Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bismuth 12 bore cartridges for duck shooting.

Options
  • 12-07-2023 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have just spent most of the afternoon trying to source bismuth 12 bore ammunition for duck shooting without success. Does anyone on here know of any dealers in the Republic who are selling this ammunition?

My gun has fixed chokes and 21/2" chambers and so cannot use steel shot without considerable modification which would require having it re proofed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

If your gun is choked 1/2 or less in both barrels then you might be able to get away with using "standard steel" cartridges (not high performance steel).

How old is your gun? It might be no harm to email a few cartridge manufacturers with pics of your proof marks and ask them if your gun will take the standard steel shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

Gun was made in 1902. It was sleeved in the early 1970's and nitro proofed for 21/2 cartridges and is choked 1/2 and full hence the need for modification to shoot steel and re proofing. This would not be an economic proposition. Main problem is that I shoot very well with this gun and have no desire for change having used it for 42 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I'm in the same boat. Not as old as your gun, but have a Monte Carlo from the 70's, that I wouldn't part with. Was my Father's gun, that he gave to me. Not going down the road of modifying the gun, so only option is to find suitable cartridges apart from lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Try getting the chokes opened out. If you shoot well with the gun you will shoot even better with more open chokes. “Chokes are the damnation of good shooting” I can’t remember who said it but he’s quite true.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but just wanted to give a heads up that bismuth cartridges are now widely available here with minimum order quantity of a single box of 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Have you used them yet, and how do they perform in your gun?

i've been out 3 times flight shooting and shot 4 mallard with them so far. My son was out once with me and has shot 2 mallard with them.

Penetration is not as deep as lead but it kills them fine. The cartridges I got are Eley VIP 5s in 32 gram. When I bought them they were only available to order with a minimum of a slab of 250 from Ardee Sports. Good to see that they are available in single boxes now.

My son is shooting them through a Lanber multi choke of about 2000 vintage.

Advertisement