Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Niall145

Warmer in the capital of Greenland (Nuuk) than it is in Dublin right now. Thats a rarity...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lot of showers the first half of the day here in Kerry, brighter and dried up later in the afternoon, high of 17.3C and currently 15.1C

Nice walk along the coast this evening in a light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Fair enough. Perhaps not quite 6 weeks so 😃

Enjoy Spain - hopefully you'll bring some good weather back with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭appledrop

So here is my round up of a few days spent in Wicklow during an Irish summer in July. Monday was an absolute washout, never stopped all day, we did the Powerscourt Gardens early in the morning had the rain jackets on so it was just about doable. Well as we're walking back to car absolute heavens opened and was like that for rest of day. I sent my cousin who lives abroad photos of us enjoying our trip and she was like 'FFS appledrop I forgot how brutal the Irish summer is😁.

Tuesday was a typicial Irish summer day. We headed to waterfall, one minute I was plastering the kids in suncream when sun came out for 5 mins( despite protests from 7 year old) the next minute everyone was running under the trees to escape the downpours. We can certainly all move when we want. Spent a great few hours there and rain jackets were on and off like yo yos😁.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think there is a huge variation in what people thought of the second half of May to 1st week of June period. In western coastal counties it was mostly blue skies and 20 to 25c. Leinster particularly eastern coastal counties it was blue skies for the final 2 weeks of May but that nagging breeze killed most of the warmth in the sunshine and temperatures generally 14 to 16c but it was the first week of June which was the coldest and mostly cloudy with temperatures here generally 12 to 14c. An enormous difference between east and west, about a 10c difference day after day. Midlands faired better than the east but not as good as the west and there were days where the nagging easterly was felt well into the midlands.

Today was a lovely day here in Meath, a nice settled and warm day in what is an unsettled period of weather so today was much more enjoyable than several of the days during the first week of June, got close to 20c here today and several hours of sunshine and thankfully no rain or showers today. Monday was a truly atrocious day and really has been the only properly crap day since the fine spell broke about 2 weeks ago.

While July has been mostly unsettled up to this point, it isn't in the same league as July 2020 which was horrid from start to finish. July 2020 is going to take some serious beating.

• Advertisement

What I will say about this current unsettled spell for July is its not cold thankfully.

Today was a lovely day( of course we were back home😁) but at least I got all the holiday clothes washed and dried in one go, great drying out!

Yes - temps in the East have been around normal even for July (19º to 21º most days). Phoenix Park station is even running slightly above its LTA for the month.

It's been cooler further West though with some stations only getting to 16º or 17º on some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

8 degrees this morning at 5:30 coats definitely needed 🥶

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Someone yesterday referred to May and June as brilliant months of warm dry weather in Dublin this year. Like seriously it’s this type of stuff that’s the other side of the argument about peoples perception of good v bad weather. May categorically was not warm and dry in Dublin and was not a brilliant month. There were 2 weeks in June that were beautiful and since then it’s been a mixed bag. Yesterday was a nice day in the city centre not brillint but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well according to the met eireann website " it will become mostly during the day" ...they probably should have stayed in bed 🙃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My god, the fax charts for Friday and Saturday are an absolute horror show for the east in particular. Don't think i've ever seen such wet charts two days running.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭gilly1910

I think it's been a very average Summer, we had a few good weeks around the end of May/early June, but ever since then it's been very poor, and July has been pretty much a washout with rain most days/nights, with this trend expected to last into August unfortunately. The problem with this country is that it could rain constantly for two months, then we get a week or two of good weather and most people lose the run of themselves, banging on about how it's hotter in Ireland than Spain, what a glorious Summer it has been etc. We have very low expectations in Ireland when it comes to good weather, so we tend to massively over-exaggerate any good weather that we do get, and the awful weather that we previously had is quickly forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭gilly1910

I couldn't agree more, late May/early June while very warm in Dublin, were unusually nowhere near as sunny as the rest of the country. Even now I am finding that I need to wear a jacket in the morning for cycling into work which I would never normally do at this time of year, so yes it's worryingly very poor so far this Summer. I am one of those people who despises Winter, so if we get a bad Summer it can make Autumn/Winter so much longer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I totally agree that here in the east at least, it's been a very average summer up to this point and we're now at the half way stage this summer is nowhere near as good as either 2022, 2021 or 2018. Just average, we've had 2 properly warm days over 25c, a 2 week spell of temperatures over 20c and plenty of rain this month already with loads more to come over the next 2 days and it will continue unsettled all through next week and possibly well beyond. We've had 2 chilly weeks which were week 1 of June and last week although it wasn't as cold as that first week of June, just more unsettled.

As for the overall summer everything now hinges on August, will we see a major improvement from the relatively cool and unsettled July or could we see a return of somewhat decent weather in August? If the unsettled and relatively cool theme continues through August then I will definitely be calling this a poor summer, if we see a decent improvement for August over July then we could end up with a fair to good summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

15 degrees today, in mid July.... very poor 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was bone dry in Galway from end of May to end of June. 5 weeks of hardly any rain. The grass stopped growing.

I will take that any and every year. I took 2 weeks off with little notice and they were wonderful.

