Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Personally I'd love to see ye go after Caicedo if only to annoy Chelsea who have sold their entire midfield this summer😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

A disappointing day? All we know is someone is offering him a load of money? Why is that disappointing? Wait until he signs or says at least anything indicating this isn't just a complete and utter load of speculation, rumor and transfer nonsense before being up set. We have no idea if any of this is true, or even being considered by the players at all.

Silly season is getting sillier by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't care what Henderson does but any and all work he's done with LGBT advocacy in the sport is completely tarnished if he leaves for a nation that would throw him in jail for holding those same beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

200k more a week at least, show me someone in the Twilight of their career that wouldnt take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

If I already had 25m, and could get 10m elsewhere?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you think this is all nonsense you are the one being silly.

Too many credible journos on this one for it to be fake. Henderson may yet change his mind and / or the club may refuse point blank to let him leave. But you have to understand that this is trending in one very clear direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Losing Hendo and Fab this summer would be a nightmare. We def won't be competing for any PL title if we lose both of them regardless of who we get in. Our midfield needs time to gel.

To add to this, we also need a LCB plus I suspect we may lose Salah next summer. The title challenge maybe further away then we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I think we can afford to lose one of Hendo, Fab and Thiago but only one. Yes, our midfield needs an overhaul but that is too much upheaval. I would have thought Thiago would be the one to leave and Hendo is the one I think is most vital that stays. Too much smoke so there has to be some element of truth in it.

Very had for the club to turn down money for them though. £40m rumoured for Fabinho, I would have taken that in a heartbeat around January.

Is Henderson effectively retiring from international football though if he makes the move? He didnt look like someone who was thinking of walking away during the summer games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

If he left our title charge this season would be over before it begins imo. Not that Hendo alone is key to a title charge but we have lost so much in the dressing room by losing Milner already, if we lost Hendo as well we would have very few leaders in the team. When we won the league we had a team full of leaders with alot of them being captains of there international teams or at least senior figures for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The real worry would be if they come in for Mo, he's probably the most high profile Arab player in the world and no doubt they have their eyes on getting him. I would think we are fine this season, but, I'd imagine they will make him an offer next summer.

As for Henderson, I'd be sorry to see him go, and he'd be selling out on his values to go, he has a decision to make and he doesn't have to go, so will be interesting to see what he decides. If he does go, he can't really give his opinion on inclusiveness, etc. in the future considering where he'd be going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yup, easy to preach equality until a regime lines your pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Might not be the worst thing in the world if we get a huge Saudi offer for Mo next Summer. Obviously he'll be a year older at 32 and it could allow for a Coutinho style reinvestment into the playing squad. That said Mo is in such superb condition that he could continue being effective at the top level for a few years yet. Will be interesting to see how he performs this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't think we'd get a big offer for Mo. Like Hendo, they'd low-ball it because they'd offer the astronomical wages and make the player make the decision, thus lowering the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I think it's silly getting upset and saying it's disappointing behaviour from the captain when it's literally just an offer. Which may or may not have made its way to Henderson, his agent, or even the club.

Could there be truth to it? Yes, however, time and time the again the journalists have been proven wrong. Definitely have no problem discussing or letting people discus rumors but I just find it silly taking any of this seriously until you see confirmation from the club or player that the rumor was true (which is extremely unlikely) or that they have signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The idea of a testimonial these days is a little moot, isn't it? I thought the reason you had them back in the day was to provide the player a little cash for his retirement as they would get most of the money raised from the match. These days with players earning +£5m per year there is no need to offer them this match.

Now if there was a charity of the player involved it may be offered for the charity to benefit. But as Osmosis Jones mentions it may not mean much depending on the charities involved if the player decided to take money from the Saudi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah Mo is very much in the mould of a Ronaldo, he’s got a ridiculous work ethic and is only focused on improving with age rather than going the other direction. There aren’t any signs of him slowing down and he’s never injured either. He’s played 305 games for us since 2017 and he’s missed three due to injury in those 6 years. Thiago misses that many every fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Lads saying they would turn down tens of millions for two years work where they will be treated like royalty are talking through their hole...it's no stain on Hendo,none,he could do great things with that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yeah there is no reason for them to offer inflated transfer fees. They are paying massive wages to convince players to play in an inferior league and essentially end their careers. On a side note I would be interested to see if any of the players who move to Saudi continue to play for their national teams. But yeah clubs don't need extra convincing to sell to Saudi Arabia, to them money is money. The club doesn't have to move to Saudi, just the player hence the massive wage offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jack747

The talk of a testimonial for Henderson doesn’t sit right . I’m sure what it would generate would equate to a couple of weeks wages from his potential new salary! Not sure if the charity would accept his blood money.

• Advertisement

Yet some would let Mo go before Thaigo, mental really. Was hoping the Saudis might take Thaigo off our hands, but, I suppose even they would baulk at paying a few hundred grand a week to a guy who rarely plays.

Most top players donate their testimonial money to charity these days ,and many great charities could do fantastic things with such a big windfall.

But continue to sensationalise if you wish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Me too. Never really warmed to him. He isn't what our midfield needs (a crock) and his availability record is shocking. But for Ox and Keita making him look less bad, he'd be long since called out by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jack747

I totally agree with this. Thiago gets away with murder imo , lauded as a god online while Henderson gets abused.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don’t think anyone anywhere would suggest keeping Thiago over Mo…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Don't know where Hendo fits in this team, he's awful as a six now, and very little output for the right side role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Henderson has a carefully carved reputation on social issues that he's put a lot of effort into, more than most have done. If he wants to trade that in fair enough, but he would also deserve every bit of grief for it as well.

It's just interesting to me that people are jumping to his defence if he goes to Saudi Arabia while screaming red rain at Michael Owen all because he went to Manchester United.

