting his partner and kids absolutely no doubt in my mind that he needed professional treatment. Doesn't make what he did right but i very much doubt the hospital admission thing is to try and get some sympathy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But they pretended to have delusions and then said they went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

The Sun Newspaper had a 16-year topless Sam Fox in its paper many years ago, seems strange how they now take the moral high ground.

It's hard to understand the backlash against Huw, it seems he didn't do anything wrong other than waste a large sum of money on something you can get for free on the Internet.

Yep - so they didn't need to be admitted to hospital (because it was an experiment), but every one of them was, and I think a couple even had difficulty getting out again.

A minor point really - I don't doubt Edwards' mental health issues as he's spoken about it before. Compare that to Dee Forbes pulling the mental health excuse out in the Oireachtas because she was under pressure for not doing her job properly and it's chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So he was under investigation internally before these other complaints were made.

• In fairness an experiment from some 50 years ago is probably not indicative of current admission policies

I’m not even debating whether or not he’s faking it I’m confident they’re definitely not but it’s wild to see how quickly it’s all labelled as pretend illness or whatever

it’s just the reality that it’s not that easy to get admitted to hospital and regardless a person with well documented depression is absolutely going to be hella depressed when they’re life is shattered in an instant.

It was reported already too that the “unnamed presenter” was beside themselves with anger so it’s completely understandable to me that developed into severe depression.

Is that not part of the stages of grief or whatever? Denial, anger, sadness, bargaining, forgiveness, acceptance or whatever they are but I know anger & sadness are there. 😂

They don't give a crap about the moral high ground. Their concern was to make it as clickbait as possible while ensuring they were not legally exposed, which is why they carefully worded everything. It was also a way to get at the BBC their hated rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He’s obviously vulnerable anyway- anyone would be given the recent publicity - with a proven underlying condition, he’s extra vulnerable.

Having a depressive episode that requires hospitalisation right now is all very possible. I’ve no issue with that.

But at some point he’s going to stabilise- and then the pressure will come for him to engage with the investigation process- it’s just a matter of time.

And if instead he resigns, then not sure what public statement by the BBC will be possible because he’d be under no compulsion to cooperate, leaving them without the full facts or input.

There'll be multiple different lines of investigation.

(1) Payment for the explicit images. This is the first case that the Sun went rabid on.

(2) Allegation of threats made in messages to someone who didn't want to meet up, and then threatened to expose Edwards if he didn't cease contact.

(3) Breach of lockdown rules to visit a different young man. Money changed hands but seemingly all that happened was Huw made a cup of tea and had chat.

(4) Accusations of inappropriate \ suggestive unwanted messages to junior BBC staff.

Only the last one really speaks to it as a 'BBC' issue as opposed to a Huw Edwards one, though their code of conduct may be broad enough to cover the others. The Covid lockdown breach is sensitive for the BBC given how they've gone after politicians for covid breaches.

I'm not sure you can really dismiss the experiment on the basis of age tbh. What's changed, for example? It's a very very difficult thing to even diagnose. You can see echoes of the ideas in some of Louis Theroux's documentaries, where a condition of leaving is to agree you're insane, and if you don't think that then you don't get out.

I don't think your comment that it's "nearly impossible to find yourself admitted to hospital if you don’t need to be" was correct.

And again, I don't think it's relevant in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That's where there are loads of questions outstanding. Maybe he just enjoyed the personal connection. I presume that's the appeal of onlyfans. There's the possibility it had little to do with pictures and was a straight blackmail of a publicly straight guy on a dating site.

I don't pretend to know what's happened. Nothing illegal, according to the police. If its a case of a guy having a type of consential extramarital affair, then it's mostly a matter for Edwards and his wife. Where the money comes into it remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

How do we know whether the young person is male or female?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I don't think The Sun or other media actually disclosed the gender(s) of the other parties. Over focus was on age from The Sun.

• because medicine has advanced leaps and bounds in 50 years.

If you disagree that’s fine, it is my experience that being admitted isn’t as simple as being depressed, you need to be at risk of harming yourself and/or others and psychiatric consultants are very experienced in figuring out who is and who isn’t.

"The Sun lit the fuse and let us add 2+2 and come up with Jimmy Saville the sequel".

Pie is brilliant. He makes a fair point.

Once the police concluded it wasn't a police matter, then it's really just voyeurism at someone who has a wife and family and was outed as gay in the most public way and with the most negative slant possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lying shower of scumbags living up to their reputation

"The Sun alleged in a front-page story that the presenter had paid a young person, now aged 20, for photographs. The tabloid suggested this had started when the individual was 17 – a potentially serious criminal offence.

Officers at Scotland Yard have now concluded there is no evidence to support this allegation, leaving the Sun facing questions about its reporting. South Wales police also believes there is no criminal case to answer.

The young person’s lawyer allegedly told the Sun last week that the story was “rubbish” and no illegal activity took place, although the tabloid did not publish this denial until Monday night.

On Wednesday night, the Sun denied its article ever alleged criminality had taken place, saying: “Suggestions about possible criminality were first made at a later date by other media outlets, including the BBC.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jul/13/huw-edwards-bbc-to-focus-on-fact-finding-as-police-say-no-criminal-case-sun

Has it in this case though? The Louis Theroux documentaries - which have parallels with that experiment - were in the last 10 years. And the issues which saw the NHS gender dysphoria unit for kids shut down would argue against your point too. A court even accepted a victims argument that she hadn't been challenged enough before going for treatment.

(And I should note I've no intention of turning this into another gender debate! But there are parallels)

A bunch of slimeballs, but they will get away with it again, sadly. I won't be too sad the day Rupert pops his clogs

Indeed. A horrible little man that has way too much influence.

Is it clear yet what part of the Sun's article was nonsense?

The age? The £35k? That it ever happened at all? Or a pick and mix?

(Apologies if already covered in thread and I've missed it)

• Advertisement

As the cops have ruled out any criminal activity in this case, the age would seem to be a load of bollocks.

Advertisement