Given the forecasts I have been expecting every day in July to be poor but they haven't been half as bad as expected. There are always long windows of pleasant weather. Last Thursday (I think) was the exception where it rained all day long. And we've had epic growth since.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭alentejo

Very depressed looking at this weekends forcast in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The cold mist/drizzle that we usually get in august has arrived early....sure you'd forget its even summer until you see the weather in other countries now on tv...and thats every summer

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

People would probably appreciate a good July before a good June. July is the peak of Summer and temps would probably be high 20’s at least,maybe low 30s in a right good spell…whereas June was low to mid 20s … I’d rather a good July and first half of August than a good last half of May/June

I don't want to get in a row with you, but what are you basing this on?

Both May and June were much drier and warmer than the LTA at all the official Dublin stations.

Phoenix Park ran at about 45 per cent rainfall for May. Ran at more than two degrees above LTA in both months.

I get there were easterly winds to take the edge off the temperatures but saying May "categorically was not dry" when the evidence is literally right there to prove you otherwise is a bit strange.

I can understand (but totally disagree with) your point about perception with regards to warmth but rainfall is pretty cut and dried if you pardon the pun.

• Advertisement

I mean it was the warmest June since 1976 in Dublin with sunshine way above average. But whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I should have clarified sorry. May to me was not a “brilliant” month in Dublin and certainly did not feel “warm.” It was dry allright I will say that. My experience of June in Dublin was glorious first couple of weeks but from the middle of the month on it was very thundery and wet albeit continuing to be warm. So what I am saying in a long winded way is May was categorically not a “brilliant” month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Phoenix Park may have been warm, but anywhere near the sea or even around the city with the wind up the river was cool, it was windy most days - I cycle to work and was close to wearing gloves a few days.

I was definitely dry.

Ah well it's lashing again.

Of course I'd love it to improve but in fairness, I wouldn't be able to cope with heatwave in Europe at the moment.

We love Lake Garda but have switched to Lanzorate for last two years with baby and looks like we made the right choice. High twenties is all we can really take to be comfortable with the kids.

You could puck a ball over the Conyngham Road into the Liffey. The Park is about a 15 minute walk from O'Connell Street. I doubt there is much difference.

I'm sure some coastal areas were cooler with onshore breezes but assertions need to be backed up with actual evidence rather than you telling me you nearly had to wear gloves on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Just to cheer everyone up

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Munster, Connacht

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Spells of heavy rain on Friday

Blustery at times also, especially on south and east coasts. 

Possible impacts:

Localised flooding

Poor visibility

Difficult travelling conditions

Valid: 02:00 Friday 14/07/2023 to 19:00 Friday 14/07/2023

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Spells of heavy rain at times on Friday from noon onwards

Blustery at times also. 

Possible impacts:

Localised flooding

Poor visibility

Difficult travelling conditions

Valid: 12:00 Friday 14/07/2023 to 00:00 Saturday 15/07/2023

Ok, that's very different to your initial claim, which didn't have any grounding in truth.

All the evidence points to it being both a very dry and warm two-month period at all stations in Dublin.

I think looking at facts and data is a far more valuable way of reflecting on the weather than feelings, perceptions and experiences. The mind can play tricks on us.

June was the warmest June since 1976 in Dublin despite a cold first week of June. 1 week of cold weather in a month does not mean the entire month is going to finish colder than average. That first week of June daytime temperatures struggled to get out of the low teens in Dublin.

Once we lost that nagging easterly wind, winds went into the south and temperatures skyrocketed from 13/14c to 22 to 29c during week 2 of June and warm night time values. Week 3 was also very warm indeed with temperatures close to mid 20s on several occasions. Weeks 2 and 3 of June is what caused the overall mean temperature for June to go from 2 degrees below average by the end of week 1 to almost 3c above average by end of week 3. Week 4 was the breakdown but it was still warm most days so in the end Dublin finished up with it's warmest June since 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A spell of unseasonably wet and windy weather is expected this weekend as an active low pressure system moves across the country.

Met Éireann forecaster Liz Coleman explains “From midnight tonight we’ll see a band of heavy and persistent rain move up over the south, coupled with fresh to strong easterly winds, leading to choppy conditions at sea particularly on southern and eastern coasts. The rain will track northwards over the country tomorrow, Friday. That rain will be heavy at times with possible impacts including localized flooding and difficult travelling conditions. Somewhat drier conditions will develop in the south later as the rain clears but heavy rain will continue over much of the northern half of the country. Met Eireann has issued yellow rainfall warnings for all counties.”

On Saturday we can expect a further band of rain or showers as the low pressure tracks eastwards, introducing fresh to strong and gusty north to northwest winds. It will be particularly windy along exposed coasts in the west and northwest with further weather warning likely to be issued.

Liz Coleman continues “We don’t want people to be caught off guard, especially with summer holidays in full swing. We ask people to keep up to date with the forecast for their area via www.met.ie and through notifications on the MÉ app. For further advice on how to plan accordingly check BeSummerReady.”

The winds will moderate westerly on Sunday with a mix of sunny spells and scattered showers and early indications are for our weather to remain unsettled into next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Janey Mac. Any point getting out of bed tomorrow 😳

Advertisement