We are a club deeply steeped in social issues and all people can say is "WHAT WOULD YOU DO FOR THAT MONEY!?"

Fuck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

If it's 10m then it's a terrible deal. We end up massively worse off and we send them a high profile player to further legitimise their clown league which could fast become a legitimate rival. We're not really in a position to be doing him favours due to his past service.

• Advertisement

Atrocious deal alright, makes no sense from the clubs point of view. Club captain, de-facto international captain, the leader and standard-setter, and the guy best able to push the rest of the team on when we need a big performance. For 10m - or even 20m or 30m - i'd much rather just keep him until his contract expires. His presence is at least that valuable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If he leaves so quickly one would have to wonder if maybe his return to pre-season showed up something a bit concerning. At 29 with 3 years left on his deal, and with our midfield already decimated, you'd have to think he'd only be left go if they reckon the 'old Fabinho' just isn't coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Looks like he's leaving just as quickly as he arrived 😞

It's all getting rather depressing imho....very hard to have any meaningful connection with players and clubs with this kind of shyte going on....feels like the Rubicon has been well and truly crossed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I was watching the first day back at training video posted this week, i noted Fab looked absolutely exhausted at the bleep tests, i know they're not easy going but he was far worse off than the other lads doing them.

If the reported 40m is true then we are getting a good deal, i'll wish him well, and thank he for the exceptional effort he put in over the last 5 years.

I wonder what injury he last got that knocked the stuffing out of him, he was imperious for year's before that

It wasn't an ACL or anything like VVD had but must have been serious enough....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If that’s true. We need a DM like….. right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Maybe Fabhino is suffering from long COVID?

We needed a DM anyway, but we probably need 2 now. An established destroyer and an understoody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Barella and a DM now if both lads leave. Keep Morton around as backup and look to buy a younger guy in January.

• Advertisement

Fabs missus seems to have confirmed it with a new follow on her social media account 😕

He's gone by the looks of it

I'll get slaughtered for this, but, I'll say it anyway. He is one of the top earners at the club, he has been unavailable for 40% of all competitive matches since he signed, this unavailable puts extra strain on other players ie Henderson, Fabinho who ended up having to play when they really needed a rest. He's a player with great ability, but, doesn't suit how we play, he looks good when the team is playing well, but, he's a luxury we can't afford, when the team isn't playing well. Doesn't really know how to tackle, is not a leader, doesn't score goals, his assists and pre-assists stats are low for a creative midfielder.

I don't doubt he has great ability, but, he's not suited to how we play, plus his availability is a massive issue, the main issue really. He will probably be only available for 30 games this season ( fine if you could select the 30 he is available for, but, it's any random 30 and probably in 3 or 4 different stents). I would see letting him go as getting rid of an injury prone player on a high wage, he'll also be going on a free next summer so we'll end up getting nothing for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Some drop in the weekly wage bill, temporarily hopefully, Henderson,firmino, fabinho would be some of the high earners, milner,keita , chamberlain would be mid earners, there's a good few lower earners going also, there must be seven or eight hundred thousand a week off the salary, our two signings would be more mid I am guessing,so take milner and keita off it , hopefully some " marque" signing to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Last season Fab couldn't run and barely jog around the field and the amount of posters on here saying he was finished was unreal. Now posters are upset that he is leaving. Getting the rumoured 40 million for him could be great business,Let's see who is brought in first before people lose the run of themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Excellent. These will be the same lads who will happily support the club once we put our noses in the Middle Eastern ownership trough. You can't just blindly support the club or individuals who represent the club. This is where most of the PL is headed - if you can't beat them, join them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's fantastic business.

If a player in their late 20's/early 30's spends a season looking like they've lost their legs . . . they've probably lost their legs, and are unlikely to ever return to their previous peak. Not impossible, but very unlikely.

I've no problem with Fab going as I think he's done for us. Even his end of season uptick in performance still wasn't amazing but was a notch or two above the absolute garbage he served up earlier in the year. The fee is reasonable but given the monies touted, I'd hoped for more given the remaining time on his contract.

I would have no issues losing Thiago for similar money either, but I think selling Jordan for anything less than 40M is criminal. He still has something to give on and off the pitch. For the right money, I've no problem with him leaving either though. I just won't support him anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Nah, you won't get slaughtered, it's a very valid opinion. It's just you do over-egg the pudding sometimes 😉

His injury record is, of course, massively disappointing. I disagree about his play (when fit) though, I think he improves us massively

That said, if you offered me a straight swap for someone like Caicedo or Rice I'd take it. But I wouldn't be keen on selling for what I assume we'd get, probably around 20m

Similar opinion on Fab, 40m is good business but I really worry it leaves a hole that can't be filled with just 40m, and I don't know if there's much more money there. It's not that I think we'll get prime Fab back, it's that I'm not sure we'll be able to replace current Fab with our budget. Hopefully I'm very wrong though

And 10m for Henderson? **** right off Stevie, that's an insult

I do worry about the amount of turnover in our midfield. They could take 8-10 games to get used to the system, and each other, and the title could be out of reach by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We need to be realistic, while I hope I am wrong I don't see a title challenge this season either way, get a young squad ,champions league qualification and build for a title challenge 24/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You need a blend of youth and experience in any successfull team, losing Milner, Ox , Naby, Hendo, Fab, Bobby all in the space of a few weeks is too much.

All of them league and european cup winners, you can replace talent but you can't replace experience.

They have declined physically in the last 2 years sure, but the leadership they offer is crucial to the younger players and the newer players that have never won anything yet.

Ideally you'd phase out one or two every summer but we neglected to reinforce midfield for 2 years and are now paying the price.

Advertisement