Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

on current form neither hlm or Lowry are getting pick,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Lowry was one of the few players from Europe that took a point last time out. I dunno what his relationship with Luke Donald is like though but he might have some credit in the bank.

There's time for both to regain some form but I'd be more concerned about Power. Regardless of selection, the USA team will absolutely star studded and favourite to win away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Scrabbel

Good to hear that he went to Baltusrol yesterday to follow Leona around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I don’t think Lowry’s form for the rest of 2023 matters. He’s an absolute cert to get a pick no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭abff

I think there are five certainties to either qualify automatically or get a pick - Rahm, McIlroy, Hovland, Fitzpatrick and Hatton. Fleetwood and Rose are also likely to get a pick if they don’t qualify automatically. That leaves 5 places up for grabs and I can’t see Lowry falling far enough down the pecking order to not get picked unless 3 or more outsiders force their way into automatic qualification.

Power, on the other hand, will require a dramatic improvement in form if he is going to be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

and Lowry showed a bit of form today so you could be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seamus needs to get going fast. He's on the verge of falling out of the top 50, currently 49th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Yes hopefully he can stop the rutt. I think Ryder cup is gone (unless he gets a win) and unless he does well in the Open he’ll be out of top 50 by end of July. However, a couple top 20s in regular pga evens before the playoffs start and he still will have a chance of top 30 FedEx which will be a fine season overall. He can then try and get back to top 50 by end of 2023 and secure the Masters again.

Seamus is now down to 50th. This week represents an opportunity for him to turn things around. There’s only 9 players from the top 50 in the field, only one of whom is in the top 20.

A top 5 would move him up a few places and give him some momentum before the Open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Looks like it'll be a birdie-fest this weekend, but solid start from Power so far. -4 through 5 holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He was -6 through 8 but then the engine stalled. Finished -5 with a bogey on his last hole from the middle of the fairway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

The putter went cold, he was still hitting it in close, just didn't make anything after making a few early.

It's amazing the amount of times he bogies or doubles the last!

Hopefully he can find another -5 today or at least -3/4. A top 10 this week makes top30 FedEx cup a realistic goal again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Putter stone cold again today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Unfortunately not doing anything again today...really needs to pick it uo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Seamus is tearing up the leaderboard today. -6 through 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

finished with a 64 after going out in 29. T8 at the moment but realistically will end up somewhere between 20-25th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Looks 13th...Great final round. Shame he didn't do a little better on the 2nd and 3rd round ...could easily have been top 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Good to hang in for top 15. There was a lot bunched behind him, thought more would pass with holes in hand

Seamus remains at 50th in the world rankings. He’s moved ahead of Patrick Reid, but Adam Schenk moved up from 51st to 45th with his T4 finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭paulos53

Seamus has withdrawn from the Scottish Open after 9 holes. Hopefully it is not serious and he will be fit for next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From the 'Feed' stream on the ET webpage for the Scottish Open. This was also reported earlier on the BBC Sport app but they've pulled it for some reason. Hope he makes it to Hoylake next week.

Some not so good news here - Séamus Power has had to retire from his round with a hip injury after playing the back nine this morning.

https://www.europeantour.com/dpworld-tour/genesis-scottish-open-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

That's got to be curtains on the ryder cup 😣

Balls that is not good. Hopefully it isn't a chronic injury.

The skeptic in me suspects he's been playing injured for a while.

It may explain his relatively poor form of late.

It's not a massive stretch to think so but it is pure speculation. I've no evidence to support my argument. I just hope he's fit and healthy again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It might just be muscular and a couple of good physio sessions sorts it out.

We really don't know. Seamus said he'll know more about it tomorrow and seemed to suggest he'll share it with the media.

He's talked in the past about being right handed and left footed and how it means he has to do things differently with his hip.

Hopefully he’s back quickly. If he can’t play (and place top 20) in the last couple PGA events before the playoffs I don’t think he will be able to make top 30 FedEx or top 50 world rankings by end of year which makes it tricky to get into the majors next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Earlier this morning, he was listed for practice rounds today at 8:40 and 11 a.m. but his name was subsequently pulled from the 11 a.m. slot. Which suggests that he did tee off at 8:40.

If he was not fit to play then you'd expect there would have been an official announcement to that effect by now and one of the waitlisted players (of which Tom McKibbbin is one) could get the nod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

RTE interview he said he was feeling much better & expected to play...

Advertisement